follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #2283
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouShallKnow View Post
I think so too, thanks for the confirmation. What do you think about the bump steer kit with that setup? Is it still beneficial with stock ride height?
The bumpsteer kit is not very useful at stock ride height. Front control arm bushings including the ALK would be much more effective. Not sure on which costs more points for you but the bushings are the better choice.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
YouShallKnow (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #2284
YouShallKnow

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to YouShallKnow Send a message via AIM to YouShallKnow Send a message via Yahoo to YouShallKnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The bumpsteer kit is not very useful at stock ride height. Front control arm bushings including the ALK would be much more effective. Not sure on which costs more points for you but the bushings are the better choice.

- Andy
They are free! I'll go alk and skip the bump steer kit. Thanks for your guidance I really appreciate it.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #2285
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
@TekPrime -his question, saving some time here.

"Would someone mind explaining how the roll center is adjusted on our double wishbone emulated multi link rear suspension? I'm looking to understand how the geometry changes under force. Thanks for your help!"
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
TekPrime (02-10-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #2286
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
If you had to recommend a group or set of bushings to a beginner for upgrading, what would you say was the best bang for the buck to eliminate some o that elastic feeling in corners when grippier tires have been added. Is this one of those subjects where you should replace them all or you could do the rear subframe bushings then front control arms...? Thank you.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #2287
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
If you had to recommend a group or set of bushings to a beginner for upgrading, what would you say was the best bang for the buck to eliminate some o that elastic feeling in corners when grippier tires have been added. Is this one of those subjects where you should replace them all or you could do the rear subframe bushings then front control arms...? Thank you.
Front:
Front control arm (front) bushing.
Whiteline ALK
steering rack bushings

Rear:
trailing arm front
crossmember inserts
diff bushings

rear upper control arm bushings (either the camber adjustable or the fixed)

I bolded the ones I recommend most and are the better bang for the buck. The others are good too. Might as well do as many as you can stand at the same time since they're almost all kind of a pain to install.

- Andy
yomny (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #2288
YouShallKnow

Send a message via ICQ to YouShallKnow Send a message via AIM to YouShallKnow Send a message via Yahoo to YouShallKnow
So I ended up taking your advice, I removed the Swift Sports springs replacing them with BRZ front springs and FR-S rear springs for the stiffest OEM springs possible.

Then I installed (or tried to) the Whiteline ALK, but I thrashed my ball joint boots in the process so I need to replace them now.

No dealerships have them in stock, soonest they can get them is Wednesday.

So I'm considering picking up the Whiteline roll center / bump steer kit just so I can get my car on the road today.

But now that I'm at stock ride height, I know there won't be much benefit.

My question is, will using the roll center kit HURT my handling at stock ride height? Or will I just not see much of a benefit?

I'm fine having the kit installed because I sure as hell never want to take my control arms off again and I will probably go lower again in the future once I get money for proper coilovers, but I also don't want to spend time and money on a part that hurts my handling.

Thanks for all your help, this thread is massively helpful to newbies like me.

My other option is to wait 2-3 days for the dealership to get stock ball joints in.

What do you think?
YouShallKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #2289
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Front:
Front control arm (front) bushing.
Whiteline ALK
steering rack bushings

Rear:
trailing arm front
crossmember inserts
diff bushings

rear upper control arm bushings (either the camber adjustable or the fixed)

I bolded the ones I recommend most and are the better bang for the buck. The others are good too. Might as well do as many as you can stand at the same time since they're almost all kind of a pain to install.

- Andy
I keep going back and forth on the diff bushings. Half the people seem to say that the added NVH isn't bad, half say it's awful. Do you have any experience with the whiteline or a similar kit with regards to NVH?
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #2290
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouShallKnow View Post
So I ended up taking your advice, I removed the Swift Sports springs replacing them with BRZ front springs and FR-S rear springs for the stiffest OEM springs possible.

Then I installed (or tried to) the Whiteline ALK, but I thrashed my ball joint boots in the process so I need to replace them now.

No dealerships have them in stock, soonest they can get them is Wednesday.

So I'm considering picking up the Whiteline roll center / bump steer kit just so I can get my car on the road today.

But now that I'm at stock ride height, I know there won't be much benefit.

My question is, will using the roll center kit HURT my handling at stock ride height? Or will I just not see much of a benefit?

I'm fine having the kit installed because I sure as hell never want to take my control arms off again and I will probably go lower again in the future once I get money for proper coilovers, but I also don't want to spend time and money on a part that hurts my handling.

Thanks for all your help, this thread is massively helpful to newbies like me.

My other option is to wait 2-3 days for the dealership to get stock ball joints in.

What do you think?
The WL RCK kit will not hurt your handling at stock ride height. There won't be much if any benefit either. I say go for it if you realistically plan on lowering the car later.

- Andy
YouShallKnow (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #2291
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
I keep going back and forth on the diff bushings. Half the people seem to say that the added NVH isn't bad, half say it's awful. Do you have any experience with the whiteline or a similar kit with regards to NVH?
Yes and IMO it's fine. My tolerance for transmission NVH is that I don't mind gear whine that much but can't stand clunks or too much vibration. Others may be different...

- Andy
was385 (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #2292
YouShallKnow

Quote:
The WL RCK kit will not hurt your handling at stock ride height. There won't be much if any benefit either. I say go for it if you realistically plan on lowering the car later.

- Andy
Anxiety alieved, thank you.

I owe you guys some business!
YouShallKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YouShallKnow For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #2293
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post

I have those bushings as well- If one perceives it as "clearer feedback" than introduced NVH, then you'll love the mods
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
sunset_blvd (02-24-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #2294
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
I have those bushings as well- If one perceives it as "clearer feedback" than introduced NVH, then you'll love the mods
That's really true. I have the subframe insets and rear UCA bushings and some would say NVH has definitely increased but I think it is just better connected to the road. However, I think its my limit so no more bushings for me as long as this remain my DD

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
yomny (02-23-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #2295
sunset_blvd

Drives: Lava 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just saw that you guys carry the "Whiteline MOTORSPORT Front Lower Control Arm Assembly Kit", but there is no picture or description. Can you give us some more information on this? Have you had any experience with it on your cars?

Last edited by sunset_blvd; 02-24-2015 at 02:48 PM.
sunset_blvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #2296
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset_blvd View Post
I just saw that you guys carry the "Whiteline MOTORSPORT Front Lower Control Arm Assembly Kit", but there is no picture or description. Can you give us some more information on this? Have you had any experience with it on your cars?
That's a poorly named part. It's just the Whiteline rear toe arm.

Part number KTA147.

- Andy