follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #29
slisgrinder

Drives:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You can get the A pillar pod although I cant remember who makes them. From the crash test videos I have seen there dont look to be any airbags in those pillars. The other spot is that passenger side dash. Also the cluster hood comes off but now sure how it affects visibility...

Sent fabulously from a fabulous phablet in the hands of a fabulously dressed phantom with a fabulous phone...which is a fabulous phablet.
slisgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slisgrinder For This Useful Post:
Quanye (05-16-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #30
Kirby64

Drives: Galaxy Blue BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Fizz, here's a pic of the setup under the hood:

I've got the brass T supplied by FBM as part of the turbo kit. It splits into the turbo oil feed, and a grease gun extension to relocate the pressure sensor as you can see in top right. I followed this guide loosely: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2301886

You can see the original oil pressure sender wire with the green wire. It's just hanging out and I zip-tied it out of the way.

@Basket Case, here's a pic of my setup:

There's a guy on Mazda forums called block8head (you can google him) who makes these custom pods. They're a bit expensive, but they replace the stock window defroster insert and look really OEM.
Kirby64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirby64 For This Useful Post:
Fizz (03-24-2015), Teclis (07-04-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #31
snidd111

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby64 View Post

I've got the brass T supplied by FBM as part of the turbo kit. It splits into the turbo oil feed, and a grease gun extension to relocate the pressure sensor as you can see in top right. I followed this guide loosely: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2301886

You can see the original oil pressure sender wire with the green wire. It's just hanging out and I zip-tied it out of the way.

There's a guy on Mazda forums called block8head (you can google him) who makes these custom pods. They're a bit expensive, but they replace the stock window defroster insert and look really OEM.
Could I get a pic of those gauges on? I'm looking at getting basically the exact same ones and have the same pod you do. I just haven't been able to decide if I can tolerate LEDs or if I want standard needles.
snidd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:42 PM   #32
Kirby64

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidd111 View Post
Could I get a pic of those gauges on? I'm looking at getting basically the exact same ones and have the same pod you do. I just haven't been able to decide if I can tolerate LEDs or if I want standard needles.
Took a video since I figured that'd be a decent way to show on vs. off. They're very comparable to stock dash lights, not bad at all. I have them setup to dim once you turn on the lights (or they turn on from auto lights) so they dim appropriately. Unfortunately there's not a nice way to dim them more if you like dash lights to be very very dim... only the AEM gauge has that. The innovate gauge is basically on-off dimming from what I can tell.

Video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjaIbXvOZDA"]Gauges brightness - YouTube[/ame]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirby64 For This Useful Post:
snidd111 (06-21-2015), Teclis (07-04-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 05:12 AM   #33
Teclis
Marine Electrician

Drives: Toyota TRD86, 2014
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby64 View Post

Where did you connect the innovate gauge for power and dimming?
And what size is needed for the fittings?
Going to get the innovate temp & pressure gauge too, and this look like a great idea to put the big pressure sensor also where did you put the temp sensor for the innovate gauge?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #34
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I would also like to add an oil pressure gauge. Exactly how do you connect it on the engine side? What sort/size of adapter do you need to connect it to where the stock pressure sensor is , and were do you buy the parts?
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #35
Kirby64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teclis View Post
Where did you connect the innovate gauge for power and dimming?
And what size is needed for the fittings?
Going to get the innovate temp & pressure gauge too, and this look like a great idea to put the big pressure sensor also where did you put the temp sensor for the innovate gauge?

Temp sensor went onto the top galley plug. You'll need the galley plug adapter to do that one, here's the part #: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Suba...il-Galley-Plug

The pressure sensor I literally followed the tutorial linked exactly. Keep in mind, I had mine off a 90 degree brass tee with my FBM kit. Not sure if it mates properly to the block. I believe the thread is BSP and the innovate gauge is NPT (or visa-versa) so you want to be careful you don't crossmate them. You may need an adapter.

Dimming I pulled off the head unit wiring harness. There's a few spots, but that one worked for me. I wired the innovate and the AEM to the same tap.

See this topic: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=16

For power there's a bunch of options, I don't remember where I wired mine in to.

Hope that helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirby64 For This Useful Post:
Teclis (07-06-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #36
Teclis
Marine Electrician

Quick question, can a male bspt be used in a female npt?
Or do I need to get adapters, I have searched around but get mixed answers..
And ofc I will use teflon tape..
Old 07-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #37
snidd111

@Teclis

check this out for power: http://theattack.rallysportdirect.co...r-ssubaru-brz/

That's what I did and it's so much easier than tapping over at the ECU like a different wiring diagram I found suggested. I had to run the cables around 6" since they were mounted over the defroster vent rather than the width of the car.

Also, instead of using a galley plug and disconnecting the stock pressure sensor, I went with a Mishimoto sandwich plate. It was on Amazon for less than $30. My goal was to keep things all together.

The Following User Says Thank You to snidd111 For This Useful Post:
Teclis (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #38
Teclis
Marine Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidd111 View Post
@Teclis

check this out for power: http://theattack.rallysportdirect.co...r-ssubaru-brz/

That's what I did and it's so much easier than tapping over at the ECU like a different wiring diagram I found suggested. I had to run the cables around 6" since they were mounted over the defroster vent rather than the width of the car.

Also, instead of using a galley plug and disconnecting the stock pressure sensor, I went with a Mishimoto sandwich plate. It was on Amazon for less than $30. My goal was to keep things all together.
Thanks man! I'll check that out now!
And I was thinking about using the relocating kit to the gally plug and connect the pressure sensor to that, so I'll keep stock pressure sensor too.. and then have the temp sensor connected to the mishimoto oil cooler housing, after that got 2 1/8 npt spots to put sensors

But did you connect both sensors to that housing? any adapters needed?
What gauge are you using?
Old 07-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #39
snidd111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teclis View Post
Thanks man! I'll check that out now!
And I was thinking about using the relocating kit to the gally plug and connect the pressure sensor to that, so I'll keep stock pressure sensor too.. and then have the temp sensor connected to the mishimoto oil cooler housing, after that got 2 1/8 npt spots to put sensors

But did you connect both sensors to that housing? any adapters needed?
What gauge are you using?
Everything from the Innovate gauge fits like a charm with the Mishimoto sandwich plate. No adapters, just some thread tape. It has 3 bungs so I still have a spare although I can't think of a reason I'd need it. It's meant to be able to hook up to a custom built oil cooler kit and have a sensor.

You could just use your oil cooler housing, but remember the wires will all have to be run that length as well. I'd recommend some loom to keep it safe and tidy.

I have the pressure sensor in the back so that it's out of the way and the temp sensor towards the back as well. that way the oil fill tube could still be accessed easily. I didn't want to have the sensors both facing the front of the car cause that would look ugly and have wires where a forced induction kit would usually put some equipment.

I have the Innovate gauge for oil temp and pressure and the Defi gauge for boost. I also have the P3Cars gauge for a bunch of stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snidd111 For This Useful Post:
gdrider77 (08-07-2015), Teclis (07-09-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #40
snidd111

@Teclis
Hey I just thought I'd mention that the Innovate gauge really doesn't dim all that much. It does dim to be sure. But I wouldn't say it gets half as bright exactly. The Defi on the other hand dims a whole lot.

I don't think it's too bright at night. It's just a personal preference. And I needed 3 gauges within 2 pods. It was the best option I could find.
The Following User Says Thank You to snidd111 For This Useful Post:
Teclis (07-12-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 04:14 AM   #41
pepe

Drives: gt86
Could you tell me kind of pins shown in photograph number 16 of http://theattack.rallysportdirect.co.../#comment-4288.
"Once the screws are out, the lower panel should pop out with a bit of force. Remember to disconnect the harnesses going to the headlight level switch and cluster dim switch."
I want to search harness jumper pins in order to make the most secure connection. Thank you
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepe For This Useful Post:
mxm64 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #42
surfdontswim

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Anyone know the size of the Torx socket in galley plug oil pressure port?
surfdontswim is offline   Reply With Quote