follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #1

Drives: Toyota Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Waiting a year for the 86. What would you recommend for the mean time?

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while but now I have a question. I've got a 98 Corolla that I'm sick of. I'm all but convinced that I want an FRS or a BRZ (I even got to sit in the one at the DC Auto Show) but I want to wait a year to let those first year kinks get worked out and to get further ahead in my student loans.

But for the mean time, I'm ditching the Corolla and I want to spend 8-10K on a replacement, something like the 86. Miatas are out, I don't quite fit (too tall) and I need trunk space. I was really set on an RX-8 for a while but the ones in that price range are all '04s with questionable engines and no factory warranty. I'm thinking about a Celica, but I haven't been to any dealerships yet so who knows. What else should I consider?

Other random facts: I want a manual, I have a short commute and drive roughly 1200 miles a month and it'd be my only car. I rarely have others in the car and I don't really care about speed/acceleration, as long as it's decent.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Avatar_Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can someone please explain to me this "I'm going to wait a year to let the kinks get worked out"? You know this car has been in development for YEARS already right? It is not in any companies interest to release a car with issues. Have you heard of any other toyota or subaru mainstream models that have had a serious issue in their first year of production?

So basically you are willing to sacrifice a year of being able to own the car you truly want because of the fear of having to take it in for maybe 1 day of warranty work to fix a rattle or get a ECU update?
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
Can someone please explain to me this "I'm going to wait a year to let the kinks get worked out"? You know this car has been in development for YEARS already right? It is not in any companies interest to release a car with issues. Have you heard of any other toyota or subaru mainstream models that have had a serious issue in their first year of production?

So basically you are willing to sacrifice a year of being able to own the car you truly want because of the fear of having to take it in for maybe 1 day of warranty work to fix a rattle or get a ECU update?
It may have been in development for years but when it first goes on sale it will have been in production for weeks. They won't get it right on the first try and if they get it as wrong as they did with the RX-8 then I'd be looking at the entire engine failing and having to wait for a replacement to be shipped out and installed.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
A used GSXR 600
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu0u View Post
A used GSXR 600
I need something a little more practical for my only vehicle. Also, I need to be able to drive in the snow.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Get a 1988 Caddy Coupe DeVille. They're a beaut!
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
I would recommend/plug something like my XRS. They're cheaper then the Celica GT-S. The ZZE131 Corolla was only make for 2 years so they are harder to locate, Matrix XRS are usually easy to come by (I know the Corolla XRS only came with stick and I think the Matrix XRS is the same). The rear seats don't fold down in my Corolla because of the brace but I think it's got decent trunk space.

I was in the same deal a couple years ago. The RX-8 was really appealing, but you get someone that didn't know it had a wankle for an engine and it's a bit of a gamble. I thought maybe a AP1 S2000, but it might be the same bucket as the Miata for you.

I was shooting for something a lower though like a Mazda 3, base Acura RSX, lower trim Civic, Golf 2.0, Matrix XR, low milage Honda Fit. I ended up wandering around dealerships looking at the average 4-5 year old joe commuter cars mentioned above. Then I stumbled upon the front of a particularly evil looking Corolla with no price tag at a used car dealership overflow lot (it had just came in the day before). I learned the price, took a drive, and was sold on it.

Just take a look around. There can be a diamond in the rough that you never researched, and the price might be right.
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_Ko View Post
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while but now I have a question. I've got a 98 Corolla that I'm sick of. I'm all but convinced that I want an FRS or a BRZ (I even got to sit in the one at the DC Auto Show) but I want to wait a year to let those first year kinks get worked out and to get further ahead in my student loans.

But for the mean time, I'm ditching the Corolla and I want to spend 8-10K on a replacement, something like the 86. Miatas are out, I don't quite fit (too tall) and I need trunk space. I was really set on an RX-8 for a while but the ones in that price range are all '04s with questionable engines and no factory warranty. I'm thinking about a Celica, but I haven't been to any dealerships yet so who knows. What else should I consider?

Other random facts: I want a manual, I have a short commute and drive roughly 1200 miles a month and it'd be my only car. I rarely have others in the car and I don't really care about speed/acceleration, as long as it's decent.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Save your money for the car you want? Just wait for the fucking car, jesus. Fiscally responsible decisions, make them!
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exage View Post
I would recommend/plug something like my XRS. They're cheaper then the Celica GT-S. The ZZE131 Corolla was only make for 2 years so they are harder to locate, Matrix XRS are usually easy to come by (I know the Corolla XRS only came with stick and I think the Matrix XRS is the same). The rear seats don't fold down in my Corolla because of the brace but I think it's got decent trunk space.

I was in the same deal a couple years ago. The RX-8 was really appealing, but you get someone that didn't know it had a wankle for an engine and it's a bit of a gamble. I thought maybe a AP1 S2000, but it might be the same bucket as the Miata for you.

I was shooting for something a lower though like a Mazda 3, base Acura RSX, lower trim Civic, Golf 2.0, Matrix XR, low milage Honda Fit. I ended up wandering around dealerships looking at the average 4-5 year old joe commuter cars mentioned above. Then I stumbled upon the front of a particularly evil looking Corolla with no price tag at a used car dealership overflow lot (it had just came in the day before). I learned the price, took a drive, and was sold on it.

Just take a look around. There can be a diamond in the rough that you never researched, and the price might be right.
Hadn't heard of the Matrix XRS, thanks! There's some around in that price range so I'll make sure I stop and see one. I've been sort of thinking about the Mazda 3 too, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to driving up to random dealerships and seeing what they have. I'd be doing it today but I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Save your money for the car you want? Just wait for the fucking car, jesus. Fiscally responsible decisions, make them!
First off, my Corolla slowly becoming too expensive to own. I spent $1200 in repairs on it last year and even now it the torque converter's going out, it's burning oil, it has no air conditioning, the door lock is deteriorating, etc.

And second, I'm not going to throw the car away when I'm done with it, I'm going to trade it in (may sell it myself). I know it'll cost me a few thousand dollars overall, but hey, if I wanted to be fiscally responsible I'd just buy an old Honda Fit and forget about the 86.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
First off, my Corolla slowly becoming too expensive to own. I spent $1200 in repairs on it last year and even now it the torque converter's going out, it's burning oil, it has no air conditioning, the door lock is deteriorating, etc.

And second, I'm not going to throw the car away when I'm done with it, I'm going to trade it in (may sell it myself). I know it'll cost me a few thousand dollars overall, but hey, if I wanted to be fiscally responsible I'd just buy an old Honda Fit and forget about the 86.
Fair enough on the first point, my apologies.

I'm going to be harsher on your second point. It's only a fiscally irresponsible decision to buy the 86 IF you can't afford it. I assume you'd be making payments rather than buying outright, but that doesn't mean you can't afford it...that just means you'll pay more for it over time than you would at once. Most people do that, it's not the smartest, but I understand. Since you've more or less committed to buying it and your current car is on its way out, why don't you get a beater? A sub $2K car to carry you over in the mean time and sell for the same price or dispose of. Another Corolla, Civic, or something of that nature that has already lost its value. It makes no sense to buy a car for $10K and then take a hit on the trade in. That isn't being fiscally irresponsible, it's being dumb!

Save up the money and make a larger down payment. Don't waste money in the meantime, that's dumb.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
It may have been in development for years but when it first goes on sale it will have been in production for weeks. They won't get it right on the first try and if they get it as wrong as they did with the RX-8 then I'd be looking at the entire engine failing and having to wait for a replacement to be shipped out and installed.
I haven't heard about this but that seems an extreme example you are using to justify your decision. That is also not a mainstream engine in that car. It would also be warrantied and I'm sure you get reimbursement for a rental vehicle.

But if you want to go to extreme I can go to the opposite end of the spectrum. I own a 2003 honda that was a completely new car. New body, new engine, new transmission, etc from the previous year. It was built in 2002 and one of the very first off the production line and the only issue it has had was a recalled windshield wiper motor.

And being in production for a few weeks means what? They have put the cars together before as you can see there are many floating around different continents and also being driven quite hard in special events.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
buy any cheap beater and wait the year?
Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
MiguelAE86

Drives: NB Miata
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Subaru 2.5RS? It's got 4 doors, it'll be fine in the winter, it's (i've heard) pretty reliable, and i'm sure they're fun as well as cheap!
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote