follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #99
ASSALBERT

Drives: DC5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Have you actually been on our springs for BRZ/FRS? They are not bouncy. And of course we don't manufacture our springs ourselves...Myles is not in the back bending steel with his bare hands. We're a small company that focuses on a niche market for a couple of cars. So we have the springs produced to our specs by one of the top 3 spring manufacturers in the world using state of the art equipment. Swifts spring material is really good and we sell and use them all the time. There is no magic pixie dust in them though...they're just good, consistent, light springs.

- andrew
Andrew, i was just stating the reason why i'd prefer the swift springs. I guess you can say that im a bit biased, but after trying Eibach ERS and Hyperco on my cars, I truly believe the Swift makes one of the best springs money can buy. Lol I wouldnt have made that claim if I have never tried them. An acquaintance of mine (friend of a friend) has the yellows on his car and driving his car was the first time i got the chance at driving a lowered frs. Fast forward many months, my buddy picked up a set of swifts and we test drove both cars back to back, the Swifts sit a little lower than the Yellows but the difference in ride quality was pretty significant in our opinions. Im not saying that the Yellows are harsh, but you can definitely tell than the springrate is higher than stock during normal driving. As far as performance goes, havent gotten a chance to track either of these cars so cant say anything there.
ASSALBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #100
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSALBERT View Post
Andrew, i was just stating the reason why i'd prefer the swift springs. I guess you can say that im a bit biased, but after trying Eibach ERS and Hyperco on my cars, I truly believe the Swift makes one of the best springs money can buy. Lol I wouldnt have made that claim if I have never tried them. An acquaintance of mine (friend of a friend) has the yellows on his car and driving his car was the first time i got the chance at driving a lowered frs. Fast forward many months, my buddy picked up a set of swifts and we test drove both cars back to back, the Swifts sit a little lower than the Yellows but the difference in ride quality was pretty significant in our opinions. Im not saying that the Yellows are harsh, but you can definitely tell than the springrate is higher than stock during normal driving. As far as performance goes, havent gotten a chance to track either of these cars so cant say anything there.

Why?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #101
enjoyminutemaid

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited WRB Manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSALBERT View Post
Well, it makes sense that the RCE springs would feel stiffer than the Swift springs because they are, significantly stiffer, in the front at least.
enjoyminutemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #102
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyminutemaid View Post
Well, it makes sense that the RCE springs would feel stiffer than the Swift springs because they are, significantly stiffer, in the front at least.
Yup.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #103
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrazn View Post
I have the alignment sheet, ill scan it and pm you the results. There is a little bit of negative camber in the rear but honestly its not that bad. In terms of feel? Its almost like stock but not as bouncy. I plan on getting bigger wheels soon so i may get a camber arm but thats still something im considering. The drop at least for me is good enough. So all in all if you wanted to keep the suspension almost the same but eliminate some of the wheel gap, its good. I personally like it better now than how the stock springs feel, but thats just me.

thanks MRAZ- that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I want a slight drop without looking all ricey and sacrificing ride quality -- and I love the stock feel so I don't want to veer too far from stock - just would be nice to fill in the gap after my recent wheel upgrade -- Im going to maybe pull the trigger on this nxt wk. re-read the reviews and that's what I hear from a lot of people.

so they say its a .9" drop all the way around - is that pretty much what to expect ?

with that much drop - I would think there is no way anything would scrape -- I hear these scrape issues with other products and that just scares me ....

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #104
bpracer

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post
thanks MRAZ- that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I want a slight drop without looking all ricey and sacrificing ride quality -- and I love the stock feel so I don't want to veer too far from stock - just would be nice to fill in the gap after my recent wheel upgrade -- Im going to maybe pull the trigger on this nxt wk. re-read the reviews and that's what I hear from a lot of people.

so they say its a .9" drop all the way around - is that pretty much what to expect ?

with that much drop - I would think there is no way anything would scrape -- I hear these scrape issues with other products and that just scares me ....
This was posted early by another member but this is my car in the link. You will get about 1" drop.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showt...7516#post57516

I don't think you can go wrong with the Swift "BRZ" or the Racecomps of the springs that are out there now.

For the street, I think what I really want in a spring is about 3.6Fr/3.8Rr .7" drop. At 1" rear drop, I have -2.2 degree rear camber even with upper control bushings installed. That is a bit more than I want for street and a bit less drop in the rear will help.

If the STI "pink" springs are near these values, I will swap out the Swifts. Since the pink springs are sold separately, I could just swap the rears...

I wish somebody would post the rates of the STI springs...
Ducati 848
bpracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #105
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpracer View Post
This was posted early by another member but this is my car in the link. You will get about 1" drop.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showt...7516#post57516

I don't think you can go wrong with the Swift "BRZ" or the Racecomps of the springs that are out there now.

For the street, I think what I really want in a spring is about 3.6Fr/3.8Rr .7" drop. At 1" rear drop, I have -2.2 degree rear camber even with upper control bushings installed. That is a bit more than I want for street and a bit less drop in the rear will help.

If the STI "pink" springs are near these values, I will swap out the Swifts. Since the pink springs are sold separately, I could just swap the rears...

I wish somebody would post the rates of the STI springs...
If you ever swap the swifts out even if just the rear let me know first please and i'll take them off your hands.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #106
hamlet

Drives: blue brz, silver R8 5.2, orange s2K
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just installed a set of the 'brz' spec springs on mine. Haven't yet done alignment.

Driving impressions: essentially like stock, maybe slightly less bouncy and smoother (yes, more comfortable than stock, im shocked). Girlfriend says 'i can't tell the difference'. Haven't really pushed them hard so I can't tell you how performance is affected. Looks- 1inch lower all around just seems to make the car look 'right' like how it should be from the factory. Does NOT look slammed at all
hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #107
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrazn View Post
I have the alignment sheet, ill scan it and pm you the results. There is a little bit of negative camber in the rear but honestly its not that bad. In terms of feel? Its almost like stock but not as bouncy. I plan on getting bigger wheels soon so i may get a camber arm but thats still something im considering. The drop at least for me is good enough. So all in all if you wanted to keep the suspension almost the same but eliminate some of the wheel gap, its good. I personally like it better now than how the stock springs feel, but thats just me.
did you get the alignment at evasive also - just wondering why it would still have negative camber - or is that normal ? or is that bad for the tire wear? I know a lot of times the racers want that but for a dd .. I wonder how that would affect it.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #108
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Garage
just got mine yesterday. Thanks EVASIVE for hooking me up.

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #109
Supersonics

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
FYI: I emailed Swift Springs USA and they told me the Spec-R springs should be coming out within a couple months so anyone interested in swifts may want to wait.
Supersonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #110
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonics View Post
FYI: I emailed Swift Springs USA and they told me the Spec-R springs should be coming out within a couple months so anyone interested in swifts may want to wait.
Had spec r's in my sti. I know that's completely apples to oranges but I certainly want to see the specs on what they offer for the BRZ.

When it comes down to it there is no spring that handles the best. Everyone has preferences and driving styles. I prefer a car with a heavier rear rate and that tends to be what swift offers. I've also had yellows on my sti and will vouch that the quality is top notch not to mention the customer service is more then top notch from the RCE camp.
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #111
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
anyone have any pics with these installed? other reviews?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #112
whitejdm

Drives: BRZ prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
getting mine installed this weekend but won't have impressions until the summer tires are on and I can do some real driving haha.
whitejdm is offline   Reply With Quote