follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #71
Borgore
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Toyota FT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
If you bought a car so you could have more attention, I feel sorry for you.

I know you said "...from the joy of driving it to..." but you gave more emphasis to the attention you have gained from it and even made a jab at the fun dying down due to it becoming more common. That's just sad, in my books.
There's nothing wrong with liking the extra attention. Its kind of like being the guy with the BMW at a Honda meet. Sure people gawk and stare, though sometimes being different is what's needed.

In SoCal they've become a very common and I see at least five everyday. However everytime I see a nicely modded FR-S, or any car, I break my neck looking at it. Nicely done cars on the road aren't a dime a dozen, and I'm sure everyone fixes their car for the extra attention, exterior wise at least.
Borgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #72
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
If you bought a car so you could have more attention, I feel sorry for you.

I know you said "...from the joy of driving it to..." but you gave more emphasis to the attention you have gained from it and even made a jab at the fun dying down due to it becoming more common. That's just sad, in my books.
The car is obviously brilliant... that's why I bought it. All I was saying is it's very enjoyable to be part of something so special as the release of this car rather than sitting on the sidelines. It was in response to another poster taking a jab at early adopters for not waiting.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #73
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff86 View Post
The car is obviously brilliant... that's why I bought it. All I was saying is it's very enjoyable to be part of something so special as the release of this car rather than sitting on the sidelines. It was in response to another poster taking a jab at early adopters for not waiting.
Exactly.

Originally, I told myself I was going to wait for the demand to settle down so I could buy at invoice. But saving $2k for invoice by waiting a year or more is not worth it to me... the 5 year wait for this car was already agonizing; every extra month I wait after release is like losing an extra month of life that could have been greater. I also thought about waiting for a special TRD or STI version but it's still uncertain that one will reach US shores (Japan or Europe, yes). Why wait to live my life (especially for something uncertain) if I can enjoy/mod it to my content right now. Then, a year or two later, enjoy the special version after trade-in. Bugs will be covered retroactively by warranty/recalls/TSBs. If the special version is not much better than my current BRZ, then I will not have wasted some years of life waiting to live. I knew in my heart that it would make me happy, so I snatched one up. Life changes. Opportunities may close unexpectedly. Live actively, not passively. And once the first special version comes, there will be an even better version later (examples: GT-R Black Edition got revamped again, RX-7 Spirit R, Corvette Grand Sport, Nismo 350Z, S2000 Club Racer).

I've owned a few cars from their 1st year of production with no problems. I have faith that the Subaru/Toyota engineers delivered a first year BRZ that is *mostly* robust (mine's been great so far). All the cool race/competition/special build/show cars are being immortalized right now as first model year cars. My other first model year cars were bought used and I'd get some gratification from researching their racing heritage, etc. years after it happened. It feels damn good to finally feel like a part of the excitement as it is happening.

Improvements are made every year because of Toyota's policy of kaizen; the final year will the best. They've made drastic changes to the final years of many models (VVT-i was introduced in the last years of the Soarer/SC400, Yamaha-tuned BEAMS N/A engine in the final year of the MkII MR2; the turbo version was upped +42 hp over the original turbo). Tada-san said in an interview that he hopes the 86 has a 10 year lifespan and plans to release special versions of this car throughout those years. If I decide this car will be classic, I'd probably consider trading in for the final year... but by that time the MkII BRZ will be on the table. What better way to decide than to think it over while having a blast in one right now?

Last edited by switchlanez; 11-15-2012 at 01:42 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (02-25-2013), clzzical (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #74
tomato86

Drives: '13 FR-S | '08 Evo [Sold]
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Exciting stuff. Heck in 10 years I may buy another one of these puppies.
tomato86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #75
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
2014 GT86/FRS Changes

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...ring-prototype

Not sure if this has been posted but I randomly stumbled upon it. Looks like there will be more options in the aerodynamics department, 18" BBS aluminum wheels with Michelin 215/40/ZR 18 tires, and some new B-pillar stiffeners that improve the ride. "The development car felt stiffer and rode better than the standard FR-S and Tada-san suggested this might be to do with the remarkable door stabilizers, which he eventually sees as being part of an individualization program, where customers can tell their dealers about their driving style and the door stiffeners are tweaked to suit."

Also looks like a new exhaust and possibly a reworked interior replacing the nav screen: "After criticism that the standard model sounds like a washing machine, the new free-flow exhaust is pretty fruity, but it's a droning buzz and it won't take long to tire of it. There's not much changed in the cabin except for a natty set of TRD ancillary instruments, which take the place of the standard sat nav."

This article was released in December but the changes do not seem too out there. I also couldn't really tell if some of these were changes or additional options.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (03-28-2013), Clipdat (03-28-2013), Hindi (03-30-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #76
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That car looks and sounds like a lhd 86 factory tune 001. According to the article, it would only cost $26k including even the sachs dampers while getting a fully equipped trd model would be $20k just for the parts!!!! For that price i'd go with the factory tuned 001 any day.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #77
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Love the gauges in place of the radio!
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #78
supramkivtt2jz
PROUD OF BOXER

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
All that would be nice, but its just a prototype
Old 03-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #79
sidnacious

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Friend took this a few minutes ago from NY. Standard Euro/JDM spec headlights and new limited edition silver

sidnacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #80
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
"Generic looking"? Hmm....NO!

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #81
TaddyDobbins

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Good article but it is dated November 12, 2012.
TaddyDobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #82
Kaster

Drives: Toyota FJ
I don't think those headlights are standard just yet...
Kaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #83
SilentAngel

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidnacious View Post
Friend took this a few minutes ago from NY. Standard Euro/JDM spec headlights and new limited edition silver

I think that's the 10 release series...
Old 03-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #84
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAngel View Post
I think that's the 10 release series...
Definitely the Release Series. Another user on a different thread was saying a few weeks ago that he was told by a Scion Canada that the release series would have HID's, push button start, some TRD parts, and be silver. So that confirms it, I guess.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kALMIGHTY For This Useful Post: