follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
my brz vs my evo x

BRZ:
bone stock

Evo:
to many mods to list (or to rephrase care to take the time listing)

but my evo has 391hp/392tq and has a crap ton of suspension/chassis mods. it is set up for autox/time attack, and includes a stage 4 clutch/lightweight flywheel.

for DD the BRZ is like a gift from god, the evo with the stage 4 was such a PITA to drive every day.

handling: the BRZ goes where i tell it, when i tell it....until i turn off traction control then it is just hella fun but not being used to rear wheel drive it is closing in on uncontrollable. Can't imagine trying to autox this thing, although i am sure it is a LOT of fun to do so.
The evo does not break loose no matter what. i take turns doing 100mph and it just rolls right through them with a nice throttle out.

power: the evo i can have at the speed limit by mid 2nd gear at the latest, where the brz seems it needs almost 4th to get to the speed limit. there is some through you back in your seat moments with it, but if i go WOT in the evo and put a $100 bill on the dash, you would still leave the car broke lol.

looks: the BRZ seems to be more "VIP" status and really looks sleek and sexy where the evo just looks mean and raw. I get a lot more girls (even though i am married so could care less) looking at the BRZ than i do the evo. The evo i get so much sausage giving me thumbs up and people trying to race me in there civics, all the way to their corvettes and such.

Comfortably: with the exception of the sore drivers knee, the BRZ is a lot more comfortable for DD. The evo has more room, but the seat bolsters are a lot tighter, and as stated before the stage 4 clutch is brutal (not the cars fault, but wanted to add this in)

paint: i clear bra'd both entire front ends, but the BRZ seems to have much more to the paint. In the sunlight it shimmers and sparkles, where the evo just looks really clean (until i pull it out of the driveway and it has soot all over it lol.

interior room: hands down goes to the evo now that i put the back seats back in to stay in the same autox class i was in last year. only downside is that it is so loud the wife won't drive with me in it anyways. my 3.5 year old son on the other hand makes VVVROOOOMMMM!!!! sounds in it all the way home so i guess he loves it. having 4 doors is a huge plus when you have more than 2 people in a car.

overall: my goals/builds for these cars are polar opposites so hard to compare when it really comes down to it, but i am in love with my BRZ and the evo has to feel left out. I have driven it 2 times since i got my new baby. Nothing like the sound of a spooling turbo and flames coming out the back of a car when you are stomping on some domestic "muscle" car though!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EvoXDD For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (07-22-2012), calis5nest (11-28-2012), DanoFA20 (11-22-2012), Evilbrz151 (02-05-2013), karbon (08-10-2012), WingsofWar (07-24-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
alex86

Drives: Argento
good review but imo stock vs. stock comparison is fair.
alex86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
EvoXDD

Garage
if my evo was anywhere under the 20k over stock mod price i would have compared that lol. but stock for stock i think the evo was better bang for the buck if you track and the BRZ looks sexier out the box.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
jurjurson
Banned

Drives: 2013 c63 & 2012 370z Sport/Navi
That's why the evo is getting discontinued!
jurjurson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
EvoXDD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurjurson View Post
Not sure what this means, maybe you misunderstood, I have put about 20k into the Evo to make it the beast it is today. It didn't take that much to make it perform, it is just an addiction and I kept modding and buying tires and it added up
The Following User Says Thank You to EvoXDD For This Useful Post:
KamalT (11-27-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Max Schnell

Drives: Lexus GS350 F-sport
Quote:
Evo is being discontinued because the parent company cannot make another car that sells well enough to justify the development costs. Mitsubishi has no car for the masses that is really competitive in the market.
Max Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
EvoXDD

Garage
Btw even though we are off topic, the CEO of Mitsubishi came out and said that the Evo will continue, so we will see it for a while still
Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm in a similar circumstance, and it's good to hear your point of view with your evo. I have a sentra with over 500whp and though my knee never hurts I still feel your pain lol. Suspension is stiff, motor mounts very solid. State I/M is tricky, but I keep mine legal... barely.

The BRZ is an awesome car, and people need to learn to appreciate going slow sometimes. I have found that having a slow car can be a lot more fun because things aren't breaking/overheating/slowly killing you etc.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I had an Evo VIII. I can truly say I love both cars.

The interesting thing about the Evo which was exemplified well but Mr. Jeremy Clarkson is that it can make anyone look good on a race track. What I love most about the FR-S/BRZ is that with the right skillset it can put cars w/ twice the power to shame on a race track.

When I had my Evo I was truly able to say I've never owned anything that handled as well or made me feel so connected to the road. Now that I have an FR-S I'm saying the same about it over the Evo. I've never felt so much a part of the car as I do in my new baby.

Stock v stock of course. I'm sure your Evo is pretty sweet. I love the X.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
mrha

Drives: Lightning Red Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I used to own an EVO X GSR before my BRZ. I totally understand what you mean by getting so much attention from sausage. Even though the EVO has so much raw power it wasn't practical for a daily driver.
mrha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
EvoXDD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrha View Post
I used to own an EVO X GSR before my BRZ. I totally understand what you mean by getting so much attention from sausage. Even though the EVO has so much raw power it wasn't practical for a daily driver.
With a kid I find it MORE practical as a DD, it is the parts I put in it that kills that practicality. I have decided to race the BRZ a little instead of just show it, it handles to damn well to not let it see a track.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
Gamiam

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Yeah I have a Evo X DD with 420whp but I'm about to switch to my FRS since it's far more comfortable and fun to drive as a DD. The FRS steering is far more twitchy (which I like) than the Evo Stock vs. Stock. I just did my suspension 7 months ago on the Evo so I remember how electronic it felt driving. Just the response of the FRS straight out the box is amazing. Yeah the FRS won't get you to 120 just getting on a highway but it did show me something I miss from driving. A car that gave me crisp gear shift (not notchy) and made it so that you had to whine the NA motor to actually get it to speed is an aspect I missed. Plus the FRS gets decent gas mileage compared to 150miles to a tank which is a win.
Gamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schnell View Post
Evo is being discontinued because the parent company cannot make another car that sells well enough to justify the development costs. Mitsubishi has no car for the masses that is really competitive in the market.
The evo is certainly not being discontinued.
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:52 AM   #14
worfworf

Drives: Honda Odyssey, Evo X
I have a X - would love to buy a brz and upgrade the evo to 400hp.

I love the evos handling - loved my s2k more though.

How do they compare? That is evo feel vs brz feel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
worfworf is offline   Reply With Quote