follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #183
ayoshioka1

Drives: 2019 BRZ / E36 325is
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
Lifespan - dependent on user and unit measurement. The CSG FLA has been available for about ~1.5 years right now, however, we've been testing/developing CSG Spec suspension systems for the past 7 for the BRZ/FR-S/86 application. Out of all the CSG Spec suspension products sold, only 4 have been through the servicing department thus far (all CSG SRC with around 3-4 years and a few dozen track days on top of that). 1 was due to a near totaled car with significant damage to the internals. It was serviced and now running again quite competitively for the past 2 years.

Servicing - TEIN USA is where CSG SRC and CSG FLA are serviced at. For CSG Spec valving or CSG Spec servicing, please contact us to work out the logistics.
glad servicing is done here in the US. Will definitely consider this setup in the future.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #184
Grim

Drives: 17 BRZ
Got mine this morning. Had the job done with spc lcas about 5 hours later, taking my time hanging out with friends.
I double checked the torque on the ring seat base and locking rings. They all met the spec.
I also double checked all the recommended measurements in the instructions, they were all set correctly to spec.
Set to 8/11 soft for harsh roads, rides great so far, about 1" to 1.5" drop I would guess, might go .5" lower, waiting to see if it settles.
Getting alignment tomorrow, going to go with OPs specs.
Very happy so far, thanks CSG!
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #185
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote from a facebook post.

Quote:
PS. In the training I run over a second faster (on official timing device) that existing track record in that class. The feel and abundance of grips are absolutely amazing. For many reasons I was not able to repeat during actual TimeAttack runs but never the less I feel super happy.
I think I noticed that the stock diff is not coping well with extra grip. I heard/ like a bad chatter and felt like rear wheels did not agree which is putting more power on the pavement. Weird.
Also initial settings on TFA were spot on. My adjustments made all worse, although I went in "soft" direction not "stiff" due to bumpiness of the track.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #186
Grim

Drives: 17 BRZ
I'm not sure I understand the last bit of that quote.
which adjustments were made by the op?
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #187
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
July/August 2019 batch sold out. Rough ETA for next order delivery is November 2019.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:28 PM   #188
Ryan GT86

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86
Is it okay if I lower the car by only an inch? The reference values are 1.6 inch for the front and 1.2 inch for the back.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:34 AM   #189
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan GT86 View Post
Is it okay if I lower the car by only an inch? The reference values are 1.6 inch for the front and 1.2 inch for the back.
Yes
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #190
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan GT86 View Post

thats what i did. i needed to be able to daily drive the car and not get stuck in potholes or in the snow
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #191
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,292 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBRZ View Post
i don't think you are supposed to use camber bolts on coilovers due to slippage but i am by far not an expert on these matters lol
Can someone please confirm if these coilovers allow using camber/crash bolts in top/lower holes for extra camber? I've seen a few folks on the thread mentioned they've done it, but don't know if it's recommended/discouraged to do so.

In case it matters, I have SPC Performance 81305 Camber Bolt in my OEM suspension, and plan to install CSG Spec Flex A's in the next few weeks.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #192
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Can someone please confirm if these coilovers allow using camber/crash bolts in top/lower holes for extra camber? I've seen a few folks on the thread mentioned they've done it, but don't know if it's recommended/discouraged to do so.

In case it matters, I have SPC Performance 81305 Camber Bolt in my OEM suspension, and plan to install CSG Spec Flex A's in the next few weeks.
Use "crash bolts" and dial camber via camber plate.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #193
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,292 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
Use "crash bolts" and dial camber via camber plate.
Thanks!
Will SPC Performance 81305 bolts work for this, or should I use the OEM Subaru Bolt #901000394 or some other part number?
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:21 AM   #194
Daemonomics

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ Limited PP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Full disclaimer: I am not employed by or am being paid by CSG to review this. This post simply expresses my opinion on my experience thus far.

Just got my CSG FLAs installed. They had been sitting for a while, but I finally got around to having them installed, and having my car re-aligned and corner balanced. Shout out to West End Alignment for their expert insight during the entire process! Man, does this make one hell of a difference. I have yet to run these on track but I'm really looking forward to testing these out soon! As an aside, they did lower the car approximately 1 inch. Car is more aesthetically pleasing but I do miss being able to take some driveways like I used to. Oh well!

I've only ever run the stock Sachs dampers that came with the '17 BRZ Performance Package prior to this. I would highly recommend running your stock dampers for a good while on the street and the track in order to get a feel for their characteristics first. Something that I immediately noticed upon QC road testing the car before finalizing the alignment, was that the ride quality was immediately improved. Out of the gate, the dampers were set to a square 12/12 F/R. Comfort setting, but super cushy on relatively rough California roads. I had read this thread's original post about how ride quality had improved but held my opinion until I had experienced it for myself, driving my own car.

However, ride quality wasn't the only thing that had improved. I may have had a small handful of short tests done personally. During a benchmark session, I did notice that the weight transfer had become much more controlled. This occurred at the 12/12 comfort setting, the 8/11 recommended street setting, as well as the stiff 5/5 setting. I was approaching this set of turns at roughly the same speed I did with my old dampers, but the tires weren't starting to scream at me like before the install. Not only that, but I as the driver felt confident enough to considering pushing more.

Now, I haven't done additional testing beyond this initial scope. However, I can safely say that these coilovers are truly confidence-inspiring. So much so, that I would say they could be a hindrance to driver development. But why would I say that, after having shared such a glowing review of my experience with these coilovers so far? The answer is actually fairly straightforward, and I partially hinted at it early on in this post. Remember the part where I mentioned you'd want to drive the car stock first? What's important is that you have a baseline, and understand the feeling of that baseline before you add parts to the car. I waited as long as I did to install the coilovers because I felt that I would benefit more from patiently building my understanding of the car's dynamics, stock. By the time I had the coilovers installed, I had a better feel for what I could look for, with the range of adjustment that the CSG FLA provides you. There's a lot of room to experiment, and I would have otherwise been overwhelmed and aimless if I had jumped straight into throwing them on my car.

In conclusion, these coilovers truly seem like the best bang for your buck right now. As far as I know, they're the only setup that improves ride quality over stock, as well as having been track tested and validated thoroughly. I've seen too many friends ruin their ride quality and performance by using cheapo lowering springs or coilovers. I would strongly advise towards saving up to do it the right way, one time. You can use these on a wide range of applications, from the street, to canyons, to track. You really can do it all, and without breaking the bank entirely on stuff like JRZs or above.
Daemonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daemonomics For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (08-27-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 05:10 PM   #195
Var

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Question for CounterSpace Garage:

You guys claim these coils will be adequate for a car with slicks and aero. I just did a track day with the dampers on 6/6 from full stiff with 200TW tires and it seemed like a pretty decent balance. But I just find it hard to believe it will handle an aero package and that much grip with just 6 more clicks to go...so how stiff would you run these things with the varis front splitter, canards with end plates, a GTC-200, and Nankang Ar-1. I imagine the car would be squatting like crazy at high speeds
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:11 AM   #196
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
Question for CounterSpace Garage:

You guys claim these coils will be adequate for a car with slicks and aero. I just did a track day with the dampers on 6/6 from full stiff with 200TW tires and it seemed like a pretty decent balance. But I just find it hard to believe it will handle an aero package and that much grip with just 6 more clicks to go...so how stiff would you run these things with the varis front splitter, canards with end plates, a GTC-200, and Nankang Ar-1. I imagine the car would be squatting like crazy at high speeds
Any bolt-on level of aero will not make enough downforce to bottom these out. If you have a well developed aero package making GT3 class levels of downforce, you'll need a different set of dampers, as this isn't designed for cars making that much downforce.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Var (09-03-2019)