follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #57
oso_25
OH HEY NOW!!!!

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s Asphalt
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
No comedy in the first one? The only reason C3P0 existed was to provide comic relief. He was nothing but a shiny gold stand-up act for the first three movies.
Mind you I have a totally different perspective on the movies then many of you young guys since I saw the first one in a virtually empty theater about a week after it was released. There was none of the massive canon that exists now and it was just a pretty good movie. We walked out after it was done and agreed that it was pretty much your standard western set in space (I have seen it called such since then). All these back stories and non movie additions to the Star Wars Universe had changed how you see it. As much as I enjoy them today I still think of them as just a pretty good series of movies and don't get caught up in all the other things that make them iconic to the younger generation.

Star Trek turned out really good?
Sure nice action movie but not Star Trek by a long shot (and I don't mean the whole alternate reality thing but the tone and nuance).
Kirk is an impulsive, irresponsible jerk that is just really lucky.
Spock is just a moody asshole.
Scotty is some sort of idiot savant.
And McCoy may as well not even exist.

I used to watch Star Wars when I was little so I really did not understand the humor in the movie until I was older and by then its not funny cause I seen the movie like 20 or 30 times. I felt like there was a lot of humor in this movie cause I got free tickets to see it at a Theater that was owned by Disney and was stuck with teenagers and younger adults. I love comedy as much as the next person but it seems like some ppl were just laughing at parts where it was funny but not laugh out loud of the theater funny.

I have to say I liked the first Star Trek movie, I know somewhat of the story but I enjoyed the first movie. I think JJ did a good job with that movie and was hoping he was going to make Star Wars a good movie but in my opinion he did not make me like The Force Awakening.

By the way didn't The book: The Aftermath was supposed to be the beginning and lead up to this movie? I read something about that but I am not to sure?
oso_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oso_25 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #58
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
Except I would have been okay with one scene to explain the Resistance a bit more, why are they the Resistance, they won the battle in Episode VI?
This singular point is why 1) the movie deserves a second watch, and 2) if you are a die-hard fan, you'd search for this info online or via the add-on books.

The Resistance is there because of several reasons:
  • The Rebel Alliance defeated the Empire and formed the New Republic
  • The Empire went away but not completely, and negotiated for peace to preserve what was left of it.
  • As is the tradition w/ the Old Republic, the Jedi are the guardians of peace and justice, and there is no standing army. The New Republic kept a fleet for defensive purposes but did not have an actual military force.
  • The First Order views itself as the legitimate succcessor to the Empire, and even though it is not at war w/ the Republic it views them as their main opposition.
  • Leia sees the threat but the Republic wants peace. So she forms the Resistance and essentially fights a proxy war w/ support from the Republic (much like what we are doing now in Syria).
  • The First Order sees the Republic as guilty parties for supporting the Resistance (as laid out in Hux's speech), and strikes first by wiping out the rotating Galactic Senate (currently based in Hosnian System).
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (12-24-2015), DAEMANO (12-22-2015), M-17 (12-28-2015), oso_25 (01-07-2016)
Old 12-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #59
mav1178

https://twitter.com/kylor3n

HAHHAHAHAHAA
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-24-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #60
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
What really bothered me was Kylo Ren.
imo Ren was a masterstroke. It would have been foolish to try and out-Vader Darth Vader, would have been a complete joke so you make your villain a shell of what once was and it's easy to be the top of the foodchain when you're the only player.

Personally I think Ben Solo just wasn't very good at being a jedi for whatever reason, searching for a father figure Luke couldn't devote time to him (he had to train a whole new order) leaving him out in the cold, his parents shipped him off, of course he's angsty. He has this legendary name to live up to and just doesn't. I've heard some different takes that 'he's rusty' or 'he's had no challenge to build against' but I'm leaning towards he just didn't get the special gene, we're two generations removed from the 'chosen one' after all.

Timelines don't match for Rey and Ben being twins at all imo, Kylo has been terrorizing the galaxy for at least 5 years (last time Han and Leia saw each other) and Luke has been missing for long enough that his legend has become a story rather than history and it's not like Kylo could have developed and killed dozens of in-training jedi before he hit puberty that would support Rey being ditched. Kylo has probably been tooling around the galaxy for a good 20 years at this point if I had to guess.

My only change would have been the face reveal, I wish it wasn't a closeup, if they showed his face in a wide angle would have been better. I heard some laughs and confusion when he showed his face, with the closeup it's implied you're supposed to get something meaningful out of this reveal when really it's just a man (almost a boy) hiding behind a mask. With a wide it would have de-emphasized his actual face and shown that he's not all that imposing in stark contrast to his imposing grandfather who he worships.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-22-2015), M-17 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #61
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

My only change would have been the face reveal, I wish it wasn't a closeup, if they showed his face in a wide angle would have been better. I heard some laughs and confusion when he showed his face, with the closeup it's implied you're supposed to get something meaningful out of this reveal when really it's just a man (almost a boy) hiding behind a mask. With a wide it would have de-emphasized his actual face and shown that he's not all that imposing in stark contrast to his imposing grandfather who he worships.

Relevant: http://www.starwipe.com/article/our-...about-whe-1550
Old 12-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #62
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Sorry but this isn't correct. The process of writing Ep. VII and Ep. VIII has been documented in interviews with Abrams and Johnson. It was a collaborative effort that also involved input from Disney's people. Major plot elements like identities and motivations for the series were established when Ep. VII was penned and not left wide-open. Ep. VIII's elements were written over a year ago input from both directors. Ep IX will be directed by Colin Trevorrow, but will include mostly writing from Johnson continuing plot elements that he and Abrams established. Please read here:

How J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson Collaborated to Create the Future of Star Wars
http://www.slashfilm.com/how-j-j-abr...-of-star-wars/
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...221-story.html

Quote:
Asked if he and "The Force Awakens" director J.J. Abrams had sketched out the next chapters in the saga while collaborating on the film's script, Kasdan answered, "Not really. ['The Force Awakens'] sets up a lot of stuff. There’s a lot of people to deal with. And Rian took on that job and he’s going to change it, because he’s Rian. And I’m sure Colin will change what Rian does.... These movies will all be so different. Rian Johnson is a friend of mine -- he's going to make some weird thing. If you've seen Rian's work, you know it's not going be like anything that's ever been in 'Star Wars.' "

Kasdan said he wasn't even sure yet how the story would ultimately end. Will Rey, presumably under the tutelage of Luke Skywalker, ultimately become a Jedi master and lead the Resistance to a final victory over The First Order, a la "The Return of the Jedi"? Will Kylo Ren ultimately repudiate the Dark Side, following in the footsteps of Darth Vader? Or will this trilogy end up somewhere altogether unfamiliar?

"We talked about [the ending] -- and there’s a certain thing that people who are involved with it feel should happen," Kasdan said. "There’s a kind of movement that happens. But it's not in your control. It’s going to veer off with Rian, and it’s going to veer off another way with Colin."
Old 12-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #63
Cars_&_Things

Drives: GREEN
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Has anyone spoiled that at the end of the movie the screen goes black and names scroll up?

Old 12-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #64
mav1178

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (12-24-2015), Dimman (12-28-2015), M-17 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #65
Vision86

Drives: 2015 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Watched it last night, loved every minute of the movie! The start and first act was just so awesome. Can't wait till the Blu Ray is released.
Vision86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vision86 For This Useful Post:
M-17 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #66
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
I actually really liked the movie i don't care that it took plot points from previous movies.

there's only three things that are really bothering me

1. Who the hell is snoke?

2. there's more to Rey's flashback/flash forward than is first grabbed the solution to who her parents are is in there(where have we seen that ship that is leaving before?) and what is the dialogue under Luke's NOOOOOOOOooooo scream? also i cant hear yoda in it did anybody hear what he says, because i heard obi wan say "Rey, you have taken your first step" but what the hell did yoda say?

3. I've been reading all over the internet about Rey's parents i don't agree that she was taken to Jakku after Kylo destroyed Luke's new Jedi academy they look close in age(i don't think they are twins) and Kylo wasn't the age Rey was depicted in being when she was abandoned on Jakku, she was taken there much earlier(she was hidden there) and had her mind wiped for a reason that is why after Kylo said the words the force it triggered something in her memory that made her remember her training.
I Believe she was trained by Luke from a very young age and for some reason he decided to hide her on Jakku, she is either related to Luke or to Obi Wan thats the only reason the lightsaber would call to her because other than Anakin they were the only two to touch the lightsaber, and the way lightsabers are made is by a jedi putting their own force into the crystal to empower the weapon with the force with this being the case it lends to the theory that the crystal would absorb the force of any jedi that touched it hence the luke/obi wan connection, and thats why we don't hear her last name she cannot remember it!
M-17 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 03:03 AM   #67
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Obi wan died 33 years before TFA.
Rey is 19.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
M-17 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #68
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Obi wan died 33 years before TFA.
Rey is 19.
if this was directed at me i said related not his daughter or descendant.

Oh and im calling it now, we are going to get a Rey i am your father line in the next film(or something very similar)
Old 12-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #69
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
You guys ready for this?....

Kylo Ren, Isn’t actually evil at all.
Bear with me.
The whole reason for him being on the dark side is just so he could eventually take down Snoke.
Here it is explained;
This is why he so conflicted and that’s why he feels the temptation of the light side stronger than the dark. That’s why he talks to Vader’s helmet, because he is going to finish what Anakin, the chosen one, stared. He had to completely turn away from his family in order to do that. To become a sith fully and completely you have to sacrifice someone you love to death, in his case it was Han. That’s why he tells Han he feels like he’s being torn apart inside, because he doesn’t want to do it at all, but it’s the only possible way to become a sith and complete his task. Kylo literally uttered the words “will you help me” to Han, and Han says “anything you need” What he’s asking is if Han will die in order for him to complete his f*cking task. That’s why it looked like he knew who Rey was, because he needs to protect her, that’s why he offers her to be her teacher, he needs someone as powerful as Rey. It will literally be the dark side and the light side joining up to defeat one enemy together as one, which is basically what the force is. They live side by side in it that’s why he so conflicted all the time, that’s why his fight style isn’t like a siths at all. They are always saying that the dark side and the light side are together in the force and they need the personification of both sides (Kylo and Rey) in order to be strong enough to destroy Snoke. He literally has to become a sith to join forces with a Jedi because the light in him is so much stronger than the dark and he has to get rid of it in order to do what he has to do and save the galaxy with Rey and Luke. He needs to know where like is at all times so the first order wont capture him. What if they staged Luke’s Jedi order massacre. What is Luke knows everything. What if Kyle knows they left her in Jakku so Snoke would think she died in the massacre along with all the other Jedi’s. And that’s why he reacted that way when the guy said the droid had “help from a girl in Jakku”
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-23-2015), Frs x3 (12-24-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #70
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I predict Snoke is about Yoda-sized.