follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2018, 11:14 AM   #15
paintdude258

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have been told by my local 86 group and my STI friends to always go with Motul Gear 300. I want no part in a subjective debate, but just curious if I am missing something? Is Motul too expensive? Not good for our cars? I am about to change my fluids again after doing Motul in both Tranny and Diff about 30k miles ago and am open to suggestions if there is a different consensus on what is best for our cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Yeah I was debating between redline and amsoil, but the BITOG forum folks seem to favor amsoil products.
paintdude258 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintdude258 For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #16
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec C Wannabe View Post
Hi Spuds,

Thanks for your very good review. I have issues with shifting quality of my 2017 BRZ. From searching the site, just like many owners experienced --crunchy and hard to shift into gears when cold. It even crunches when hot sometimes at low rpm crawling around town. I have these issues in every gear from first to sixth. The problems pretty much alleviates if I flock the car very hard and get it to high temp. When hot, shifting at high rpm (5,000 rpm and over) and my transmission shifts quite smoothly although it will not inspire a quick shifting action but the crunch is pretty much gone.

Did your transmission have these same problems before changing to the Amsoil?

If so, I really would like to give Amsoil a try on my car. I really hate crunchy transmission on my car. It just takes the joy out of driving. Wish I had a smooth transmission.

Thanks in advance for your reply
Short answer, yes.

Long answer:
On reflection I do think my transmission could be described as crunchy entering every gear, particularly when cold. At the time, I just considered it normal, but I could see how someone could find it annoying. In my experience, amsoil fixed that. It's now smooth with an occasional crunchy shift when "cold", but that's just the nature of the transmission. I use quotes because I haven't driven it in under 70 F temperatures yet. Any winter driving may have a different set of issues.

Just to be clear, your transmission is not making grinding sounds right? I'm defining crunchy as it feels like you are crushing a bag of potato chips when entering a gear.

Your results may be a bit different of course, but it sounds like the amsoil MT oil will at least be a step in the right direction.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019), Spec C Wannabe (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:54 AM   #17
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdude258 View Post
I have been told by my local 86 group and my STI friends to always go with Motul Gear 300. I want no part in a subjective debate, but just curious if I am missing something? Is Motul too expensive? Not good for our cars? I am about to change my fluids again after doing Motul in both Tranny and Diff about 30k miles ago and am open to suggestions if there is a different consensus on what is best for our cars.
I was considering both motul and amsoil but it looks like overall preference on BITOG was amsoil. If you want to experiment, I say go for it. My motivation was just to see what would happen, and am happy with the results of the transmission oil change. Still need to try some of the friction modifier in the diff. IMO, the diff needs some friction modifier in the oil, and the amsoil doesn't come pre mixed.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:42 PM   #18
Spec C Wannabe

Drives: 2017 WRB M/T BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Short answer, yes.

Long answer:
On reflection I do think my transmission could be described as crunchy entering every gear, particularly when cold. At the time, I just considered it normal, but I could see how someone could find it annoying. In my experience, amsoil fixed that. It's now smooth with an occasional crunchy shift when "cold", but that's just the nature of the transmission. I use quotes because I haven't driven it in under 70 F temperatures yet. Any winter driving may have a different set of issues.

Just to be clear, your transmission is not making grinding sounds right? I'm defining crunchy as it feels like you are crushing a bag of potato chips when entering a gear.

Your results may be a bit different of course, but it sounds like the amsoil MT oil will at least be a step in the right direction.
Hi Spuds,

Thanks for your detailed answer. Appreciated it.

To answer your question, No I don't have any "grindings" in my transmission. It just feels crunchy going into gears. What I can describe is that I can feel I am moving a gear lever through something that is moving inside. Feels like dragging my stick through the gravels or something. It is not very obvious but it is kind of annoying. Moving the gear lever through the gate is quite sticky and heavy when the transmission is cold. It just make driving the car tiring and worrisome.

When cold (my cold means when I first drive the car after let it sit overnight as I live in hot climate morning temp is around 85 degree F) the problem will be worse as sometimes I can feel and even "hear" the crunch for the first few shifts but it will get better and better the longer I drive it. It gets best when I drive it really really hard like when I was running in the race track and that was when my transmission felt SWEET!!

How many miles did you have before changing the trans oil? Mine is currently at around 8,000 mile and still on factory fill.
Spec C Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spec C Wannabe For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2018, 12:15 AM   #19
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec C Wannabe View Post
Hi Spuds,

Thanks for your detailed answer. Appreciated it.

To answer your question, No I don't have any "grindings" in my transmission. It just feels crunchy going into gears. What I can describe is that I can feel I am moving a gear lever through something that is moving inside. Feels like dragging my stick through the gravels or something. It is not very obvious but it is kind of annoying. Moving the gear lever through the gate is quite sticky and heavy when the transmission is cold. It just make driving the car tiring and worrisome.

When cold (my cold means when I first drive the car after let it sit overnight as I live in hot climate morning temp is around 85 degree F) the problem will be worse as sometimes I can feel and even "hear" the crunch for the first few shifts but it will get better and better the longer I drive it. It gets best when I drive it really really hard like when I was running in the race track and that was when my transmission felt SWEET!!

How many miles did you have before changing the trans oil? Mine is currently at around 8,000 mile and still on factory fill.
Dragging a stick through gravel is actually a really good description.

About 35,000 miles on factory fill before I changed it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #20
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
The Motul is popular but the general consensus isn't always the best way to go. If you look enough there are quite a few complaints about Motul in these cars. No doubt it's good, but I believe most people in this thread are kind of experimenting to find what's best. Also, Amsoil is available locally for most people. That said, I would be interested to hear from anyone that has tried both Amsoil and Motul back to back.
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoolHandMoss For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #21
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Gear 300 is GL5 rated, which while acceptable in the 86's differential, it is not acceptable for the transmission. Other FWD Subaru's do require GL5 in their transaxles due to the incorporation of a differential (hypoid gears) into the unit, but our transmission does not have this.

That's not to say Gear 300 will immediately make your transmission explode. You could probably use olive oil for a while and get away with it. However, the additives which make the oil GL5 rated also have a detrimental long term effect on the yellow metals used in any transmission designed around GL3/4 oils, which includes ours.
gravitylover (06-01-2018), JesseG (11-01-2019), Spuds (06-01-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #22
paintdude258

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Oh Hot Damn!! This just blew my mind with facts.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Gear 300 is GL5 rated, which while acceptable in the 86's differential, it is not acceptable for the transmission. Other FWD Subaru's do require GL5 in their transaxles due to the incorporation of a differential (hypoid gears) into the unit, but our transmission does not have this.

That's not to say Gear 300 will immediately make your transmission explode. You could probably use olive oil for a while and get away with it. However, the additives which make the oil GL5 rated also have a detrimental long term effect on the yellow metals used in any transmission designed around GL3/4 oils, which includes ours.
paintdude258 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintdude258 For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 06-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #23
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Here's a nice read on the topic:

http://www.rtsauto.com/wp-content/up...nsaxle_oil.pdf
Old 06-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #24
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
After putting about 1k miles on the car with amsoil in the transmission I will say that the second gear shift loves it. Second gear is almost always smooth at anything but the coolest temperatures. On the other hand, strangely, 5th gear seems to not like it as much. I have to shift to 5th more slowly now or it will grind when it never would before. Though, this could be a result of the transmission mount stiffening insert I installed at the same time. I'm sure the improvement in second gear is due to the amsoil though. In conclusion, I recommend it. I'll probably stick with it long term.
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CoolHandMoss For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019), Spuds (06-06-2018), venturaII (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #25
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
After putting about 1k miles on the car with amsoil in the transmission I will say that the second gear shift loves it. Second gear is almost always smooth at anything but the coolest temperatures. On the other hand, strangely, 5th gear seems to not like it as much. I have to shift to 5th more slowly now or it will grind when it never would before. Though, this could be a result of the transmission mount stiffening insert I installed at the same time. I'm sure the improvement in second gear is due to the amsoil though. In conclusion, I recommend it. I'll probably stick with it long term.
I'll pay attention to the higher gear shifts and report back.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #26
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Anecdotal chime in - my experience with Amsoil mirrors the OP. The gearbox shifts easier and smoother with their oil in it.
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joesurf79 For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019), Spuds (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #27
Spuds
The Dictater

Drove it today, and 5th feels the same as other gears to me. I know that I had to get used to the shifter bushing when that went in and had to be more precise with the shifter. Agree with above assessment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
venturaII (06-08-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #28
Spec C Wannabe

Drives: 2017 WRB M/T BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
Some Amsoil MTG users experienced the same thing.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71030
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118607

At what speed did you have the 5th gear grind?
Spec C Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spec C Wannabe For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-10-2018)