follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
What's the actual weight of the stock hood?

A dry carbon fiber hood would also be more money than stock, correct? Half the weight? I have seen 2 lbs being claimed but not half the weight.

I don't remember the exact weight on the stock hood but it was somewhere between 14-15 pounds. The MPH hood weighs 8.5 pounds. A dry hood from Seibon weighs like 11.5 pounds. Yes, a CF hood is more expensive than the OEM, I would guess.

I'm not the hood expert. I just always hear people go "Don't buy a CF hood it's heavier than stock" because everytime someone says "CF hood" they're thinking of stuff that's got a carbon fiber veneer on it like Seibon's typical quality or stuff from Vis Racing or similar. Any /actual/ fully carbon fiber hood is going to weigh less than the oem hood, even if the person making it was dropped on their head as a child multiple times.

An MPH hood is $1375 with a titanium striker and is probably better than anything else available to you in the US/CA market. If you can buy from Japan, there's lots of good options from Amuse Powerhouse (7lbs), Esprit (???lbs), and Varis Racing (10.5lbs). But those are all $$$$$ in the US and the MPH stuff is as good or better.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-18-2018), why? (10-17-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #16
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I don't remember the exact weight on the stock hood but it was somewhere between 14-15 pounds. The MPH hood weighs 8.5 pounds. A dry hood from Seibon weighs like 11.5 pounds. Yes, a CF hood is more expensive than the OEM, I would guess.

I'm not the hood expert. I just always hear people go "Don't buy a CF hood it's heavier than stock" because everytime someone says "CF hood" they're thinking of stuff that's got a carbon fiber veneer on it like Seibon's typical quality or stuff from Vis Racing or similar. Any /actual/ fully carbon fiber hood is going to weigh less than the oem hood, even if the person making it was dropped on their head as a child multiple times.

An MPH hood is $1375 with a titanium striker and is probably better than anything else available to you in the US/CA market. If you can buy from Japan, there's lots of good options from Amuse Powerhouse (7lbs), Esprit (???lbs), and Varis Racing (10.5lbs). But those are all $$$$$ in the US and the MPH stuff is as good or better.
So for quality parts you're into it for almost triple the cost of an OEM hood by the time its painted and fitted. Dude has an insurance claim. I'm going to hazard a guess and think he wants to stay with a stock hood.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
why? (10-17-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #17
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So for quality parts you're into it for almost triple the cost of an OEM hood by the time its painted and fitted. Dude has an insurance claim. I'm going to hazard a guess and think he wants to stay with a stock hood.

Probably. I'm not encouraging him to buy a CF hood. I'm just responding to all the people in the thread saying CF hoods are heavier than OEM, because it's not true if you buy decent CF.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (10-16-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 01:31 AM   #18
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I thought most available CF hoods weigh more than the stock one for this car.
Quote:
Most available CF hoods are also crap. If you buy something decent, that's actually proper dry carbon fiber construction, it will be about half the weight of the OEM hood. MPH has very nice hoods for our platform, and even Seibon makes a dry hood which is lighter than OEM, but only in one design.
And they aren't really cf, they are fiberglass with a cf overlay. Total garbage. MPH has some great stuff, and he has publicly stated he can make it lighter.

Quote:
What's the actual weight of the stock hood?

A dry carbon fiber hood would also be more money than stock, correct? Half the weight? I have seen 2 lbs being claimed but not half the weight.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Probably. I'm not encouraging him to buy a CF hood. I'm just responding to all the people in the thread saying CF hoods are heavier than OEM, because it's not true if you buy decent CF.
If you think you are going to get a nice large check from an insurance company, might as well think of upgrading. A few phone calls to MPH and local body shops to see how much it really would be to get a good cf hood painted and on the car cannot hurt.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #19
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
or you do the intelligent think and paint it, that way it is lighter, better, and only those with a brain notice it.
I would venture to guess that somewhere north of 90% of the people who put carbon fiber hoods on their cars wouldn't want to paint them, because then who would know they were hella JDM yo?

After all, why spend all that money if nobody knows you spent it?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #20
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
OEM hood is already light as a feather.
Time and money better spent learning how to drive.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #21
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
OEM hood is already light as a feather.
Time and money better spent learning how to drive.
it is most certainly not light as a feather, it is an aluminum hood.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #22
Laz84

Drives: 2014 BRZ, 1991 Prelude Si 4WS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
just an update. I requested the body shop i went to to order a brand new OEM hood. They color matched the WRB and blended the front fenders as well. Looks like it never happened.
Laz84 is offline   Reply With Quote