follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
mynameis940

Drives: WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My battery keeps dying

My battery has been dying if I leave the car for 50 hours. The only mod I have is the winjet fog lights. The power to the lights is straight from the battery but the power to the switch is from a power source that doesn't have power unless the car is running. Is it possible that there is a slow power drain even when the car isn't running or did I mess something up?
mynameis940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Some more Q's to give people a better idea on how to help:

- Is it normal for you to leave the car uncranked for 2+ days before the Winjet fogs?
- Who installed the foglights?
- Have you had the car in for maintenance recently?
- Have you disconnected the fogs from the battery to try and determine if that is the source of the draw?

I'm shooting in the dark without these answers, but part of best practice for any electrical troubleshooting involves (1) checking the circuit as a whole with a multimeter to try and find a draw that isn't supposed to be on car 'off' mode, and (2) having the battery tested.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis940 View Post
My battery has been dying if I leave the car for 50 hours. The only mod I have is the winjet fog lights. The power to the lights is straight from the battery but the power to the switch is from a power source that doesn't have power unless the car is running. Is it possible that there is a slow power drain even when the car isn't running or did I mess something up?
How To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - EricTheCar…: [ame]http://youtu.be/KF1gijj03_0[/ame]

For your case the first thing to disconnect rather than going to the fuse box should be the wiring on the winjet foglights then move onto the box.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Koa (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I have had battery issues a few times this year. both times was leaving the car in auxiliary mode while working on it. Had to jump it both times. I felt it was strange that it happened while only being in that mode maybe 30 minutes at most.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
I have had battery issues a few times this year. both times was leaving the car in auxiliary mode while working on it. Had to jump it both times. I felt it was strange that it happened while only being in that mode maybe 30 minutes at most.
If you have it in Aux, make sure your HVAC fan settings are turned off. It can be a pretty hard drain on the system. (no idea if that is actually the cause, but throwing it out there as something I noticed)
Old 01-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
mynameis940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Some more Q's to give people a better idea on how to help:

- Is it normal for you to leave the car uncranked for 2+ days before the Winjet fogs?
- Who installed the foglights?
- Have you had the car in for maintenance recently?
- Have you disconnected the fogs from the battery to try and determine if that is the source of the draw?

I'm shooting in the dark without these answers, but part of best practice for any electrical troubleshooting involves (1) checking the circuit as a whole with a multimeter to try and find a draw that isn't supposed to be on car 'off' mode, and (2) having the battery tested.
I had left it before and it was fine, I installed them myself. I'm going to take It off The battery next time I leave my car for two days. I was planning on doing that but I'm not sure why it would cause it to drain when the switch is connected to aux power inside the car. It shouldn't be draining the battery but I don't know.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Panasonic usually makes pretty strong batteries, but in my experience with our OEM model, once I accidentally ran the battery down leaving my dome light on, it never retained a strong charge thereafter.

I've swapped out for the Optima YellowTop Dual-Purpose Battery, Group 75/25, 620 CCA - Model # D35, no problems since, even after accidental run downs.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
mynameis940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Panasonic usually makes pretty strong batteries, but in my experience with our OEM model, once I accidentally ran the battery down leaving my dome light on, it never retained a strong charge thereafter.

I've swapped out for the Optima YellowTop Dual-Purpose Battery, Group 75/25, 620 CCA - Model # D35, no problems since, even after accidental run downs.
That might be the cause I left my dome light on 2 weeks ago and now it dies after then often. I'll try removing the fog lights off the battery and if it still dies that may be the cause.

Last edited by mynameis940; 01-02-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #9
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Uhh...that really doesn't make sense.

Correct switched power circuit:

Source>switch>load device.

How can you have "power to the lights straight from the battery" if you have a switch to control the power to the light lights?

If you actually have "power to lights straight from the battery", then then the lights are energized continously and the switch plays no role.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
mynameis940

I thought it was weird as well but look up the winjet fog lights. The lights turn off when the switch or car is off. It goes power > lights > ground but then the switch also has power and a ground. The switch is connected to an aux power and the headlights are connected to the battery. The winjet how-to video shows it.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I thought it was weird as well but look up the winjet fog lights. The lights turn off when the switch or car is off. It goes power > lights > ground but then the switch also has power and a ground. The switch is connected to an aux power and the headlights are connected to the battery. The winjet how-to video shows it.

Ahh...OK. They're using a switched ground to make and break the circuit.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #12
mynameis940

No theres a ground next to the lights and another one for the switch.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #13
fritzburg

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

^this
fritzburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #14
mynameis940

Alright so it's still happening and I bought a multimeter and when the car is off it's drawing .68 amps. I pulled the dcc fuse and it dropped down to .2, so then I unplugged my ca-fi dashlinq head unit inside the car and put the dcc back in and it was at .2. Why is this head unit drawing so much power when its off? I haven't seen anyone have a problem with this

Last edited by mynameis940; 01-09-2017 at 12:36 AM.