follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #939
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
better solution for wire

I HAVE TRIED every which way from Sunday to get that piece to come out with out any success. Please tell me in detail how you did it.

Got mine from BRZWorld and installed it this afternoon
Attached Images

Last edited by FLYFISHR; 03-16-2015 at 01:28 AM.
FLYFISHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:26 AM   #940
Trap63

Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYFISHR View Post
I HAVE TRIED every which way from Sunday to get that piece to come out with out any success. Please tell me in detail how you did it.

Got mine from BRZWorld and installed it this afternoon
You need to pull in the two inside dents on top and move panel outside. Can help forcing from bottom.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #941
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
You need to pull in the two inside dents on top and move panel outside. Can help forcing from bottom.

Worked like a charm thank you very much. It all looks stock now with the split loom I use to cover the other wires. I also wrapped the module with electrical tape to waterproof it.
Trap63 (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #942
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Still haven't heard back regarding the broken relay shipped with my kit. :/
BRZoomTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #943
exfortuna

Drives: 14 BRZ, 93 Cherokee, 94 Ninja 250R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Sounds like you may have a problem with the relay in our kit! If you can see the DRLs working with factory relay, then you unplug and replace it with the new relay (while running), it's definitely a problem with the relay. Please email us to request replacement. Thank you!
I am in the exact same situation. I called referring to this post and was told my unit was not malfunctioning.
exfortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #944
BRZoomTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfortuna View Post
I am in the exact same situation. I called referring to this post and was told my unit was not malfunctioning.
That is ridiculous. Do we need to make a video showing this problem or something?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #945
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I installed my kit today, and I think that there's a problem. I don't think that I have read where anyone else had the problem I'm having???

Car: U.S. Manual transmission 2014 BRZ

Normal operation (pre kit install),

- car running, release parking brake, headlight switch in off position = under bumper DRL's ON
- car running, engage parking brake, headlight switch in off position = under bumper DRL's OFF

After kit installation

- car running, release parking brake = DRL's + boomerangs OFF (no lighting)
- car running, stalk light switch in AUTO position = all lights ON
- car running, stalk light switch position 2 = DRL's + boomerangs ONLY ON
- car running, stalk light switch position 3 = all lights ON

Fog lights still work normally

If i understand the way the kit is supposed to work, with the headlight switch in the off position, engine running and parking brake released, the DRL's + boomerangs should be ON, right?
2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT

Last edited by Agent 86; 03-17-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #946
jshu01

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
I installed my kit today, and I think that there's a problem. I don't think that I have read where anyone else had the problem I'm having???

- car running, release parking brake, headlight switch in off position = under bumper DRL's ON
- car running, engage parking brake, headlight switch in off position = under bumper DRL's OFF

After kit installation

If i understand the way the kit is supposed to work, with the headlight switch in the off position, engine running and parking brake released, the DRL's + boomerangs should be ON, right?

My kit did the exact same thing. DD sent a replacement and the new kit did the same too.

Then one night I noticed the DRL flickering when I was pulling/releasing the e-brake like there was a loose connection. So I lifted the e-brake cover and located the e-brake sensor switch. Pressed on the switch a few times and now the DLR/boomerang works as advertised.
jshu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #947
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

After kit installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshu01 View Post
My kit did the exact same thing. DD sent a replacement and the new kit did the same too.

Then one night I noticed the DRL flickering when I was pulling/releasing the e-brake like there was a loose connection. So I lifted the e-brake cover and located the e-brake sensor switch. Pressed on the switch a few times and now the DLR/boomerang works as advertised.
From what I understand, everything is supposed to be off when you're set to off. DRLs will come on when youre in Auto and the car doesn't think its dark out (the sensor isnt being blocked)
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #948
BRZoomTX

We are all having the same problem. DRLs are not coming on with the car running and the headlight switch in the OFF position.

What is even more weird is my DRLs started working today. Driving through town, I stopped in a parking lot and just turned off my headlights to make a call real quick. There was still light in front of my car, so I got out and looked and both the DRLs and boomerangs were on with the headlight switch in the OFF position. I get home and test this again, turn the headlight switch to OFF, nothing is on again.

Diode Dynamics needs to address this problem for us. I still have no reply to my email and another user is claiming they said this is normal. This is clearly not normal because replacing the relay makes the DRLs work again. Either we were all sent faulty relays or something else on our cars is creating a common issue.

This is very clearly an issue with the Diode Dynamics relay. With the car running, nothing else changed, I can swap in the factory relay and the relay clicks with DRLs immediately coming on. Putting the Diode Dynamics relay back in, DRLs do not work. Once again nothing other than the relay is being changed. Doors are closed, headlight switch is OFF, car doesn't move an inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
From what I understand, everything is supposed to be off when you're set to off. DRLs will come on when youre in Auto and the car doesn't think its dark out (the sensor isnt being blocked)
Not true. With the factory relay, e-brake down on the manual transmission and the car running, DRLs immediately come on with the headlight switch in the OFF position.

However even with AUTO during the day, DRLs do not come on like they do with the factory relay. They do not work unless the headlight switch is set to the parking lights or is in the ON position. DD states this kit does not affect factory DRL functionality, so this by their own advertising is a problem.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRZoomTX For This Useful Post:
aaronglass (03-18-2015), Cheeseballs (03-20-2015), exfortuna (03-17-2015), jflBRZ (03-18-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #949
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ron] View Post
We are all having the same problem. DRLs are not coming on with the car running and the headlight switch in the OFF position.

What is even more weird is my DRLs started working today. Driving through town, I stopped in a parking lot and just turned off my headlights to make a call real quick. There was still light in front of my car, so I got out and looked and both the DRLs and boomerangs were on with the headlight switch in the OFF position. I get home and test this again, turn the headlight switch to OFF, nothing is on again.

Diode Dynamics needs to address this problem for us. I still have no reply to my email and another user is claiming they said this is normal. This is clearly not normal because replacing the relay makes the DRLs work again. Either we were all sent faulty relays or something else on our cars is creating a common issue.

This is very clearly an issue with the Diode Dynamics relay. With the car running, nothing else changed, I can swap in the factory relay and the relay clicks with DRLs immediately coming on. Putting the Diode Dynamics relay back in, DRLs do not work. Once again nothing other than the relay is being changed. Doors are closed, headlight switch is OFF, car doesn't move an inch.

Not true. With the factory relay, e-brake down on the manual transmission and the car running, DRLs immediately come on with the headlight switch in the OFF position.

However even with AUTO during the day, DRLs do not come on like they do with the factory relay. They do not work unless the headlight switch is set to the parking lights or is in the ON position. DD states this kit does not affect factory DRL functionality, so this by their own advertising is a problem.
My bad, you're right. I just checked the manual. DRLs should be on even when headlight controls are set to Off.

I wonder if its the jumper settings on the relay box? I didn't get any written instructions with mine so I have no idea what the jumper settings do >_>

I also still haven't had a chance to install mine... been surprisingly busy the last few weekends. Hopefully mine doesnt have any issues.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:40 AM   #950
jflBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ 6AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ron] View Post

yeah, I experienced the same issue when I installed mine 3 weeks ago. Seems like the relay was the issue. I went back stock to test it, sure enough DRL worked normally... so I re-install the Always-On module a second time, somehow the module is performing like it should .... hopefully the relay issue won't come back.

Either way, I would like DD to fully test out the relays or even have a higher quality ones in case there's a warranty claim.
jflBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:39 AM   #951
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Has Diode Dynamics published anything describing how their kit should function relative to each position on the light switch? The installation video, while a great tool for installing, does not make this clear.

This is what I would like to know.

Boomerang & DRL behavior with both jumpers in the On position...

1.) Engine On, switch in position 0 (off) parking brake engaged = ?
Engine On, switch in position 0 (off) parking brake released = ?
2.) Engine On, switch in position 1 (auto) = ?
3.) Engine On, switch in position 2 (parking lights) = ?
4.) Engine On, switch in position 3 (lights on manual) = ?

Having this information would at least let me know what to expect.

2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #952
BRZoomTX

Quote:
Has Diode Dynamics published anything describing how their kit should function relative to each position on the light switch? The installation video, while a great tool for installing, does not make this clear.

This is what I would like to know.

Boomerang & DRL behavior with both jumpers in the On position...

1.) Engine On, switch in position 0 (off) parking brake engaged = ?
Engine On, switch in position 0 (off) parking brake released = ?
2.) Engine On, switch in position 1 (auto) = ?
3.) Engine On, switch in position 2 (parking lights) = ?
4.) Engine On, switch in position 3 (lights on manual) = ?

Having this information would at least let me know what to expect.

This is because DRLs with their kit are supposed to be ON with the headlight switch in the OFF position. The main feature of this kit is adding the boomerangs to the DRLs, then keeping the DRLs ON with the headlights. Everything works other than maintaining DRLs during the day with the headlight switch in the OFF position.

There are many other buyers in the BRZ Facebook groups with the same issue, however even more people with them working as expected without this problem. This has already been determined to be an issue based on them working fine for other people.

Still waiting on a response on my ticket with Diode Dynamics... However of course I receive a marking email.

http://i.imgur.com/ChV0EJS.png

Product doesn't work as advertised and appears to be related to faulty relays. Diode Dynamics, when are you fixing this?