follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #155
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildjs View Post
STI...Where the Fk is the turbo? What a let down.
lawlz. newbs gunna noob.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #156
Guildjs

Drives: 240sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
yeah I am new. Please explain something to me instead of the typical "lol newb" bs .
Guildjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #157
SpeedyJay

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
^lol

Clearly
SpeedyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #158
wlwarfield
VTECLOL

Drives: 2011 STi & 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
<- that's how noobies make me feel.
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STi sedan
2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
wlwarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #159
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
STI...Where the Fk is the turbo? What a let down.
We don't serve your kind here.
Name:  BRZerhood_Seagull_turbo.png
Views: 1061
Size:  14.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allch Chcar For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #160
Guildjs

I really don't get it guys. Ok yeah I don't know whats going on with these cars yet but instead of actually put some info all you guys say is" oh newb lol". We are on, at least I am, this forum for info not to get in little 15 year old pissing matches. Grow up kids, you are making this forum look like 2004 racing forums where everyone just talked shit and no info was exchanged.

Now seriously, why didn't they put a turbo motor in the brz like they did for the impreza?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guildjs For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (10-28-2013), Snoopyalien24 (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #161
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I really don't get it guys. Ok yeah I don't know whats going on with these cars yet but instead of actually put some info all you guys say is" oh newb lol". We are on, at least I am, this forum for info not to get in little 15 year old pissing matches. Grow up kids, you are making this forum look like 2004 racing forums where everyone just talked shit and no info was exchanged.

Now seriously, why didn't they put a turbo motor in the brz like they did for the impreza?
Haha we're just messing with you, we're not that violent. Toyota (head of the FRS/BRZ project) clearly stated they did not want turbo on the D4-S. The car is a blank canvas and uses the same formula as the oh so successful Miata and the KA engines of the 240sx. Immediate throttle response, and a small 4 cyl with high output and potential. 100hp/L is what makes these engines special and the fact that both the engine bay is huge and the chassis is very strong, well you're a 240 guy (me too) so you can figure the rest.

Welcome to the forum!
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snoopyalien24 For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (10-28-2013), chanomatik (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #162
Guildjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
Haha we're just messing with you, we're not that violent. Toyota (head of the FRS/BRZ project) clearly stated they did not want turbo on the D4-S. The car is a blank canvas and uses the same formula as the oh so successful Miata and the KA engines of the 240sx. Immediate throttle response, and a small 4 cyl with high output and potential. 100hp/L is what makes these engines special and the fact that both the engine bay is huge and the chassis is very strong, well you're a 240 guy (me too) so you can figure the rest.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks. It was just getting annoying.

Yeah coming from 240s these are just alike. Sucks though I would think they would put the turbo motor in and charge another 5k and it would be worth it to Toyota and Subaru.

Can't wait to LS this car and get some power.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #163
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks. It was just getting annoying.

Yeah coming from 240s these are just alike. Sucks though I would think they would put the turbo motor in and charge another 5k and it would be worth it to Toyota and Subaru.

Can't wait to LS this car and get some power.
Probably because it would actually cost more than 5k per car to put in a turbo

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #164
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Nah, actually it is not. The state of the FT86 ecu, the power to produce turbo and supportive mods are relatively cheap for a giant Toyota to do.

It is more likely of the initial contract.

Tada San said that the 2015 FRS would be bored out to 2.5 and bump the HP to 250 hp 195 torque or so.

Tada san said that there are so many developments going on, such as hybrid R system with super capacitors, turbo, weight shaving...but he is likely to go the 2.5l. Why ? He said. Because it is Darn cheap to do so with minimal side effects, and it gives the car the power everyone craves for

Waiting, and waiting still, also stuffing my pocket as well.
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #165
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
Nah, actually it is not. The state of the FT86 ecu, the power to produce turbo and supportive mods are relatively cheap for a giant Toyota to do.

Tada San said that the 2015 FRS would be bored out to 2.5 and bump the HP to 250 hp 195 torque or so.

Tada san said that there are so many developments going on, such as hybrid R system with super capacitors, turbo, weight shaving...but he is likely to go the 2.5l. Why ? He said. Because it is Darn cheap to do so with minimal side effects, and it gives the car the power everyone craves for

Most probable, but for sure - there is no chance (maybe .01%) that Tada decides to put in a turbo in the Twins. Maybe after the contract between Subi and Toyota finish, Subi will make a similar car with the Impreza engine, IF Subaru doesn't already go with the plans to seperate the Impreza from the WRX/STI trim.
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #166
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post

Actually it isn't cheap. I'm going to assume you haven't worked in an operations environment. A lot of people probably think that it's just as simple as getting the parts, bolting it on, and calling it a day, but theres a significant amount of ancillary costs that the majority of people outside of product development and manufacturing never consider. One major factor is regulations; having to not only ensure the vehicle meets safety and emissions standards in multiple markets, but even submissions to obtain approval can be costly (same reason why the TRD intake, which is CARB legal, is more expensive than Greddy, etc.). Then take into account service, maintenance, warranty, and reliability costs, especially for a major corporation that does business all around the world and has high exposure. From product development all the way to production, there's DVT, process validations, aging, process improvement costs, labor, overhead, materials, re-tooling, supplier costs, import/export costs; the list goes on.

As far as boring out the engine versus a turbo, yes I agree that the former is more cost-effective. Part of is because its mostly a process improvement rather than a design change, which makes it far faster and easier to bring to market.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
brz_star21 (10-29-2013), chanomatik (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #167
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

You make a childish comment whining about the lack of boost but then get upset that people rag on you like a kid, do you wonder why? This isnt even the STI version if you are still confused about that... req'd reading.

They didnt introduce the car with FI because they knew they would make $$$$ from its popular initial release, and boy were they right! Once they want to gain more notoriety among their future/upcoming competition they will both release more powerful versions of the car.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #168
Guildjs

Makes sense to make it a 2.5 and put more power to the ground in 2015. the car so popular already they don't need help selling it.

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums