follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #757
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Snake View Post
To clarify "mostly parts bin Subaru stuff" I was referring to the drivetrain, suspension, certain electronically bits etc. I don't doubt the amount of Toyota "normal" content within the twins. Either way you look at it the Subaru innards could have been replaced by (insert Detroit manufacturer here) and we would be a lot worse off as far as recalls are concerned.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Did you read the list I linked? Even much of the drivetrain is Toyota sourced.
As far as the "Detroit" manufacturer thing goes I have worked for them for the last 30 years. In about the last 20 years the methods are just as good as anyplace else. We either had to up our game or lose to Japan.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #758
Cesium Rainbow

Drives: '13 dgm brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
You wouldn't pay 8 hours. If I remember, the TSB for the throw out bearing allocates under 3 for doing it according to the job codes used.

8 hours was also my dealer quote for the tob. I said screw that, took what wouldve been that massive bill and got a fully hydraulic tob kit from Moneyshift instead. I'd say that I feel like that was the smart move but I'll refrain from jinxing it til its all buckled up and running.
Cesium Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #759
Cesium Rainbow

Xpost from http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...96#post3174196

I found this at https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...g-recall.shtml
Quote:
November 8, 2018 — Subaru broken valve springs have caused a recall of more than 165,500 vehicles in the U.S. following complaints about engine noise and stalled engines.
According to Subaru, dealers will need to replace the valve springs in these vehicles.
  • 2012-2014 Subaru Impreza
  • 2012-2013 Subaru Impreza Wagon
  • 2013 Subaru BRZ
  • 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
  • 2013 Toyota Scion FR-S
Subaru says the valve spring problems go back to 2012 when the automaker received a complaint from Japan about rough idling and strange noises. Engineers investigated and assumed the valve spring broke and fell off, causing the valve to make contact with the piston.
Subaru checked the surface of the broken valve spring but couldn't find any flaws in the material.
In May 2013, Subaru raised the tolerance levels of the valve spring wires and continued to collect failed parts as 11 technical reports were received about stalled engines.
As failed engines were collected, engineers found minor impurities in the valve spring material due to the normal manufacturing process. However, the automaker found changes made to the valve spring tolerance levels in 2013 compensated for the impurity of the material.
As more complaints came in about engine failures from busted valve springs, Subaru conducted an investigation with the spring supplier and determined improper design of the valve trains was primarily causing the busted valve springs.
Subaru doesn't know when the valve spring recall will begin, but concerned owners of the Subaru models may call the automaker at 844-373-6614.
Owners with questions about their 2013 Scion FR-S vehicles may call Toyota at 888-270-9371.
Subaru and Toyota are using recall number WTY-84.
Called the number listed and referenced WTY-84. They picked up quick and promptly looked up the recall. Ran my VIN and confirmed my car is included, but parts will not be available til Feb. I guess that meant Feb at the latest, or maybe just to Colorado, since some of yalls dealers have already received their allotment.
I then asked if the dealer is required to perform a recall no matter what equipment is on the car because I can't see my dealer (which is the only trustworthy service dept I've ever found) touching my supercharged engine with a 10-foot stick, law be damned. That was the only question she had exactly zero answers for.

So...I guess it's time for valvetrain upgrades?

Face =

Wallet =

Last edited by Cesium Rainbow; 01-17-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Broken quote box
Old 01-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #760
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't feel screwed. Especially because my boosted 13' is a blast to drive and will get it's spark plugs and oil change done for free labor. And I hopefully will get a newish rental to tool around in.

Are you removing FI yourself and returning the car to stock before taking it to the dealer or has the dealer agreed to do it for you?
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
S. Snake (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #761
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,890 Times in 16,452 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium Rainbow View Post
Can confirm that nobody taught me a damn thing about how to use my ears in diagnosing a single automotive issue. Like I'd take an indepth course just on using sound as a diagnostic helper if that was a thing.
Too bad -

Yep, back in the day, you could pull your ailing machine into any garage, the mechanic would look up, cock his ear and say it sounds like a bad X or Y or Z and 95% of the time he would be right.

Maybe us old timers will start a thread, giving hints from yesteryear, on how to "listen" to an engine and drivetrain -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #762
Cesium Rainbow

@humfrz Well your name checks out lol.

Anyway I'm in on the ol timers listening tip thread! Also yall are going to need some youngsters around to explain the sounds to you when ya cant actually hear them anymore.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #763
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Can confirm that nobody taught me a damn thing about how to use my ears in diagnosing a single automotive issue. Like I'd take an indepth course just on using sound as a diagnostic helper if that was a thing.

I think you'd be surprised how much you have probably picked up along the way if you've been around cars. I'm sure you can recognize that something that doesn't sound right might come from the engine, drivetrain or suspension; or at least narrow it down.

A sound that corresponds to engine revs vs. wheel revs can give some clues. A hissing sound could be a nail in the tire, a pressure or vacuum leak of some kind. That kind of stuff. A 'click' when you try starting the car but non engine crank used to be a stuck solenoid which required a tap of a hammer (which is what I used to do in college sometimes) etc.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #764
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They won't bitch about it but they may charge you for any additional work it creates. The answer to the many people that asked "what about my modified car" was buried in this thread all along.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...p/j02tofaq.pdf
Quote:
Xpost from http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...96#post3174196

I found this at https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...g-recall.shtml

Called the number listed and referenced WTY-84. They picked up quick and promptly looked up the recall. Ran my VIN and confirmed my car is included, but parts will not be available til Feb. I guess that meant Feb at the latest, or maybe just to Colorado, since some of yalls dealers have already received their allotment.
I then asked if the dealer is required to perform a recall no matter what equipment is on the car because I can't see my dealer (which is the only trustworthy service dept I've ever found) touching my supercharged engine with a 10-foot stick, law be damned. That was the only question she had exactly zero answers for.

So...I guess it's time for valvetrain upgrades?

Face =

Wallet =
This has been answered several times. See question 7
Old 01-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #765
S. Snake

Drives: 13' Asphalt
Quote:
Did you read the list I linked? Even much of the drivetrain is Toyota sourced.
As far as the "Detroit" manufacturer thing goes I have worked for them for the last 30 years. In about the last 20 years the methods are just as good as anyplace else. We either had to up our game or lose to Japan.
I browsed the link you posted, and meant no offense by the Detroit thing. That's great Detroit's methods have improved. I was not trying to initiate a debate on who makes what parts on the twins or who owns 14% of what or how long it was delayed etc.

I'm merely saying yes there is an issue with valve springs and yes it sucks to take your car to the dealer for a recall, but being joint manufactured by both Subaru and Toyota I feel is what makes the twins awesome.

Now that we have that out of the way to answer the question on whether I am going to remove my supercharger or not before taking my car in. Currently I am undecided on what to do at the moment because my local dealer ship has not called me back with an idea of how much it would cost for them to remove it or not. There is also the matter of trusting them to put it all back together right including filling the rotrex traction fluid correctly. Personally my car runs awesome with the blower and of my state wasn't basically forcing me to have this recall done I wouldn't.

TLDR; something something Detroit, Subaru Toyota, 86 history, Twins are awesome, Dunno if I'm gonna have the recall done.

Tcoat (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #766
Tcoat

Quote:
I browsed the link you posted, and meant no offense by the Detroit thing. That's great Detroit's methods have improved. I was not trying to initiate a debate on who makes what parts on the twins or who owns 14% of what or how long it was delayed etc.

I'm merely saying yes there is an issue with valve springs and yes it sucks to take your car to the dealer for a recall, but being joint manufactured by both Subaru and Toyota I feel is what makes the twins awesome.

Now that we have that out of the way to answer the question on whether I am going to remove my supercharger or not before taking my car in. Currently I am undecided on what to do at the moment because my local dealer ship has not called me back with an idea of how much it would cost for them to remove it or not. There is also the matter of trusting them to put it all back together right including filling the rotrex traction fluid correctly. Personally my car runs awesome with the blower and of my state wasn't basically forcing me to have this recall done I wouldn't.

TLDR; something something Detroit, Subaru Toyota, 86 history, Twins are awesome, Dunno if I'm gonna have the recall done.

Oh I wasn't offended since what you said was very true not all that long ago. Just wanted to clarify the point. The place that made the springs could very well make them for just about everybody else anyway. The days of individual suppliers for each car company pretty much died in 2008. It was just a bad batch and Subaru is either the first or the only company willing to recall for it.

It totally sucks that the Ca crowd is forced to do this recall due to "emission" reasons. If I were in your shoes I would pull it myself. The techs have very clear instructions that would let a 10 year old do the job of spring replacement but dealing with aftermarket FI may be a whole different ball game. Even if they did have the best FI guy in California on staff they would just charge you dealer service rates to do the extra work and that would not be cheap I am sure.
S. Snake (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #767
Cesium Rainbow

Quote:
This has been answered several times. See question 7

I know. I was talking about my personal service shop. As a whole the crew there is completely irrational about anything aftermarket. They tell me it's just policy but I gotta think it's the liability of breaking my shit that they don't want to deal with.
My conclusion was to forego the recall network and use this opportunity to upgrade springs. If somebody had already made that remark, I apologize for parroting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cesium Rainbow For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:20 PM   #768
Tcoat

Quote:
I know. I was talking about my personal service shop. As a whole the crew there is completely irrational about anything aftermarket. They tell me it's just policy but I gotta think it's the liability of breaking my shit that they don't want to deal with.
My conclusion was to forego the recall network and use this opportunity to upgrade springs. If somebody had already made that remark, I apologize for parroting.
'Twas just confusing the way you said it. All is good. No doubt you would have to sign a waver that they were not responsible for your shit so I doubt liability is much of an issue. Probably simply don't want to get into that stuff. Even if they did they would charge you extra.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #769
Cesium Rainbow

Quote:
Even if they did have the best FI guy in California on staff they would just charge you dealer service rates to do the extra work and that would not be cheap I am sure.

This. Best possible scenario is paying for a second turbo install at dealer rates. Sucks ass, I'm in the same boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cesium Rainbow For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #770
Tcoat

Quote:
This. Best possible scenario is paying for a second turbo install at dealer rates. Sucks ass, I'm in the same boat.
Well maybe not the same boat unless Colorado also will not let you renew the registration without a certificate the work was done but a similar boat.