follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #43
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
The classical RWD proportions of the FR-S does make it look bigger. The dramatic swooping front, elongated middle, and abbreviated butch rear with bulging fenders at the extremities throw you off. But when you see all of it in person the size gives you a sense that a lot of business was efficiently packed into a compact space. It's low, serious, and nimble. I owned a Celica GT then a Celica GT-S between 1999-2009 and its singular wedge styling (which worked as a FWD car) makes it look smaller in pictures but if you stood next to both the Celica/FR-S you'll believe the difference in those dimensions you posted.

My gripe mostly is that it is too tall. Why does a car that brags about having a low-mounted engine have such a high hood/fender line? Aside from those FAIL front wheel humps, which are strictly for show and have no function.

Note: I thought the front wheel humps were working better on the one-off roadster that was on show at DHC Toyota. Maybe the convertible FR-S will look great with them.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #44
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
...Subjective. After having seen a few on the road, I really can't say I'm in love with the styling as delivered. The stock wheel offset is awful and the back end is awfully busy. A drop and low offset wheels will fix that, but the bone stock cars I've seen in person really don't send me into a tizzy.
Subjective is the right word.

Try as I might to like it, every picture of an FRS I've seen that has been treated to a "drop and a low offset" looks wrong to me. I much prefer the stock look. I don't usually have this reaction to (reasonably) dropped cars.

Back to the review, not sure what it is Clarkson doesn't like about the looks, but hey that's OK. I agree with him on the rest of it so its all good!

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #45
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
My gripe mostly is that it is too tall. Why does a car that brags about having a low-mounted engine have such a high hood/fender line? Aside from those FAIL front wheel humps, which are strictly for show and have no function.

Note: I thought the front wheel humps were working better on the one-off roadster that was on show at DHC Toyota. Maybe the convertible FR-S will look great with them.
It's really not that tall. Sit one next to any modern American muscle and you'll appreciate how small it is. And us tall guys appreciate what height it does have.

That said, I like the wheel humps for one reason (aside from the fact that I like them aesthetically.) And that is the fact that they allow me to REALLY see the corners of the car well while driving and make placing the car accurately while driving hard a cake walk.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubieNate For This Useful Post:
QFry (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #46
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
It's really not that tall. Sit one next to any modern American muscle and you'll appreciate how small it is. And us tall guys appreciate what height it does have.

That said, I like the wheel humps for one reason (aside from the fact that I like them aesthetically.) And that is the fact that they allow me to REALLY see the corners of the car well while driving and make placing the car accurately while driving hard a cake walk.

Nathan
It's tall enough to satisfy European pedestrian impact standards.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #47
SubieNate

Quote:
It's tall enough to satisfy European pedestrian impact standards.
So you're saying it'd be better if it couldn't be sold in half the world?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #48
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Not sure if being sarcastic or just trolling?

1) Fender bulge is functional for driver to place car on road as @SubieNate mentioned.

2) Fender bulge is functional for suspension clearance. Just like the Porsche 911 and Cayman, the FR-S uses an inboard strut/spring layout (as opposed to most other cars where the spring seats hover over the top of the tire). So the struts are already placed lower than normal. But because the flat engine is mounted so low, the strut towers look tall in comparison and require the bulges:

The Veloster doesn't look particularly tall compared to other cars on the road. But when next to my car (stock height)...

Need I comment on Boxster height?
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #49
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Not sure if being sarcastic or just trolling?
Agreed. I can only shake my head in disbelief when people complain about how high this car sits. I mean, what the hell were they driving before this?!

"Dude, the FR-S sucks balls. Now my last ride... a '96 Toboggan I had when I was eight... THAT was a cherry ride yo!"
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuxedoCartman For This Useful Post:
akuhei (10-02-2012), Josh B (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #50
Skyhound

Drives: Jaguar X-Type
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Especially when they poke fun at American's obsession with accelerating quickly in a straight line for a few seconds and when they do want to turn, it must be to the left or they'll crash.
Sounds like someone missed the episode where the boys go to America to try the Cadillac STS, Chevrolet Corvette, and Dodge Challenger. Jezza and May loved the Corvette and STS when they finally got to do some mountain passes and considered them even better than European supercars. Jezza was particular happy that the Corvette had a proper manual gearbox and not everyone else's flappy paddles. Even May got in the spirit when he overtook Clarkson. xD Though the Challenger was definitely your regular old American Muscle Car.

I really do prefer Clarkson's way of reviewing, it's fun to read and keeps me engaged. Though I have no idea what he's on about in knocking the FRS in looks. I guess he must mean compared to the Genesis coupe that looks like some sort of spaceship, which makes sense since he loves crazy styling.
Skyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #51
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhound View Post
Sounds like someone missed the episode where the boys go to America to try the Cadillac STS, Chevrolet Corvette, and Dodge Challenger. Jezza and May loved the Corvette and STS when they finally got to do some mountain passes and considered them even better than European supercars. Jezza was particular happy that the Corvette had a proper manual gearbox and not everyone else's flappy paddles. Even May got in the spirit when he overtook Clarkson. xD Though the Challenger was definitely your regular old American Muscle Car.

I really do prefer Clarkson's way of reviewing, it's fun to read and keeps me engaged. Though I have no idea what he's on about in knocking the FRS in looks. I guess he must mean compared to the Genesis coupe that looks like some sort of spaceship, which makes sense since he loves crazy styling.
CTS-V. The STS was a soft midsize sedan.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #52
Mobius357

Drives: '15 WRX '13 Legacy '07 Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
As has been said, the front fenders help you place your tires on the road, likely not seeing the rest of the hood. I like the look too, gives the impression of a cobra, headlights reinforce that too I think.

It's good to see Clarkson enjoyed the car so much. Of all the various reviewers, I like the top gear holigans the most. For them, it's all about the fun factor. England must be full of exotic cars though, if these don't stand out. Seems like everywhere I go, I'm getting stared at.
Mobius357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #53
nashsnazzy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S White Out
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1 for the fender bulges. I love them and they remind of a LOT of the Cayman I drove a few months before I picked this car up. It really is all about how much fun you can have, at least for me. I used to love my 99 MX-5 for the same reasons I love this car. You could get the back to step out and you felt like superstar when you drove the car. Feeling good when you drive is really the best part of driving to me. Speed, time, everything else is secondary.

Its taken a long time to find a car that I enjoyed as much as my 99 Mx-5. I just hope that other manufacturers take a long hard look at this car's success, the MX-5's success back in the day, and bring us more truly FUN cars to choose from. I pray they don't bring us a bunch of me too cars that are FWD, styled by committee, and covered in superficial ornaments.
nashsnazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #54
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
CTS-V. The STS was a soft midsize sedan.
Both evolved from the Holden Commodore though, didn't they?
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #55
SubieNate

The one they had in the episode was the CTS-V.

I don't think the CTS or the STS were based off of Holdens.

The only Holden based cars I know of are the GTO, the G8, the Camaro, and the upcoming Chevy sport sedan.

Nathan
Old 10-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #56
yormaX
Rage your Dream

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank You soo much for spacing out the wall of text! It is easier to read for the eye!

I'm a huge fan of Top Gear, this made my day!
yormaX is offline   Reply With Quote