follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #29
Shinigami301
Slow driver, fast biker.

Drives: '16 86, '00 Celica GTS, Sportbikes
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Whatever you do, do NOT discuss this with the other driver's insurance until you are thoroughly checked out medically. They will do everything possible to turn anything you are suffering from as a result into something pre-existing.

KEEP EVERYTHING in terms of paperwork. Police report, any medical bills, cost of lost work, etc.

And don't settle too fast either. Don't hire a lawyer until you hear their first offer. Be sure to counter for at 3X what they offer you. If they won't budge at all, THEN get a lawyer (who will cost you 1/3rd off the top, remember).
Shinigami301 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinigami301 For This Useful Post:
darthpnoy1984 (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #30
darthpnoy1984

Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami301 View Post
Whatever you do, do NOT discuss this with the other driver's insurance until you are thoroughly checked out medically. They will do everything possible to turn anything you are suffering from as a result into something pre-existing.

KEEP EVERYTHING in terms of paperwork. Police report, any medical bills, cost of lost work, etc.

And don't settle too fast either. Don't hire a lawyer until you hear their first offer. Be sure to counter for at 3X what they offer you. If they won't budge at all, THEN get a lawyer (who will cost you 1/3rd off the top, remember).

I concur get a settlement that would meet your interest nothing more nothing less. Keep us posted the 86 is a pretty tight knit community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #31
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Also, not meaning to alarm your bells, but please be careful about what you post here.

Your plate is revealed in this thread, and social media can be a potential coup de grace (forgive my omission of the accent circonflexe over the 'a' - drinkin' and too lazy to work it in) not limited to potential employers.

Lawyers and adjusters and their crawlers are everywhere.

I wish you the best.
geezerbrzeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #32
Spaz360

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbrzeezer View Post
Also, not meaning to alarm your bells, but please be careful about what you post here.

Your plate is revealed in this thread, and social media can be a potential coup de grace (forgive my omission of the accent circonflexe over the 'a' - drinkin' and too lazy to work it in) not limited to potential employers.

Lawyers and adjusters and their crawlers are everywhere.

I wish you the best.
Thank you for the advice, I blanked out the license plate number!
Spaz360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #33
Deadrik

Drives: 02 Mustang, Hopeful BRZ soon
I have a question.

In a case such as this if the car is deemed totaled, could you for instance keep the tires/rims, or would that go away with the car.

Best of luck, may you have no medical issues and a new 86!
Deadrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #34
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadrik View Post
I have a question.

In a case such as this if the car is deemed totaled, could you for instance keep the tires/rims, or would that go away with the car.

Once the car is totaled it belongs to the insurance company. Some companies may let you swap parts but technically it all belongs to them as it sits when totaled. You could not just pull the wheels and keep them without agreement from the company.
Deadrik (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #35
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have a question.

Depends on insurance company, probably not since they are included under the insurance payout(they are paying for them). I doubt the car is totalled unless there is frame damage. Seems pretty restricted to the bumper/lights
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Deadrik (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #36
Deadrik

Drives: 02 Mustang, Hopeful BRZ soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Once the car is totaled it belongs to the insurance company. Some companies may let you swap parts but technically it all belongs to them as it sits when totaled. You could not just pull the wheels and keep them without agreement from the company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Depends on insurance company, probably not since they are included under the insurance payout(they are paying for them). I doubt the car is totalled unless there is frame damage. Seems pretty restricted to the bumper/lights

That's what i was figuring. I imagine the only way you could argue about that is if you could replace a part you were taking with a stock. Take your shiny new rims and give them the stock ones.
Deadrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #37
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's what i was figuring. I imagine the only way you could argue about that is if you could replace a part you were taking with a stock. Take your shiny new rims and give them the stock ones.
Still would depend on the company and the circumstances. At fault accident where they are only paying the base value of the car then I would think you may have an argument. Not at fault where you are being paid the value of the car and any mods done to it then I doubt they would agree. You can't receive payment for the parts and keep them as well.
There have been guys here that successfully removed mods from their cars without issues.
Deadrik (06-29-2016)