follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #29
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
The shops that do the inspections won't even start the process if the light is on.
Probably because they know that you don't know it's not a failing issue, and by "refusing" to start the inspection they can get you to pay them to fix the TPMS issue. I bet they make quite a bit of money that way.

Quote:
Most tire shops charge an additional $20 to as much as $40 per wheel to transfer the sensors because they say you need a new sticker kit or whatever it's called because the glue goes bad and it takes time to do it so nobody does it for their winter setup.
Huh. Imagine that. They tell you they won't inspect the vehicle, then offer to make your vehicle "roadworthy" for only $160.

Quote:
They also won't put wheels on a car that is supposed to have sensors if they're not installed.
Well, I did a little research on that. It has nothing to do with passing NY state inspections. It has to do with the "make inoperative" clause in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act. That act says that a service technician is not allowed to make any safety features of the vehicle inoperative, and that includes removing TPMS sensors or disabling the TPMS light.

The act doesn't say YOU can't make it inoperative, only dealers and technicians. Seems like there are plenty of ways around that, so I figure it's a non-issue with respect to whether you'll pass inspection.

Quote:
I have no idea about stored codes but have been told by numerous shops that it shows up when they plug in.
Aren't these the same shops that want you to pay them to replace those same TPMS modules this mysterious code says need to be replaced?

I'm not in a situation where I can call right now, so I put an email in to the NY DMV's "Ask a Question" page to get them to clarify whether the TPMS light will cause you to fail. They're supposed to respond within five days. If I don't see a response by tomorrow I'll give them a call and ask.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #30
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Probably because they know that you don't know it's not a failing issue, and by "refusing" to start the inspection they can get you to pay them to fix the TPMS issue. I bet they make quite a bit of money that way.

Huh. Imagine that. They tell you they won't inspect the vehicle, then offer to make your vehicle "roadworthy" for only $160.
Yeah pretty typical MO, this is no good that's no good it's going to be $1200 blah blah.

Quote:
Well, I did a little research on that. It has nothing to do with passing NY state inspections. It has to do with the "make inoperative" clause in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act. That act says that a service technician is not allowed to make any safety features of the vehicle inoperative, and that includes removing TPMS sensors or disabling the TPMS light.

The act doesn't say YOU can't make it inoperative, only dealers and technicians. Seems like there are plenty of ways around that, so I figure it's a non-issue with respect to whether you'll pass inspection.

Aren't these the same shops that want you to pay them to replace those same TPMS modules this mysterious code says need to be replaced?
I solve the problem by doing my own wheel swaps and swapping the 3 season wheels back on myself and going in for inspection with those on. There's a shop not far from me that advertises that they have a cloning machine so you can put sensors in a second set of wheels so this isn't a problem but I can't justify the expense of 4 sensors, installation and cloning for winter wheels that are only on the car for a few months a year.

Quote:
I'm not in a situation where I can call right now, so I put an email in to the NY DMV's "Ask a Question" page to get them to clarify whether the TPMS light will cause you to fail. They're supposed to respond within five days. If I don't see a response by tomorrow I'll give them a call and ask.
Cool thanks. I never thought of it as being a big enough issue to follow through on doing that. I'm curious to hear the real answer.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #31
extrashaky

I got a response back pretty quick. Here it is:
Response By Email (REP-3) (11/08/2017 11:36 AM)
Dear Customer,

Please call 518-402-2567
Monday thru Friday 8 AM till 4 PM, for assistance with this matter.
Thank You,
LW
What the hell is the purpose of the "Ask a Question" feature on their website if the answer is to call them instead?
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #32
extrashaky

Quote:
I'm curious to hear the real answer.
I sent them the same question through their Facebook page and finally received a real answer:
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles Tire pressure monitoring systems are NOT an element to determine pass/fail for the safety inspection. You may want to check with the inspection station first to make sure they understand that.
LOL at that second sentence.

The inspections are such a scam. It may have changed since I lived in Brooklyn in the 90s, but back then the way it worked was that if you failed your inspection, you had to get it fixed and try again. However, if you spent at least $1200 on repairs and still didn't pass, you'd get an exemption and pass anyway.

So all the folks in the neighborhood would take their beaters that had no chance of passing to the Russian garages that would sell them an inspection for considerably less than the limit. Maybe they'd pay $200 or $300 to pass the inspection, but the garage would write up $1200 in "repairs" it had done to make the car "safe."

If their books say they did $1200 in work, but they only actually collected $200, where'd the rest come from? Gang activity. They were laundering money for the Russian mob. Your $200 inspection sticker laundered $1000 from whores, drugs, guns and gambling. And it was all done under the color of authority of the state through its inspection program.

Of course, if you didn't know about this, they'd go ahead and charge you $1200 instead and maybe put a new muffler on and declare you safe. Either way the inspection program was abused.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (11-09-2017), Tcoat (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #33
Scotty2Hotty

Drives: nuthin'
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So the compatibility chart on the ATEQ website hasn't been updated in a year. Can anyone confirm the tool works with 2017 BRZs?
Scotty2Hotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #34
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
So the compatibility chart on the ATEQ website hasn't been updated in a year. Can anyone confirm the tool works with 2017 BRZs?
I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. The TPMS system should be the same. At the very least it's still using the same part number for the sensors. Personally, I'd risk it.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #35
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
The inspections are such a scam.
Welcome to America, where the rights of states (to do whatever they want that isn't listed in the Constitution) results in an incoherent system of laws and inspections for things like cars, personal finance, guns, schools, and other stuff.

I know California sucks but at least there's no bullshit car inspection like what people in the NE has.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #36
rande

Drives: Spyder, MR2, FRS, Tundra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Since TPMS is on every car moving forward, you can consider investing in a reset tool if you have 2 sets of wheels you constantly swap between.

https://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-QuickSet...dp/B008SCWXN4/

Or invest in this with family/friends and it is good almost forever. You just program the TPMS numbers off the sensor and reprogram your ECU.
It's also at TireRack. Currently for $10 cheaper.
https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/detail...&cat=TPMS+Tool
rande is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rande For This Useful Post:
Scotty2Hotty (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 PM   #37
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I sent them the same question through their Facebook page and finally received a real answer:
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles Tire pressure monitoring systems are NOT an element to determine pass/fail for the safety inspection. You may want to check with the inspection station first to make sure they understand that.
LOL at that second sentence.
Well that would certainly save the hassle of swapping my wheels in the driveway in the winter. Thanks for making that effort.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #38
Scotty2Hotty

Drives: nuthin'
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
Just in case anyone finds this thread later - I emailed the company, and they confirmed it works with the 2017 BRZ.
Scotty2Hotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotty2Hotty For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (11-11-2017), Tcoat (11-11-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 02:30 AM   #39
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA"]Office Space TPS Reports - YouTube[/ame]

TPS reports. I have no idea what a TPMS is. Same as a TPS report for me.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #40
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
I have no idea what a TPMS is.
Here you go: What is TPMS?