follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #309
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Kind of silly to argue as they ARE the same platform/car.

The point being that there CAN be a pretty significant appearance difference on cars of the same platform.
But being on the same platform does not = same sheet metal, and that is what the argument is essentially about, the sheet metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
And the Subaru and Toyota versions of the FT86 will share the same platform.

My whole point is that the Subaru can actually end up looking quite different. Probably more so than an ES and a Camry.
It's already been made clear that the difference will be in the headlights and bumpers. The ES and Camry sell in ridiculous numbers compared to what this car will sell in. If Sheet metal tooling is really expensive, no way they are investing in diff tooling for the subaru version, especially if they really did develop an all new platform for this car. Not for unedr $25k anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla35 View Post
^ *barf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan2 View Post
ohh and it sucks to be you guys that no matter what toyoya brings out, are ok with it. and defend toyota.
example! (a turd looking car with no more than 175 HP.) OHHH, THATS GREAT THAT''S JUST WHAT I WANTED... Bullshiet!!!!
WTF are you on about? Toyota fans are the hardest on the brand than pretty much anyone else, did you hit your head or something?

Ppl are here for a reason, and if you are here for just hp numbers, don't get all pissy when the FT-86 doesn't have OMGWTFBBQ 300hp. Go buy a V6 stang or something.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #310
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Ppl are here for a reason, and if you are here for just hp numbers, don't get all pissy when the FT-86 doesn't have OMGWTFBBQ 300hp. Go buy a V6 stang or something.

tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #311
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
It's already been made clear that the difference will be in the headlights and bumpers. The ES and Camry sell in ridiculous numbers compared to what this car will sell in. If Sheet metal tooling is really expensive, no way they are investing in diff tooling for the subaru version, especially if they really did develop an all new platform for this car. Not for unedr $25k anyway.
Different sheet metal for the Subaru version is possible--my thought was more that the Scion version won't differ much at all from the Toyota version. Some people are hoping the Scion version would be more like the MKIII, and with this prototype running around without much camo, that's pretty unlikely.

I don't understand the backlash with this car. For awhile people were lamenting about how the MKII/III were too "edgy" and not clean like the first concept, now people are lamenting how it's not edgy enough. As far as concepts > production go, the FR-S seems to be one of the few that's keeping it really close.
Aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #312
Flip

Drives: 2001 Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
What indications do you have that this is a Subaru? One could argue this is a Toyota based on the DAU0684 plate.
I guess it could be Toyota is using a Subaru concept to test the engine/suspension, which would explain the Toyota license plate. Because I couldn't otherwise explain why Toyota would give Subaru one of it's license plate for testing Subaru is doing, regardless of the joint venture thing.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #313
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
[QUOTE=Aki;41900I don't understand the backlash with this car. For awhile people were lamenting about how the MKII/III were too "edgy" and not clean like the first concept, now people are lamenting how it's not edgy enough. As far as concepts > production go, the FR-S seems to be one of the few that's keeping it really close.[/QUOTE]

That shows, you can't satisfy everyone. LOL
Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #314
86er|n2

Drives: ae86 levin coupe
Ok did a quick work up based on Sea1monkey2's render but trying more to show underlying curves, its hard to deduce some of what is happening with the flat paint but its mostly like ft-86 II concept as people have said the size and height of arches is still a bit hard to figure out as well as the sink of bonnet
86er|n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #315
dominican
Lude Dude

Drives: 1998 Honda Prelude
still has two nice little bumps over the front wheels. Imagine that, lowered with some good stance, in red or black with a nice sounding exhaust for the boxer engine. That car looks about right for a production car.

Problem with too many bulges and creases is that it increases production costs, and raises the price. Having said that, they kept a lot of the interesting bulges. Sure, it's a little blander than the concepts, but the concepts are just that, concepts. I like that it's a little toned down, leaves room for stuff I want to do, or don't.
dominican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #316
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
i dont know what you guys are talking about it looks fine the LED's located in the headlight where it should be the fog lamps in the right place and the more MkI air intake, didnt toyota warn us already that the production version was going to be toned down? im not suprised or dissapointed at all. yes i would've liked something more like the fr-s but this is what we are getting and its not that bad.

the one thing everyone is complaining about is the new "curve" in the front headlights but when i look at that all i see is the camo making that curve, there can still be the sharp point the MKII and III have, but the camo, camoflages that(how abou that?) and the curve along the side of them well i do see a strong resemblance towards the MkIII's curve on the side of the headlights, food for thought
Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #317
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Aggressive arches on a car that will be around 180-200hp NA? What other car priced around $23-25k and has 180-200hp comes with aggressive arches and other body panels like the 5axis FR-S concept? Did you really think the production care would look like that?

The height of the car is still under 50in.
Ummm HP is speculation as of now BUT besides that, here are some cars with the flares

Mazda:
Miata
RX8
Mazda 6
Mazda 3

Ford:
Fiesta
Focus

Subaru:
Legacy
Forester
WRX
Even the new 2012 Impreza has them.

Hyundai Veloster

NOW what?? Mr know it all. Tell me once again why they should not have flares and bulging panels to fit the whole idea of the car in general. HP has nothing to do with it since that could be done with aftermarket FI systems, this car is a successor to the ae86 with the addition of new world style and tech. I don't want the car to look like a Corolla and I don't want it to look like that ugly Genesis Coupe.

I'm gonna daily, track and auto-x this car to the fullest and I want to have low ride height and a wide track from the start before coil-overs go on and without the need to roll my fenders to at least get some 255 rubber under there.
PAImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #318
ft86cbx

Drives: FT86 (Soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
Ummm HP is speculation as of now BUT besides that, here are some cars with the flares

Mazda:
RX8
RX8. Perfect example
ft86cbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #319
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
There's something that people seem to be overlooking when trying to define the details in the body work through the camo: The lighting conditions. From the pictures, its obvious that it's an overcast rainy day. The diffuse lighting conditions, coupled with the swirly matte camo will make it difficult to pick out the true contours that make out the car. Some things are fairly obvious, the silly head and tail lamps (part of why I'm leaning on this being the Subaru version) and the squared off hood, trunk, etc. We can get a close approximation through photoshopping, but we won't get a truly accurate depiction. We're still a ways off and some details can still be tweaked between now and when we finally see the production version. As much as we love the concepts, I never really expected the concept to be identical to the production version.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #320
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
Look at the front door window and the big side mirrors.

2012 Impreza.

PAImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #321
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post

Mazda:
Miata
RX8
Mazda 6
Mazda 3

Ford:
Fiesta
Focus

Subaru:
Legacy
Forester
WRX
Even the new 2012 Impreza has them.

Hyundai Veloster

NOW what?? Mr know it all. Tell me once again why they should not have flares and bulging panels to fit the whole idea of the car in general. HP has nothing to do with it since that could be done with aftermarket FI systems, this car is a successor to the ae86 with the addition of new world style and tech. I don't want the car to look like a Corolla and I don't want it to look like that ugly Genesis Coupe.

I'm gonna daily, track and auto-x this car to the fullest and I want to have low ride height and a wide track from the start before coil-overs go on and without the need to roll my fenders to at least get some 255 rubber under there.

Never said I know it all. But people were complaining that the car didn't have the aggressive fenders and looks that the FR-S concept had:

None of those production cars you listed come even remotely close to the same degree of aggressiveness in terms of wheel arches/fender flares/sexy lines as the FR-S concept. You wanna know why? The FR-S concept is just that, a concept. It is made to look sexy to get your attention and to want more/be interested in the production version. They did their job.

I never said the FT-86/FR-S wouldn't have aggressive lines nor flares and bulging panels. However you won't see what you saw on the FR-S come to production. No way.

Once again, show me a car in the US that is priced at $23-25k that has the same degree of aggressiveness and bulging fenders as the FR-S concept. The closest example would be the 2011 Subaru WRX which got a lot of its styling cues and body panels from its older brother, STI. But even the STI looks mild mannered compared to the FR-S concept.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #322
Flip

Drives: 2001 Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you look closely, you can see shadows and highlights that mimic the FR-S rear fenders. I'm reserve judgement until I see the production version without camo.