follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2014, 03:51 AM   #1
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What exhaust should i get??

I remembered my mom rented a is250 out when her own IS was being worked on. It was lightly modded by dealer. Lowered, rims and exhaust. The only thing that got my attention was the exhaust. I don't remember what brand it was but it was obviously bigger than the stock tips. The is250 was an auto and it had almost no drone. At 3000 rpm it was really loud. Idling at 2.5 you can braely hear anything inside. But thats just how luxury cars are built. Can't even hear the Armageddon inside the car.

So i haven't really seen any of these in visual action yet, just online stuff. n1, evo 3, j2, TOP SPEED PRO-1. My budget is around ~400-450. Any additional recommendations are awesome too.
Vincenttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #2
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
$400-$450 is a pretty low budget from what I've seen. I just put on my Greddy SP Elite a few days ago. I was able to find it for $500 shipped which is a really decent deal. I think it's one of the cheapest options you can go, and the sound is fuller than stock, but not loud like the other options out there. Personally I'm a little too old for a loud exhaust. Maybe if I were in my early 20's, but I have neighbors and a gf to worry about..lol. Not to mention, I feel rather stupid having a loud car that is slow. :p

Anyways, if you get a chance check out a Greddy SP Elite. It may be your only option with your kind of budget. Also, check the member classified section. People sell their exhausts for pretty cheap in there.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
$400-$450 is a pretty low budget from what I've seen. I just put on my Greddy SP Elite a few days ago. I was able to find it for $500 shipped which is a really decent deal. I think it's one of the cheapest options you can go, and the sound is fuller than stock, but not loud like the other options out there. Personally I'm a little too old for a loud exhaust. Maybe if I were in my early 20's, but I have neighbors and a gf to worry about..lol. Not to mention, I feel rather stupid having a loud car that is slow. :p

Anyways, if you get a chance check out a Greddy SP Elite. It may be your only option with your kind of budget. Also, check the member classified section. People sell their exhausts for pretty cheap in there.
Yea, i've checked it out a bit. The lower rpms sound pretty nice, but the higher rpms doesn't sound like anything =/ Im researching on the j2 atm. I think if it wasn't under greddy the sp elite would probably be around the high 300 low 400s high.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:32 AM   #4
B L U E S L A T E

Drives: BMW E84
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Berk track pipe.
B L U E S L A T E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:04 AM   #5
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
They say that the sound opens up after 800-1000 miles. For me, it sounds good. I wanted something similar to the TRD Exhaust sound, but I know for a lot of people more noise is important. Just depends on what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenttam View Post
Yea, i've checked it out a bit. The lower rpms sound pretty nice, but the higher rpms doesn't sound like anything =/ Im researching on the j2 atm. I think if it wasn't under greddy the sp elite would probably be around the high 300 low 400s high.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
They say that the sound opens up after 800-1000 miles. For me, it sounds good. I wanted something similar to the TRD Exhaust sound, but I know for a lot of people more noise is important. Just depends on what you want.
Yea, i need to probably sit in someones car with a sp elite fully broken in. I like the sound of it though.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Section here to research, listen to vids, read peeps thoughts etc. Likely to get more results and maybe find answer that fits your needs.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Old 02-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
sweetfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenttam View Post
I remembered my mom rented a is250 out when her own IS was being worked on. It was lightly modded by dealer. Lowered, rims and exhaust. The only thing that got my attention was the exhaust. I don't remember what brand it was but it was obviously bigger than the stock tips. The is250 was an auto and it had almost no drone. At 3000 rpm it was really loud. Idling at 2.5 you can braely hear anything inside. But thats just how luxury cars are built. Can't even hear the Armageddon inside the car.

So i haven't really seen any of these in visual action yet, just online stuff. n1, evo 3, j2, TOP SPEED PRO-1. My budget is around ~400-450. Any additional recommendations are awesome too.
The exhaust on the is250 was an HKS i forgot what model, but its an option that you can get through the dealer. I know this because my dads friends son had it on his lol i think a good exhaust for you would be (personal opinion) Greddy SP Elite - no drone, tips fit the diffuser! , and it kind of matches your description haaha
sweetfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetfrs For This Useful Post:
Vincenttam (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
My suggestion is to hold off and save some more money before making the jump. That way you open up your choices and more importantly: You get what you pay for!
YMAA (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
YMAA
Maximum puntential

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The SP Elite looks compelling when compared to other exhaust options, but it's only because it's just an axleback - there's no midpipe included. This is important because later on down the road if you decide to replace the midpipe as well to create a catback you may be out of luck. I don't know of any midpipes sold that will bolt up to the SP Elite, so your only option would be to have one fabricated for you, and that can get expensive.

IMO you'd be better off saving up and getting an honest to goodness catback.
Vincenttam (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #11
DeLaRage

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
From what I've seen on YouTube and the reviews I've read the evo 3 is probably the best. And the way that I'll be going. Everything else seems to be too loud unless you want super obnoxiously loud. Lol. But that's probably gonna set you back like 800ish. The sp elite is only an axle back not a catback like the evo 3. The 300 more is definitely worth it for the mid pipe.
DeLaRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaRage View Post
From what I've seen on YouTube and the reviews I've read the evo 3 is probably the best. And the way that I'll be going. Everything else seems to be too loud unless you want super obnoxiously loud. Lol. But that's probably gonna set you back like 800ish. The sp elite is only an axle back not a catback like the evo 3. The 300 more is definitely worth it for the mid pipe.
The EVO 3 has alot of drone and there are atleast 2 vendors I've seen that sell 2.5" midpipes for $300. Greddy SP + 1 of those mid pipes is a much better deal.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
NorthPoleFRS

Drives: 2013 raven frs
My J2 quad exhaust will be in today. Under $400 shipped. Hesitant about price but I like the look and sound. If it doesn't work out I'll go back to stock and save for something worthwhile!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NorthPoleFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
DeLaRage

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
The EVO 3 has alot of drone and there are atleast 2 vendors I've seen that sell 2.5" midpipes for $300. Greddy SP + 1 of those mid pipes is a much better deal.
Really? Every thread that I've read about the evo 3 talks about how little drone there is.
DeLaRage is offline   Reply With Quote