follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #57
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
DANG ...... this ol boy may be confused .......

@why? ....... are there two of you with the same forum name of "why?" .. ??

Back a couple months ago a "why?" started a thread entitled "Help with essential basics".

I quote:

"Help with essential basics

Basically I want to be able to change my own oil, rotate my tires, etc, start with the simple stuff, but I need the tools. I have a set of basic tools, aka wrenches, hammer, measuring tape.

I have a dirt with some gravel driveway, so I don't trust the jack that came with the car, and I know there are all sorts of different ways to raise the car for both oil changes and changing tires, what are the easiest and least expensive tools for someone getting started?

What other basic type of stuff do I need to buy that a beginner wouldn't even think of?

I obviously need a good jack, stands or something to keep the car off the ground, a good torque wrench for the wheels,etc. I've seen special wrenches for oil filters, but is that really necessary?

What type of containers do people use to drain the oil into, where do I get them, and what do I do with the used oil?

What else would be handy and what other basic maintenance would a beginner be able to do without too much hassle? I know I have the ability to do this type of stuff, I just don't have any clue about how or where to begin and I am looking for help".

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, starting yesterday, a forum member named "why?" started posting in this thread like he/she was some kind of automotive engineering expert.

Are you one in the same "why?" .... ??

If so, how did you get so automotive smart and experienced in a little over two months?

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 12:34 AM   #58
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
According to their graph at certain rpm there is more twist with the Fluidampr than with oem. I have no idea if any of this is significant.

Attachment 149553
True, however the peaks and troughs are not as accentuated with Fluidampr as they are with Stock. Mind you, the small variations in graph are very minimal. Once you go FI or high RPM for longer period is where those differences will put a lot of stress on the crank bearings , etc. At least that is what they say. Moto IQ has done a similar test I think.
These tests are ordered by the manufacturer and obviously they will be biased, unless the product is utter shite! On the other hand, I would somewhat trust some professional tests rather than some guy on the forum. Generally speaking that is.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:41 AM   #59
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,318 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
On the other hand, I would somewhat trust some professional tests rather than some guy on the forum. Generally speaking that is.
Lol, that doesn't bode well for your input!

Please take that with my intended humor. I just found the self defeating comment funny.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (02-14-2017), why? (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #60
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Lol, that doesn't bode well for your input!

Please take that with my intended humor. I just found the self defeating comment funny.
LOL, I am not "that guy"! But i have to admit though, I have learned a lot from different people on forums that i know they have the experience and/or knowledge to back up their statements. Some of which I have the utmost respect!
You on the other hand...dont know man! You just post pics of borderline work appropriate pics, and that is about it. JK man!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (02-14-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #61
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
DANG ...... this ol boy may be confused .......

@why? ....... are there two of you with the same forum name of "why?" .. ??

Back a couple months ago a "why?" started a thread entitled "Help with essential basics".

I quote:

"Help with essential basics

Basically I want to be able to change my own oil, rotate my tires, etc, start with the simple stuff, but I need the tools. I have a set of basic tools, aka wrenches, hammer, measuring tape.

I have a dirt with some gravel driveway, so I don't trust the jack that came with the car, and I know there are all sorts of different ways to raise the car for both oil changes and changing tires, what are the easiest and least expensive tools for someone getting started?

What other basic type of stuff do I need to buy that a beginner wouldn't even think of?

I obviously need a good jack, stands or something to keep the car off the ground, a good torque wrench for the wheels,etc. I've seen special wrenches for oil filters, but is that really necessary?

What type of containers do people use to drain the oil into, where do I get them, and what do I do with the used oil?

What else would be handy and what other basic maintenance would a beginner be able to do without too much hassle? I know I have the ability to do this type of stuff, I just don't have any clue about how or where to begin and I am looking for help".

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, starting yesterday, a forum member named "why?" started posting in this thread like he/she was some kind of automotive engineering expert.

Are you one in the same "why?" .... ??

If so, how did you get so automotive smart and experienced in a little over two months?

humfrz
What you are basically saying is you cannot actually refute anything I say, so you are going to attack me personally. I get it, it makes you feel big to attack other people with no basis. I can take it, still don't care. I've had a lightweight pulley set on my Yaris for 60,000 miles. It also has a lightweight flywheel, racing clutch, the lightest wheels on the market(6 lbs each) and over 106k miles.

You can also go check other actual forum members who run lightweight everything on these cars, but I guess you don't give a crap about real world knowledge, do you? You just want to make baseless personal attacks. Go for it.

huge difference between book smart and practical being able to do anything. Same reason those ASE certifications can be dubious, they are all book testing with no actual practical testing. You can become an ASE certified anything just by studying and memorizing without any actual experience in the field.

I can give you theory, research and boatloads of actual knowledge. I've never claimed to be a mechanic nor will I claim to be able to do much wrenching myself. I just don't have the room or the place to do my own maintenance, that is what happens when one lives in a 750 sq foot apartment in the middle of nowheresville. I've got a dirt and rock driveway and everyone says that is a bad deal for lifts.

I can also read marketing bullshit and see when graphs literally say the opposite of what an article says.

But sure attack me because you don't like what I say. Still no proof any pulley alone has ever caused any damage anywhere on our cars, and I highly doubt you will ever find it. Still zero proof that anything on our car is a harmonic anything. Nor is one needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
" More complexity changes things, however that article I posted trying to sell that so called damper proves everything has vibrations, and even the fancy expensive aftermarket damper sold as smoothing everything out actually just changes the vibrations and has more vibrations than the stock ones. "

Man, are you reading the same article? Because it actually says the opposite. Or is it again based on your extensive experience? Alternative facts?

Look I get it, it might be a marketing spin, but considering Fluidampr has been around for years, had stellar results on trucks and cars, and been tested independently by quite a few places, i tend to believe them instead of your personal uneducated opinion. No disrespect, just a choice.

Here is another one that might interest you.
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...dent-Test.aspx
Still just looking at 1 graph. There are a lot of graphs and they contradict everything the article states. They also do not prove anywhere any pulley has ever caused any damage to our cars. If they actually did real research and proved a pulley can cause damage, they might have something. But they never went that far.

And look, I have never said anything against that fluidampr damper. No idea why you think I have. I have just said their graphs show their damper causes more vibrations than stock in certain areas, which is 100% true. They also do not define anywhere if any vibrations their graphs show will ever or have ever caused anyone any actual damage in any actual cars. So those graphs might look pretty but they prove nothing.

That other article states the same thing. Three pulleys that all make a hp and torque figure that are easily within the error correction of every dyno ever created. Could they actually be legit? Sure maybe. But the difference is so tiny as not to matter. Then they give their opinions that everything is smoother with the fluidampr. Which again might be true, but could also just be bias knowing it is suppose to be smoother. Who knows.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #62
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
This post is intense, so... to keep it going:
Quote:
the lightest wheels on the market(6 lbs each)
@why? Where the fuck did you find 6lbs wheels? How big (or rather small) must they be to be that light? Unless of course, you were talking out of your ass, which seems to happens a lot on this thread :P
Old 02-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #63
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Yeah I'm not even gonna bother cleaning this mess up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (02-15-2017), Hawk77FT (02-15-2017)

Closed Thread