follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #15
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Can-alignment? Sounds like Scott
Yup - he's the one that did it

Do you think he would be someone to talk with regarding damper settings? I have set of 3-way dampers I'll be installing before track season. I've never set anything like that up before.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #16
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Empty, as I’ve been doing them for 15 years.

I understand the argument for simulating the weight, the brand I work under does not specify any weights, so we don’t have any.

Haven’t figured out how to do the alignment from the drivers seat, I have a feeling I’ll be out of a job once those days roll around.
just put some weights on the seat or the floorboard equivalent to the driver's weight...

For someone who has been doing this for 15 years how have you not considered that solution?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #17
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
The brand I work under specifies no weight in the car. Adding weight is something some manufacturers specify, some specify the opposite.

This car won't see the track, maybe some autox, but it's mostly my poor weather/weekend car. If I were setting it up for the track I would weight the car accordingly, that is not it's intended purpose.

If no weight is good enough for an SLS and AMG GT it's good enough for me.
Attached Images

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #18
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
maslin: that suggestion sounds weird. Even though not by much, but camber (and to lesser extent toe) still changes with one in car or not. And if one wants everything be ideal, why not go for that? It's not that hard to sit for a while in a car. Still same amount of work for alignment rig techie.
About only case why such suggestion should be followed through imho, if one wants some generic alignment that will work for both with driver only and +passenger (even if it's HPDE instructor or friend one drives trackday together ), both for track & DD. Otherwise if i'd wish to get no compromises ideal alignment for track, i'd sit in car. I guess that instruction of prealignment requirement might be exactly for such - for generic alignment covering most possible uses/loadouts and mostly for DD car. SLS/AMG still mostly will get used as gt cruiser, not track toy.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #19
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
maslin: that suggestion sounds weird. Even though not by much, but camber (and to lesser extent toe) still changes with one in car or not. And if one wants everything be ideal, why not go for that? It's not that hard to sit for a while in a car. Still same amount of work for alignment rig techie.
About only case why such suggestion should be followed through imho, if one wants some generic alignment that will work for both with driver only and +passenger (even if it's HPDE instructor or friend one drives trackday together ), both for track & DD. Otherwise if i'd wish to get no compromises ideal alignment for track, i'd sit in car. I guess that instruction of prealignment requirement might be exactly for such - for generic alignment covering most possible uses/loadouts and mostly for DD car. SLS/AMG still mostly will get used as gt cruiser, not track toy.
Exactly, those chassis numbers at the top cover everything from an A class, to a G wagon, to an SLS, to a GLE Coupe. Mercedes alignments are performed without a load in the car. That is the specified procedure.

I've been told Porsche specifies a whole load of weight, front, rear, sides, etc. Same with BMW? Benz says no weight.

If it were a track car this would be an entirely different conversation, and I wouldn't be running only -1*22' of rear camber.

And I'm my own alignment tech, no one likes to stay after work to help people out anymore. The automotive world has changed in the past 5 years or so. Looking around, I'd be hard pressed to find 150lbs of anything clean enough to stack on the seat. I do have a 100 pound plastic ass for calibrating airbag sensors

Last edited by maslin; 02-13-2019 at 01:56 PM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #20
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Yup - he's the one that did it

Do you think he would be someone to talk with regarding damper settings? I have set of 3-way dampers I'll be installing before track season. I've never set anything like that up before.

Yeah, he's a good person to talk to about that. He's got a lot of experience with car setup in general.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Turbo (02-14-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #21
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
@Turbo - if he's too busy to make the timing work, I know a couple other people I can put you in touch with that could be helpful too. Shoot me a PM if you like.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #22
Kcc-Breeze

Drives: 2019 BRZ RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
so will these SPC LCA have a slot for the headlight adjuster sensor thingy on the Left Rear LCA?
Kcc-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #23
Evan55

Drives: 06 Exige, 17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcc-Breeze View Post
so will these SPC LCA have a slot for the headlight adjuster sensor thingy on the Left Rear LCA?
yes
Evan55 is offline   Reply With Quote