follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
dinfern22

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any experience with the Cora exhaust? Help, appreciated!

Hey guys, whats up!

Its been almost a year since I bought my fr-s and I've decided to buy a catback exhaust. I am buying for pure sound! I will not make further modification like headers and such, just a catback. I have been looking at many different exhaust and the Corsa exhaust caught my eye, from the videos the exhaust note sounds great! Kinda has like an exotic car exhaust note. I have a few question, if you guys could give me more details, on the Corsa exhaust with everything else stock, ill surely appreciate it! Being a college student, dropping a grand on an exhaust isn't light, so I wanna make sure everything is as expected.

Since videos don't do justice, If you own one or heard it in real life, how do you describe the sound? Does it sound raspy and like a ricer? Is it deep?

How is the loudness? Is it only slightly louder than stock, or a significant amount? I don't want to end up buying a thousand dollar exhaust and have it end up being slightly louder than stock, and not have noticeable sound difference.

Also, will it draw attention or turn heads? Haha I don't want to be an obnoxious asshole, but I do want to turn a few heads!

I'm still in the market, so if you have other catback exhaust recommendations please list them.

- Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I bought the Corsa and wasn't even considering any other exhaust precisely because of the sound.

I'm sure, just like I did, you already watched all the videos and read all the threads. Well I'm happy to say in person it sounds even better. Ever heard a Carrera GT exhaust? Like an exotic howl? That's what this thing sounds like, but obviously not AS good. My friend rode along and said it sounded like a Ferrari. It starts off with this baritone blare and at 3-3.5K transforms into this intoxicating wail. I'm still addicted and let it scream whenever possible. If you're just revving, it sounds like a tiger clearing its throat. And approximately every 5 or so shifts from 1st into 2nd, it'll give you a nice POP! when the shifter slots in.

Don't even think about it, just go for it. That first time you drive under a bridge with your windows down, drop a gear or two and floor it, omg you will be laughing and slapping your leg. That's what I was doing.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
dinfern22 (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #3
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Oh and it's significantly louder and turns heads.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I have the Corsa, been with it since September 2015. Every single day, I never tire of the cool sounds it makes.

Its loud when you want it to be. Cruising along at 60mph, no drone. After all, they pride themselves on making exhausts with no drone at all. But when you go WOT, heavenly noises start playing and you'll start grinning like a kid in a candy store.

I know a lot of exhausts do this but on decel from 4k to 3k, it'll let out a nice burble.. **almost** like the Jag F-Type. Unknown if one is able to hear it outside but from inside the cabin, its noticeable.

Definitely not ricey/raspy or tinny at all. Personal bias here, but I believe its the right spot between stock and those ear bleeding loud ones, like the N1. Beware! This is also personal taste but do not throw an aftermarket header with the Corsa. You will get drone, you will tire on long trips. My buddy had an aftermarket header with his, he traded the exhaust for something quieter.

I have an auto so the computer blips downshifts for me but if you have a manual, it'll make blipping the throttle so much more satisfying!

My advice, its rare to see one pop up but try to find it used. 1k price tag is definitely worth it but since you are in college, every dollar saved is appreciated! Its been a while but I think @Cole was still selling his? Unless its already been sold..

I think this video accurately displays how it sounds in cabin

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJa5NNH3LXQ"]SCCA Event3 2017 - YouTube[/ame]
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:07 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So, with a $1,000 muffler, one can make a FA20 engine sound like a Carrera GT or a Jag F-Type or a Ferrari ......... ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
NLS8520 (06-18-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 03:09 AM   #6
JDM4E

Drives: Honda Accord Euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I also like Corsa the most from all the catbacks available. Only problem is when you want to do full exhaust - then the design seems to stop working obviously and you are in can-zone
JDM4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
dinfern22

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I bought the Corsa and wasn't even considering any other exhaust precisely because of the sound.

I'm sure, just like I did, you already watched all the videos and read all the threads. Well I'm happy to say in person it sounds even better. Ever heard a Carrera GT exhaust? Like an exotic howl? That's what this thing sounds like, but obviously not AS good. My friend rode along and said it sounded like a Ferrari. It starts off with this baritone blare and at 3-3.5K transforms into this intoxicating wail. I'm still addicted and let it scream whenever possible. If you're just revving, it sounds like a tiger clearing its throat. And approximately every 5 or so shifts from 1st into 2nd, it'll give you a nice POP! when the shifter slots in.

Don't even think about it, just go for it. That first time you drive under a bridge with your windows down, drop a gear or two and floor it, omg you will be laughing and slapping your leg. That's what I was doing.
Jesus Christ bro!
I was planning on buying it next week...but Now i might buy it in the next few hours!
Old 06-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
dinfern22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM4E View Post
I also like Corsa the most from all the catbacks available. Only problem is when you want to do full exhaust - then the design seems to stop working obviously and you are in can-zone
Why do people get headers and other mods for the exhaust system, when they can just buy a catback? Is it for to make the sound better(Louder,deeper) or performance upgrades?
...Because if loudness is what they purely want, can't they just buy louder catabcks like invidia etc. and save money?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
dinfern22

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
So, with a $1,000 muffler, one can make a FA20 engine sound like a Carrera GT or a Jag F-Type or a Ferrari ......... ??

humfrz
Your telling me out of all these exhausts for the fr-s you've heard, not one of them has a similar exhaust note to cars like porches? I personally compared both exhaust sounds, and from what I have heard they sound similar, not exactly the same but close.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #10
dinfern22

Have you guys had any problems with the Corsa dual tips not being aligned correctly, like one sticks out further than the other? I've read some posts of people complaining about this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dinfern22 For This Useful Post:
ragnarokfps (04-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfern22 View Post
Have you guys had any problems with the Corsa dual tips not being aligned correctly, like one sticks out further than the other? I've read some posts of people complaining about this.
Yes, mine sticks out a full inch or so. Looks retarded. I'm too lazy to go through the return process, so I might ask a local shop if they can straighten it.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #12
dinfern22

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Yes, mine sticks out a full inch or so. Looks retarded. I'm too lazy to go through the return process, so I might ask a local shop if they can straighten it.
Damn that sucks.

I'm taking mine to be installed by an aftermarket shop. What should I tell them to avoid this and fix the alignment?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #13
humfrz

Quote:
Why do people get headers and other mods for the exhaust system, when they can just buy a catback? Is it for to make the sound better(Louder,deeper) or performance upgrades?
...Because if loudness is what they purely want, can't they just buy louder catabcks like invidia etc. and save money?
I do believe that most folks that buy aftermarket headers for this car, are looking for the increase in performance.

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
bababooey (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #14
humfrz

Quote:
Your telling me out of all these exhausts for the fr-s you've heard, not one of them has a similar exhaust note to cars like porches? I personally compared both exhaust sounds, and from what I have heard they sound similar, not exactly the same but close.
Well, ya, you could take an orange, peel the skin smooth, paint it red, add a stem and call it an apple .....

humfrz