follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
halujeddo

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Dyno testing project: Different fuels and different tunes on same car

Hi everyone,

As a final project of my masters degree (automotive engineering) i am going to some dyno tests with my BRZ.

I am gonna test these on dyno:

- RON95 with stock tune
- RON95 with stg1 tune
- RON95 + 10% Ethanol (E10) with stock tune
- RON95 + 10% Ethanol (E10) with stg1 tune
- RON95 + 20% Ethanol (E20) with stg1 tune
- RON95 + 85% Ethanol (E85) with E85 tune

I need help about 2 things.

1. How can I drain fuel out of tank easily? Because I am gonna need to drain fuel in the tank and put new mixture. Or any suggestions for this?

2. We all know after flashing a tune, first 50 miles is just learning for ECU. What is the procedure of dyno'ing a new tune? How can I flash and dyno?

Thanks in front
halujeddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halujeddo View Post
1. How can I drain fuel out of tank easily? Because I am gonna need to drain fuel in the tank and put new mixture. Or any suggestions for this?
Do you need to drain? If you're adding ethanol then you could just calculate the required amount to add and top up the tank. Much easier.
Quote:
2. We all know after flashing a tune, first 50 miles is just learning for ECU. What is the procedure of dyno'ing a new tune? How can I flash and dyno?
If you're flashing a tune, make sure that you have a well dialed in MAF/injector setup for the changes in ethanol and set the IAM to 1 and there is no learning required. Just flash and go. With the stock tune, just change the IAM to 1 or if the 95 RON and the IAM is regularly below 1 you can reduce the advance table by the required amount and set the IAM to 1.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
QTR FMS

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hi everyone,

As a final project of my masters degree (automotive engineering) i am going to some dyno tests with my BRZ.

I am gonna test these on dyno:

- RON95 with stock tune
- RON95 with stg1 tune
- RON95 + 10% Ethanol (E10) with stock tune
- RON95 + 10% Ethanol (E10) with stg1 tune
- RON95 + 20% Ethanol (E20) with stg1 tune
- RON95 + 85% Ethanol (E85) with E85 tune

I need help about 2 things.

Thanks in front

you dont need to drain it start with almost empty tank add 10% ethanol then add full tank of e85
there is some excel spread sheet online that does the math on how much ethanol you need to add to get your desired percentage,

or you could pull one of the fuel line i think the fastest way is to pull the feed line you can do return too i think it would be slower maybe idk and turn ignition on to turn the fuel pump on

or even better run 1 gallon fuel tank in the engine bay this way you only need to drain one gallon each run if you want to redo your project if you got wrong data,
i mean you shouldnt really use canned tune for research i think you should do your own tune and see how much change in air fuel ratio and fuel demand and how much direct injector angle and cam timing and ignition timing changes i feel this would make your study more about the engine than the tune
QTR FMS is offline   Reply With Quote