follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #15
MX-5RACER

Drives: 1999 Miata
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When I first started researching the FRS/BRZ/86, I was reading that there were people using the Lexus credit card style smart key and being able to pair them with the cars. Are people still doing this? This might be a good alternative to our current keys.

Here is the old post that had seen, but there has been no updates for a while:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126163
MX-5RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
YotaMD

Drives: 91 Supra and 99 Land Cruiser
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
So, do you happen to know if this also works with the BRZ keyfobs? I like this idea.
If you've got the two rounded moon buttons like you see in the YotaMD pictures, yours will fit. There are 3 varieties of button layouts and I can accommodate them all. I've got two currently posted on the site and the third iteration (trunk button without panic) is due for release soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLD View Post
Thanks mate I didn't know about that. And thanks for your opinion too.

Unfortunately my key isn't the same as the one on Yotamd, I don't have an alarm button but a truck release button and it's in a different place. But that one really looks cool.
See my reply right above this. I'll likely have yours available this fall.

Stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
Yup I have the same key too. I contacted YotaMD and he said he will make a key fob for us
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
I sent an email asking about 2015+ BRZ compatibility. The 2015+ key design is common for all keyless entry Subarus. He said he would add it to the list, but it would probably help to have other people ask for the same thing.
Definitely, each future remote's place on my design priority list can be moved around by demand. If enough people want something, I'll move it to the top of the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
and ordered... i really like the titanium portion instead of relying on a plastic eyelet...
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
Thank you for the links and pics here! Spreading the word on social media and on forums like these is huge for me. I appreciate it!

Let me know if you folks have any other questions or requests on the YotaMD products. I'm always looking to expand offerings and answer questions!

-Andy (YotaMD founder)
YotaMD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YotaMD For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-28-2019), tehShirt (08-30-2019), why? (10-31-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #17
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
Paging @Stang70Fastback to show off his 3D designing/printing skills.
Haha. Here is the one I designed that I've been using for, like, a year now! I'm just going to copy-paste my Facebook post:

----------------

I was frustrated with the massive size of the stock key fob, and decided to see if I could make something smaller with my 3D printer. This is the result:

Length: 2.1" vs. 2.8" (25% shorter)
Width: 1.1" vs. 1.6" (31% narrower)
Thickness: 0.38" vs. 0.70" (46% thinner)
Weight: 15g vs 50g (70% lighter)

The end result is something that feels MUCH smaller in your pocket, which is especially nice if you're a skinny guy like me, and don't like bulky items in your pockets.

Having said that, this is a very user-specific item. I stripped away everything I didn't need. There is no physical key. In 4+ years of ownership, I've never allowed the fob battery to get so low that it couldn't unlock the car. You can't start the car with the physical key anyway, so it's just for getting into the car at that point. That made it unnecessary for me. Also to reduce the thickness even further, I decided on a flexible top layer, rather than individual buttons. You can still easily press all four buttons on the fob, as the top shell has ribbed internal supports to separate the top skin into four zones. They aren't labeled, but after any amount of using the fob, the buttons are muscle memory anyway.

And no, this fob isn't the prettiest fob, but as I have keyless entry, this fob pretty much goes into my pocket when I get dressed, and comes back out of the pocket when I go to sleep... and that's about it. So I could care less how it looks, as I never even really touch it - even to lock or unlock the car. I just wanted it to be a small and unobtrusive as possible

Note that these photos show the fob I've had in my pocket for 6 months now, so it has been worn smooth, and nicked. I also used various grits of sandpaper to round off the top edges.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Fred E (08-29-2019), norcalpb (10-29-2019), soundman98 (08-28-2019), why? (10-31-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 05:36 PM   #18
YotaMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Haha. Here is the one I designed that I've been using for, like, a year now! I'm just going to copy-paste my Facebook post:

----------------

I was frustrated with the massive size of the stock key fob, and decided to see if I could make something smaller with my 3D printer. This is the result:

Length: 2.1" vs. 2.8" (25% shorter)
Width: 1.1" vs. 1.6" (31% narrower)
Thickness: 0.38" vs. 0.70" (46% thinner)
Weight: 15g vs 50g (70% lighter)

The end result is something that feels MUCH smaller in your pocket, which is especially nice if you're a skinny guy like me, and don't like bulky items in your pockets.

Having said that, this is a very user-specific item. I stripped away everything I didn't need. There is no physical key. In 4+ years of ownership, I've never allowed the fob battery to get so low that it couldn't unlock the car. You can't start the car with the physical key anyway, so it's just for getting into the car at that point. That made it unnecessary for me. Also to reduce the thickness even further, I decided on a flexible top layer, rather than individual buttons. You can still easily press all four buttons on the fob, as the top shell has ribbed internal supports to separate the top skin into four zones. They aren't labeled, but after any amount of using the fob, the buttons are muscle memory anyway.

And no, this fob isn't the prettiest fob, but as I have keyless entry, this fob pretty much goes into my pocket when I get dressed, and comes back out of the pocket when I go to sleep... and that's about it. So I could care less how it looks, as I never even really touch it - even to lock or unlock the car. I just wanted it to be a small and unobtrusive as possible

Note that these photos show the fob I've had in my pocket for 6 months now, so it has been worn smooth, and nicked. I also used various grits of sandpaper to round off the top edges.

I've spent an unusually large amount of time staring at and designing all kinds of fobs and this is one of the most interesting things I've seen. Very cool work. Kudos to you. Very user-specific, as you said, but very unique. Super simple and as minimalist as it gets.

How do the two halves stay together?
The Following User Says Thank You to YotaMD For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #19
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaMD View Post
I've spent an unusually large amount of time staring at and designing all kinds of fobs and this is one of the most interesting things I've seen. Very cool work. Kudos to you. Very user-specific, as you said, but very unique. Super simple and as minimalist as it gets.

How do the two halves stay together?
Thanks! There are some ridges at the top and bottom that allow it to firmly snap together. Now if I could only figure out how to mass-produce and sell them, lol. I need an injection molding machine!

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #20
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
If you've got the two rounded moon buttons like you see in the YotaMD pictures, yours will fit. There are 3 varieties of button layouts and I can accommodate them all. I've got two currently posted on the site and the third iteration (trunk button without panic) is due for release soon.

Let me know if you folks have any other questions or requests on the YotaMD products. I'm always looking to expand offerings and answer questions!

-Andy (YotaMD founder)
My 2017 BRZ key fob has four buttons: lock, unlock, trunk, alarm. Is this supported? Sorry, I’m not so quick on the draw visualizing this. It looks exactly like the key fob that @Stang70Fastback has and modified. If it is supported, can you indicate which kit I should buy?
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #21
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
My 2017 BRZ key fob has four buttons: lock, unlock, trunk, alarm. Is this supported? Sorry, I’m not so quick on the draw visualizing this. It looks exactly like the key fob that @Stang70Fastback has and modified. If it is supported, can you indicate which kit I should buy?
if your key fob looks like this, he already makes one.

if your key fob looks like this, he's working on it.

Tristor (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #22
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks, I’m the latter. Sounds like coming soon is the answer then.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #23
Yeel

Drives: BRZ
Quote:

See my reply right above this. I'll likely have yours available this fall.

Stay tuned!

-Andy (YotaMD founder)

Cant wait for this one, the new style key (2015+) is so damn thick. Is there any plans on making an extra slim version with no key in the fob? Since you cant start the car with the key anyway.
Yeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:07 AM   #24
YotaMD

Update! I finally got some of the 3 button BRZ/FT86 shells in stock. I need a couple test fitters to make sure there's no unexpected "gotchya" with this variant's button.

I'm 95% sure these will be a perfect fit, but I'm overly cautious these days. So, I'm looking early adopters that are interested in a 20% upfront discount and an additional 20% for feedback/pics of your BRZ/FT86 remote in the YotaMD shell.

Please PM me if you're interested!
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YotaMD For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (10-22-2019), soundman98 (10-22-2019), tehShirt (10-22-2019), why? (10-31-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #25
Borden

Drives: 2017 BRZ
here's my key since the day I got my car, easy to implement, work like a charm.

Name:  IMG_11501.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  304.1 KB
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #26
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Just received my YotaMD key shell and I'm really liking it. It is about the same size as the stock 13-14 wireless key but feels much more sleek in your hand.

It comes with 2 sets of screws in the hardware set (black/silver) that you get to choose from, and 2 keychain attachment options (key ring/key hook). This screw-in design is way better than the clip-together design by factory. especially if you've taken your factory key apart a lot like I have.

The shell features a slot for your valet key. It even has a metal attachment for your keychain, so your valet key no longer has to carry the weight of the rest of your keychain. This had caused a rattle on my factory shell and I'm looking forward to this never rattling.

The only downside to this shell, if you could call it that, is the texture is very rough and I can see this thing getting dirty quickly. I'd also like some options for engraving. In the last picture you can see my roommates custom 4runner trd pro key shell. It is smooth and features and an engraving in which you can put a colored sticker into. Really slick stuff.

It's also a bummer to lose the panic button but it's something I can live without.

Overall I'd recommend this remote to anyone.

norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
tehShirt (10-30-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 11:37 PM   #27
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
We do a lot work with finishing SLS nylon parts to a smooth paintable at my job, the cost would skyrocket. It's not as simple as sanding and painting, its inherently a granular process, sintering powder.

That said this looks like a perfect candidate for urethane casting/soft tooling (volume and surface finish wise).
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #28
YotaMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post

Just received my YotaMD key shell and I'm really liking it. It is about the same size as the stock 13-14 wireless key but feels much more sleek in your hand.

It comes with 2 sets of screws in the hardware set (black/silver) that you get to choose from, and 2 keychain attachment options (key ring/key hook). This screw-in design is way better than the clip-together design by factory. especially if you've taken your factory key apart a lot like I have.

The shell features a slot for your valet key. It even has a metal attachment for your keychain, so your valet key no longer has to carry the weight of the rest of your keychain. This had caused a rattle on my factory shell and I'm looking forward to this never rattling.

The only downside to this shell, if you could call it that, is the texture is very rough and I can see this thing getting dirty quickly. I'd also like some options for engraving. In the last picture you can see my roommates custom 4runner trd pro key shell. It is smooth and features and an engraving in which you can put a colored sticker into. Really slick stuff.

It's also a bummer to lose the panic button but it's something I can live without.

Overall I'd recommend this remote to anyone.

Nice pictures, thank you! Regarding the panic button, I do make a 4 button. I was told the BRZ remotes generally don't have that 4th button, but I guess that's incorrect! If you'd like a 4 button front shell, I can send one out.

The surface finish wears well over time. It'll smooth slightly. If dirtiness is a concern I'd recommend the Cerakote options. That provides a uniform surface that's less rough and cleans very easily. It also opens the doors to some wild colors.

Spare plastics will be posted up shortly on the store. They'll cost a fraction of the kit and allow you to swap out shells if you ever get the itch for Cerakote.

Thanks for the pictures and feedback! Looks good!
The Following User Says Thank You to YotaMD For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (10-30-2019)