follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
melia

Drives: WRB BRZ MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Front license plate in TX

does anybody know what is the law for the front license plate in TX? my husband just got a ticket driving my car cause it did not have a front license plate. i know they havent changed the law yet but i thought that it was only frowned upon for the front license plate.
that really sucks cause according to the "officer.com" website quote "We can technically stop for it, but there is no punishment anymore. During the last legislative update they removed the punishment on some oversight. Our DA/Courts won't take it and our Sgt's won't approve arrests stemming from that as the PC for stop"... and quote "we are not allowed to pull vehicles over based on this offense"...
so why are they giving out tickets for it????
melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Better yet, ziptie it on in the front, take a picture, then take it off. Take it to court and get it dismissed. Screw that mess. Keep it off. I've had no front license plate for 7 years.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
melia (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
melia

Drives: WRB BRZ MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Better yet, ziptie it on in the front, take a picture, then take it off. Take it to court and get it dismissed. Screw that mess. Keep it off. I've had no front license plate for 7 years.
lol thanks. thats a good idea i ll put it on with tape and take a picture of it. i am def getting a lawyer for this too. i dont want to put a front license plate on my car but it still sucks cause since they cant do that why are they giving out tickets for it?? so people can lose a whole day by going to court??
melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
you can leave it off but if you don't want to be harassed then put it on.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by melia View Post
lol thanks. thats a good idea i ll put it on with tape and take a picture of it. i am def getting a lawyer for this too. i dont want to put a front license plate on my car but it still sucks cause since they cant do that why are they giving out tickets for it?? so people can lose a whole day by going to court??
Because they are assholes. The law is changing in September last I read. They would just pull people over to use it as a reason to fish for warrants, otherwise, give you a ticket that's bullshit. It's mostly the cops that are complete ****s that do it. I've got white side markers and white turn signals with no front license plate and Tom's tail lights. Still waiting for that moment when I do get pulled over.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Foxman13
tweet me @JasonGFox

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It really does depend on the officer. I was involved in an accident a few years ago and the cop never said a word about the front license plate missing from my car.

If the state has chosen not to enforce the law, then there's a chance that the ticket will get dismissed by the judge who reviews it. Otherwise, be prepared to something like stated above
Foxman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
SigmaHyperion

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
In some 15 years driving in Texas, and countless stops, not once have I ever been ticketed for it. A handful of times it's been mentioned just as a passing comment, but never any more than that.

As for why they give tickets for it -- Note that, on the post that you quoted, the officer very specifically states that, while the law doesn't come into effect until later this year, their particular city chose to stop writing tickets for it immediately. Doesn't stop others from doing so. It remains a valid offense until September.
SigmaHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
alderaan34

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I thought the bill got left pending in the committee.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...83R&Bill=HB657

Doesnt it have to get past the process for it to become law?
alderaan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alderaan34 View Post
I thought the bill got left pending in the committee.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...83R&Bill=HB657

Doesnt it have to get past the process for it to become law?
Thing is that most people don't know that it got left pending. So cops will give out the ticket but there is no fine listed in the books for this. Although that's the case I'm sure your county will have some kind of made up number to charge you with if you don't contest it.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
jam0o0

Drives: 2013 FR-S, hot lava
I haven't had a front plate in houston for 7 years. only got one warning about it when speeding through a small town. forget the plate. forget a lawyer. just show up in court and it'll get thrown out. bring a printout of the soon to be law for the judge. and a picture of the front plate "attached" to the car.
jam0o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jam0o0 For This Useful Post:
melia (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
hostkiller

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just got a speeding ticket in Irving (I know I know but I was late for work...) with no front license plate. The officer didn't say a word about not having one. YMMV.
hostkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Garage
I got pulled over for no front plate by local DPS. I did the whole good stop routine. (turn off car, roll down windows, keep hands in sight, etc..) He thanked me for being respectful, gave me a warning, and told me I to get it fixed.

A couple weeks later I was at the gas station, and he pulled up to fill the cruiser right in front of me. He had full view that I still didn't have a plate. I smiled and waved, and he did the same. I think he just wanted to look at the car.
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
Yellow13

Drives: 2013 6MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Look man, Ill put it to you straight.

I drove around without a front plate for a LONG time in texas and most of the time the cops do not give a crap. They will pull you over, smack you on the hand and tell you to put it on. From my TSX to my FR-S I didnt give a crap. Then, one day, I got pulled over by a trooper for not having it on and I had some not so reputable things in my car ... one thing lead to another and I am now on probation. SOOO, moral of the story is, just put it on the car. I know you may not be like me, but you never know when something so small will turn into a larger problem

It just has to be DISPLAYED in the front of the car, it does not have to be on the bumper. I place mine in my front window in the passenger side corner. Just go to walmart and use two suction cups to hold it on. Simple, out of the way, and keeps you out of trouble.

Just trying to save you from any issues! Just my 2c :]
Yellow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow13 For This Useful Post:
melia (08-26-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #14
(fr-s)

Drives: 2013 fr-s 6sp
My dealership told me law had changed and it is no longer required. I don't buy that but I don't run one anyways. Never have.

I've been pulled over twice for no front plate. Once I got a warning the next time I received a TEN dollar ticket. Yes,$10.

It's really just a "shake down" violation. Expect to get pulled over for this after midnight or odd hours when a cop would be more likely to come upon "not so reputable items" as the guy above me put so eloquently. If you're not drug dealer though, you should be ok.

This car, like most others, looks way better without the front plate. Most states don't require it anymore
(fr-s) is offline   Reply With Quote