follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #43
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here is a new sound clip with a straight pipe 2.75"/70mm Ebay special front pipe for $75.

So final setup is ACE 350 headers, 2.75 straight pipe, FactionFab TI catback. There are no other cats/resonators in this setup only sound suppression is coming from the catback.

Now pipe diameter is equal all the way through, no more bottlenecks at the donut flange many FP's use. Ace350 is shown to have gains with a larger FP. Smooth is Fast!

I think it sounds amazing and somewhat exotic in the high rpms. I will try to get an in cabin clip soon. This is a an ice cold 30 Degrees outside cold start as well

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxMv3lE3kM[/ame]
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #44
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Holy shit that’s loud haha
Old 12-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #45
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I don't have a good setup for driving videos but this should give an idea of the sound. Yes its loud but I love the tone. Cruising at 70 near the end of the clip its very sane.

Also keep in mind all my foam under carpet sound deadening is removed and I scraped out all the tar sound deadening.

Personally I love it and drive close to 100 miles a day on my daily work commute.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwRz6SjD-NA[/ame]
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:31 AM   #46
Skyehigh55

Drives: 2017 Pure Red BRZ w/ Perf Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Short Review

So after living with this catback for just under 2 months with the rest of the system stock, I can say that this thing is definitely on the louder side. I haven't been in other FT86's and this is my first aftermarket exhaust for this car, so I cannot attest to how severe it is compared to other catbacks but here's a short review.

Packaging was nothing stand out. Box didn't have a label on it but the components were packed nice and snug to prevent damage. The catback is a beauty with nice welds and of course that blue titanium burn. SuperTom already weighed everything, so need to repeat info. Installation was a breeze with such a light system. Fitment was spot on with a little poke to expose that beautiful blue titanium burn.

Photo of components:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9zxkrdh5xk/

Installation/fitment photos and stationary revs on last slide when catback was installed:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9zyio-BSbQ/

Onto the acoustics. There is a good amount of drone around the 2.5-3.5k mark upon acceleration or deceleration which many probably won't like since that's where the RPM for normal commuting is. Cold starts aren't the worst but it does shake the cabin with an audible plastic trim shaking somewhere that I have to isolate. Running up the gears from a stop and downshift rev matching does produce some bearable drone. To be frank, the only time you don't notice the catback is at a steady speed. When you're lead footing it in higher RPM's, it does sound somewhat exotic and different.

Highway cruising is actually totally fine with again, only some drone in accel and decel. I can still listen to music fine and carry a conversation with a passenger(rarely happens). You can definitely DD this system, I just wouldn't want to go straight piping it.

Video of only in-cabin driving around town at 4am with a small 3rd gear pull at 7:40:

For being full titanium, cutting a good 20lbs from the stock system AND being $1k on sale at the time(thanks FT86speedfactory), this exhaust was in my opinion the best bang for buck if you're trying to have a low weight build, keep symmetric aesthetics and won't break the bank. My future plan is to either go with the Apexi 4-2-1 header, overpipe and super catalyzer system or get a Gruppe-S/Tomei UEL with OFT and call it done for power mods.

If anyone has any questions or requests, I'll be glad to help.
Skyehigh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #47
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie View Post
If Tomei would build an dual-exit titanium CB, I would be the first in line. I have their UEL header and it's incredibly well built...
They already do

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:25 PM   #48
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
This Faction Fab exhaust probably the titanium exhausts I have come across on alibaba with high mark up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote