follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #2493
Avo1789

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Anyone have a sewing machine type of sound coming from the overpipe area when accelerating from a stop? I only have the headers and q300.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #2494
Avo1789

^Also to be clear, it is not a metal to metal contact noise. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #2495
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avo1789 View Post
Anyone have a sewing machine type of sound coming from the overpipe area when accelerating from a stop? I only have the headers and q300.

How long have you owned this car? The classic "crickets" from the high pressure fuel pump sounds like a sewing machine.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #2496
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM86 View Post
Why, hello there. Look at the many shiny things sent to me by the great god of heavenly exhaust notes:

Still waiting on the Invidia resonated front pipe. Gonna be interesting going from completely stock to a full header back exhaust overnight!
what catback is that?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #2497
Avo1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
How long have you owned this car? The classic "crickets" from the high pressure fuel pump sounds like a sewing machine.
Over two years now. It is definately not crickets. I noticed this immediately after install. Doesn't bother me much but it is noticable when heard from the outside or sound reflections from a wall. I'm thinking its a bottleneck issue since my overpipe and frontpipe are OEM. To those who replaced the OP and FP do you still notice this fast ticking noise from the bottom of the engine bay?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #2498
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avo1789 View Post
Over two years now. It is definately not crickets. I noticed this immediately after install. Doesn't bother me much but it is noticable when heard from the outside or sound reflections from a wall. I'm thinking its a bottleneck issue since my overpipe and frontpipe are OEM. To those who replaced the OP and FP do you still notice this fast ticking noise from the bottom of the engine bay?
Leak maybe? Or is it vibrating against something?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #2499
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM86 View Post
Why, hello there. Look at the many shiny things sent to me by the great god of heavenly exhaust notes:

Still waiting on the Invidia resonated front pipe. Gonna be interesting going from completely stock to a full header back exhaust overnight!
Is that a SpeedFactory header? They did away with even more welds? Looks nice
Old 05-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #2500
DGM86

Drives: 15 BRZ, 07 Tacoma TRD, 01 Miata SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
what catback is that?
That is the FT86Speedfactory resonated V1. This is the daily rage package from them (pic doesn't show the resonated front pipe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
Is that a SpeedFactory header? They did away with even more welds? Looks nice
Yes sir, its their catted UEL. Will post sound clips when I can finally get around to installing everything
Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #2501
DGM86

Garage
So, I got my header, overpipe and catback installed today as the Invidia resonated front pipe is backordered for now. The only thing more noticeable than the sexy exhaust noises was the CEL that came on immediately. Pulled it when I got home, P0031 - HO2S heater control circuit low (Bank 1, Sensor 1) which, if I am not mistaken, is the front O2 sensor and not the rear like I had assumed at first. I removed the negative battery terminal, no change. I will take it back to the shop ASAP to have them look over the wiring for the front sensor, perhaps they messed up installing the front, but I doubt it this guy is pretty good. Dropped it maybe?

Any one have experience with this CEL? A search did not turn up much. Car seems to drive just fine, with improved butt dyno results no less. Is this going to screw with my gas mileage? Should I not be driving it with a messed up front O2 sensor?
Old 05-21-2015, 02:37 AM   #2502
Sphirit

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So if I run this headers with stock tune I will get a cel?? An O2 spacer would help??
Here in Spain it is hard to found a good tuner for this car.
My car is completly stock,only have a TRD intake and a greddy sp elite.
Sorry my bad english.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #2503
kodyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphirit View Post
So if I run this headers with stock tune I will get a cel?? An O2 spacer would help??
Here in Spain it is hard to found a good tuner for this car.
My car is completly stock,only have a TRD intake and a greddy sp elite.
Sorry my bad english.
I had a Motiv over pipe, motiv catted front pipe, stock mid pipe, and greddy sp elite axleback and did not get a CEL with this header over 7,653 miles. Take that for what it's worth.

Once I installed OFT, that's when I started getting a CEL, which I force tuned out.
The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
Sphirit (05-24-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #2504
FTemplar

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech 2013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So, what's the general consensus on this header? I am looking at buying a used one from someone in my local FRS/BRZ club. I saw in this thread that there is a new version, but i'm gonna assume the one he is selling me is the first version.
Torque dip ? HP gains ? Check engine probabilities ? I have a K&N Drop-in air filter and a 'Lachute Performance' Catback.

Thanks & regards
Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #2505
kodyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTemplar View Post
So, what's the general consensus on this header? I am looking at buying a used one from someone in my local FRS/BRZ club. I saw in this thread that there is a new version, but i'm gonna assume the one he is selling me is the first version.
Torque dip ? HP gains ? Check engine probabilities ? I have a K&N Drop-in air filter and a 'Lachute Performance' Catback.

Thanks & regards
I noticed more linear power transfer. HP gains? Maybe a few, hard to say. With your mods, I'd say probability of check engine is low. But use at your own risk. I've never knew they were making a V2, I guess I have a V1 and quite like it.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #2506
DGM86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTemplar View Post

Thanks & regards
You won't get the same gains as you would from a catless header and both really need a tune to unlock the gains, but I think the catted UELs sound better. Certainly easier to keep the loudness and rasp under control. I've had mine for a few weeks now and according to the butt dyno there's a slight gain in peak power, but it can't be much more than 5-10 hp. FT86SF claims 14hp and 5 lb-ft peak gain, which seems high to me but not unreasonably so. However, I am not running any intake mods as of yet, and mods are often complimentary.

I do really notice it at the bottom end. Torque dip isn't gone, but close, and there's a very noticeable improvement in power across the daily driver rpm range. I find the car is easier to drive now, even though the clutch still sucks. Not really sure why that is, but I feel it.

I'll post a video of the sound as soon as I can figure out how. It sounds fantastic.

Closed Thread

Tags
catted uel header, ft86speedfactory header, is my order ready yet?