follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quick question about a dealer trading another dealer for the BRZ I want

So I've flat out told this dealer I'm paying fair market value (in my area, $27.3k for a Limited manual) or walking out on this deal. They don't have the one I want on the lot, so they'll need to trade with another dealer either in Mississippi or Alabama (I'm in Louisiana). They've said if they can manage to get the one in Mississippi, it'll probably cost $300-400 for transportation here. It seems fair that I should probably pay for that, but I just wanted to check in first. Should I try to get them to split it or is paying the delivery associated with dealer trading completely normal? Keep in mind that not including that delivery cost, my price is about $1k less than MSRP.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
So I've flat out told this dealer I'm paying fair market value (in my area, $27.3k for a Limited manual) or walking out on this deal. They don't have the one I want on the lot, so they'll need to trade with another dealer either in Mississippi or Alabama (I'm in Louisiana). They've said if they can manage to get the one in Mississippi, it'll probably cost $300-400 for transportation here. It seems fair that I should probably pay for that, but I just wanted to check in first. Should I try to get them to split it or is paying the delivery associated with dealer trading completely normal? Keep in mind that not including that delivery cost, my price is about $1k less than MSRP.
If you are going to pay for shipping you might want to check with Clint at Hueberger. He can probably ship you one for about $1K cheaper.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33553
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
At $27,300 I'd be willing to pay the cost to ship the car. If they were asking msrp or higher I would demand that they covered delivery. That's the exact price I paid for my limited manual in nj.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Luna

Drives: 08 Scion xB, 13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If they're just going to get a someone to drive the car to the other dealership and swap it out, then I would not pay for shipping. If they're putting it on a truck and bringing it in then I could maybe understand that. My car came from Knoxville, TN, but that dealership had to get it from Memphis, TN. It was driven to me in NC (we were unable to go get it at the time) and I did not pay for "shipping" or a delivery fee.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
If you are going to pay for shipping you might want to check with Clint at Hueberger. He can probably ship you one for about $1K cheaper.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33553
I can't do a trade-in like that, though. I definitely thought about pursuing that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
If they're just going to get a someone to drive the car to the other dealership and swap it out, then I would not pay for shipping. If they're putting it on a truck and bringing it in then I could maybe understand that. My car came from Knoxville, TN, but that dealership had to get it from Memphis, TN. It was driven to me in NC (we were unable to go get it at the time) and I did not pay for "shipping" or a delivery fee.
Yeah, they'd be putting it on a truck. Definitely don't want someone driving it 3 hours and putting a bunch of miles on it, especially during the break-in period. Don't really trust random dealership people a whole lot.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prog For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Offer $27,500 and see what they say? I think that's a fair price for both parties.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
v1ru5

Drives: BRZ D4S 6MT L Vortech
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
I can't do a trade-in like that, though. I definitely thought about pursuing that route.

Yeah, they'd be putting it on a truck. Definitely don't want someone driving it 3 hours and putting a bunch of miles on it, especially during the break-in period. Don't really trust random dealership people a whole lot.
sell your car to carmax, then buy from any dealer
v1ru5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Be patient and have them order one from Subaru for you that way you know you're the only one test driving the car. The patience pays off for peace of mind. That's what I did and the wait was much longer back then. I took ownership with 7 miles on the ODO rather than 55 miles. Also, I can guarantee my paint was in better condition because I'm sure the car with 55 miles on it had been washed multiple times by the dealer with the same dirty rags they used on all their cars which would have left minor scratches in the paint.