follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Rav is integrated, but I'm more talking about the software rather than the physical unit itself.
I understand what your saying, and I also believe that Toyota is controlling Entune revisions also with hardware. I've flashed to the latest version, but I think the "real" upgrades will require improved hardware and Toyota will not put a lot of effort into legacy support. This won't be like how Apple keeps providing new versions of iOS to older phones. I specifically say this because I can't buy your unit and stick it in my FRS because it wont fit.

It's hard to track revisions. Toyota has some vague explanation of an Entune/ Entune Plus/ Entune Premius / JBL Entune Premium. http://www.toyota.com/entune/

Quote:
Looking through the Scion manuals, the screens look almost identical to the '12 Camry Display Audio and Display Audio with Entune units. Basically, if you've messed with a '14 FR-S bespoke, how similar is it to the '12 corolla Entune you have?
I actually just traded my Toyota unit for a Scion unit ('14). The base display audio is virtually identical from what I can tell, minus some additional programming for things like the stereo settings (which makes a dramatic difference in sound quality), voice command button, and lack of XM radio on the Scion unit.

I kept my entune extension box. I haven't use an Aha box so I don't personally know what the difference is. I think most of the functionality is identical, like the entune apps, but you may not need to run a phone app anymore for it to connect. Can anyone else chime in?

Quote:
I guess we'll see if the soon to be released '15 models get a new radio.
It looks like the new 2014 Corolla has the same 7" screen as your Rav4. I looked at the 2014 Yaris, Haha! It looks like the old 2013 Scion base stereo unit.

I would watch to see if there is an updated unit put into the Prius C. It should be due for a mid model update in a year or two. I don't know if they will keep the dash the same, or switch over to the integrated design like the Rav4/Camry/Corolla. Scion would probably get it a year later.

I think this is a major failure on Toyota's part; how can Scion be your youth division if it keeps getting last gen HMI/Telematics ? Then again, Toyota products have been gutting Scion for a while now; cars like the Yaris (xA, xD, iQ) and Corolla (sort of tC) have been directly competing with Scion's lineup for a while now.
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 AM   #16
Skidrcn

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subbed for later use!
Skidrcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #17
Cigarcia1975

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2015 Scion FR-S

Hi everyone...hopefully someone here can answer this question.

I just bought a 2015 Scion FR-S....it came with a Pioneer BeSpoke. It has Bluetooth...But I guess it's just the basic package because it doesn't have the navigation or backup camera. My question is this: what exactly do I need to do to add a backup camera and navigation on the unit that is already there? All I really want is a good sounding system with backup and navigation.

Thanks.
Cigarcia1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:49 AM   #18
P@ul
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarcia1975 View Post
Hi everyone...hopefully someone here can answer this question.

I just bought a 2015 Scion FR-S....it came with a Pioneer BeSpoke. It has Bluetooth...But I guess it's just the basic package because it doesn't have the navigation or backup camera. My question is this: what exactly do I need to do to add a backup camera and navigation on the unit that is already there? All I really want is a good sounding system with backup and navigation.

Thanks.

You buy a camera, there's a bunch of options on the forum. I bought the beatsonic: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41673 . You will need to buy extra wires, some crimps, and have some soldering stuff. It takes a while to run the cable all the way to the back but it's not too bad and will teach you stuff about the car.

If you want nav, you need to buy a nav module (bespoke or entune), gps antenna, and brackets. There are some people already selling assembled kits, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Scion-b...ed1e41&vxp=mtr
Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
rubvazquez

Drives: scion xb
scion 14 head head

I need some help i have a 14 scion Xb head unit and toyota extension box PT296-47120 EA. I can't get it to work, i don't know if it is compatible or if i need to reset the radio, Thanks
rubvazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
Ledippen

Drives: 2013 Fr-s Firestorm 2013 Fr-s 10ser
I did same Setup from audio sound wise. i believe the amp is not turning on that is why its does have a louder volume.
Ledippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 AM   #21
Ledippen

Drives: 2013 Fr-s Firestorm 2013 Fr-s 10ser
Confirmed that this radio has nothing coming out of pin 9 on 10 pin harness. which is brown on main harness. just spliced it together with acc wire on top of it and all is good. small red wire
Ledippen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ledippen For This Useful Post:
SVXdc (04-01-2015), trueno86power (05-15-2016)
Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #22
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Because the OP had to slightly modify the plug on the 'for Toyota' GPS antenna he found on eBay, I'm guessing that this HU actually has the same kind of socket as on all of the BRZ Fujitsu Ten nav HUs. I can't say for certain, because I didn't find a good picture of the back of this HU (hint -- could somebody post one?).

BRZ (and other recent Subarus) use a socket that Fujitsu Ten has been using on many of their Eclipse HUs (both aftermarket and OEM). There are eBay vendors selling GPS antennas with the proper plug. Here's one with good close-up pictures of the plug (I have no relation to, nor do I know anything else about that vendor).

You could also go with an OEM GPS antenna from Subaru -- ones intended for BRZ or most other 2008-2014 models (Impreza, WRX, STi, Forester, Crosstrek, Legacy, Outback). All of those have the same Eclipse-style plug. Subaru did change to a different connector on the latest models (e.g, 2015 Impreza, Crosstrek, Legacy, Outback).
Old 08-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #23
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Entune 5.2.0 was released.

https://dl.securedp.toyota.com/toyot...-HBEKR-15A.zip
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to post_break For This Useful Post:
P@ul (11-05-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #24
gedster314

Drives: Thunderbolt Grease Slapper
If anyone wants to go with the Scion HeadUnit, pm me. I have one available that came from an FRS. I'm currently playing with the Scion AHA Nav module and comparing it with my Entune 5.2 unit. I should be deciding shortly which I will keep.
gedster314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:50 PM   #25
Paul1114

Drives: Scion
Quote:
Originally Posted by P@ul View Post
I’m wondering if this can also be reflashed to become Bespoke with Aha. I’m not sure how much difference there is but both extension boxes are made by Harman and look similar, so I’m guessing the hardware is the exact same. If you have any info, please hit me up.
I'm working on this.
  • The FCC ID and IC# of both are identical, leading me to believe they are literally the same box.
  • If I try to flash the most recent software, there is no explicit incompatibility listed, only a warning that the version is too old:

I've been digging into the code (I have many years experience as a software developer) but no luck so far. Simply firing up the 'ol hex editor to change the version from number is ineffective, as I believe there is a checksum validation on the image file taking place; any modification, no matter how slight, results in an immediate "authentication error" when trying the update.

I'll keep hammering away at it - I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible.
Paul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:28 AM   #26
Paul1114

Drives: Scion
Let me update my efforts with a bit of information:

1. Virtually all Harmon devices have identical hardware. In theory, *any* module can be flashed to any other module (Bespoke, NAV only, Entune with or without other apps, etc).

2. A process known as "authenticationService" is kicked off to verify the installation; if this process does not somehow agree that the software you are trying to update is unmodified (you can change minor things, but not the version, which is the big one), the authentication process returns an error and blocks the update.

With that being said, I have no visibility into this authentication process, and it's probably crossing some legal lines to start modifying it (if I can even get that far), so I'm halting efforts. Maybe someone with a bit more familiarity with the code will eventually step in, but since this is a low volume/specialty item, I don't see that happening
Paul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #27
P@ul
Apostle

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

Has anyone seen the new 2016 touchscreen unit? I'm curious about how that turned out, may just be a higher resolution screen.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #28
P@ul
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
Dang, I totally missed this! Thanks for sharing!