follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Subaru BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2018, 03:05 AM   #1
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ through Portrait Mode on iPhone XS Max

Got a new phone for the first time in 2.5 years and I wanted to take some pics of the BRZ on a drive. For whatever reason, when I try to export it from Photos the dynamic range drops. Like the moment I tap the export icon I see it change. Anybody know why? Is this a known issue with the iOS photo app?

It’s a shame because the photo looks soooo tasty in app but once I try to export I don’t have the same range of values on the same phone. Otherwise I think at first blink the bokeh effect can be pretty convincing. The edges are where things give themselves away. If nothing else, I love having a phone with an optical zoom. It’s a great way to get around the fisheye from your average phone camera. Either way here’s the pic, I hope it’s at least appreciable.

bcj (09-24-2018), Conman (06-24-2019), GalloVecchio (11-08-2018), Ganthrithor (09-30-2018), Rakshaa (09-27-2018), spike021 (09-24-2018), Stang70Fastback (09-24-2018), Timmy_Jones (10-23-2018), Tristor (10-02-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E_L View Post
If nothing else, I love having a phone with an optical zoom. It’s a great way to get around the fisheye from your average phone camera.
This. People who don't know any better always say things like, "What a gimmick. Two cameras is so stupid." Nope! I love the second, 2x zoom camera on my S9+ for the same reason: it allows me to get good, much more natural-looking up-close photos without that weird distortion you normally get from the main, wide-angle lens.

For example, here are two similar-ish photos. The former was taken with my S7 Edge, and the distortion is clearly present, making the left rear of the car bulge out. By comparison, the latter photo is taken with the secondary 2x optical zoom camera on my S9+, and looks WAY better.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 01-22-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-24-2018), Ganthrithor (09-30-2018), R_E_L (09-24-2018), Tristor (10-02-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Got a new phone for the first time in 2.5 years and I wanted to take some pics of the BRZ on a drive. For whatever reason, when I try to export it from Photos the dynamic range drops. Like the moment I tap the export icon I see it change. Anybody know why? Is this a known issue with the iOS photo app?

It’s a shame because the photo looks soooo tasty in app but once I try to export I don’t have the same range of values on the same phone. Otherwise I think at first blink the bokeh effect can be pretty convincing. The edges are where things give themselves away. If nothing else, I love having a phone with an optical zoom. It’s a great way to get around the fisheye from your average phone camera. Either way here’s the pic, I hope it’s at least appreciable.
Nice shot! Interesting how you were able to get Portrait Mode to work, complete with the out of focus background.

I've tried capturing the same kind of shot on my 8+ with Portrait Mode but it wants the subject (car) to be closer, which would bring parts of it outside the frame. Maybe I should try again with iOS 12.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
R_E_L (09-25-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I wish more people understood the difference in lens technology and software intervention. Stang's photo shows this ultimately ( and is the same reason I upgraded my S7 to an S9+!) I got so sick of these warped photos the phone with the single lens was taking. It's tough to keep perspective and be consistent when the lens and software are working against you. I want to capture what I see, not what it thinks I wanted to see.
@R_E_L Is the photo being taken in RAW? Any level of compression from this seems like it may diminish the dynamic range, which would explain why you're watching it change in front of your eyes.

EDIT:: I wanted to add, my beginning sentence is not a stab at anyone, it is me enjoying the company of those in this thread and wishing this ignorance of the world would lessen. I didn't mean to sound grouchy!

Last edited by DarkPira7e; 10-02-2018 at 03:57 PM.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@DarkPira7e
I shot it through the stock application, so whatever format apple uses for that. The compression is happening when I try to export from Photos (the iOS gallery).
Old 10-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #6
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrickFol View Post
Not only is that photo 'appreciable,' I think it looks fantastic. I'm still sporting an old iPhone 6. I'm not even sure why at this point haha. I should really get a new one.
I had an iPhone 6s up until recently. Upgraded and it's definitely worth it, especially if you love taking pictures of your car haha
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Either way here’s the pic, I hope it’s at least appreciable.
I think its a fantastic photo, classic look. One of those to look back on, even when the car is long gone.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmy_Jones For This Useful Post:
R_E_L (10-25-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I love that last shot in the water!!

Pretty great shots for an iPhone!
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #9
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
This. People who don't know any better always say things like, "What a gimmick. Two cameras is so stupid." Nope! I love the second, 2x zoom camera on my S9+ for the same reason: it allows me to get good, much more natural-looking up-close photos without that weird distortion you normally get from the main, wide-angle lens.

For example, here are two similar-ish photos. The former was taken with my S7 Edge, and the distortion is clearly present, making the left rear of the car bulge out. By comparison, the latter photo is taken with the secondary 2x optical zoom camera on my S9+, and looks WAY better.

But I like the first photo better.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #10
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Cool photos. Amazing how far phones have come.

I think most people complaints is they just want a phone that can take a selfie and play pong. But they don't understand flagship phones are not the ones they should be looking at.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Phone cameras have come a long way!

Looks amazing.
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eastendraceshop For This Useful Post:
R_E_L (01-09-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #12
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Garage
@ Stang7Fastback...

I have your BRZ as my desktop; I hope you don't mind.

I have it there to remind me what's possible with a WR Blue BRZ; a clean BRZ looks really sharp, and I like your plate.

Cheers.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Go Frogs For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
@ Stang7Fastback...

I have your BRZ as my desktop; I hope you don't mind.

I have it there to remind me what's possible with a WR Blue BRZ; a clean BRZ looks really sharp, and I like your plate.

Cheers.
Which photo? Looks like the original one I posted wasn't working. I just fixed the link. It's way better than the one that was still working, lol.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 PM   #14
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Which photo? Looks like the original one I posted wasn't working. I just fixed the link. It's way better than the one that was still working, lol.
the one with the car in the storage locker park facing away from the camera.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote