follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #43
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I think you may be right about the aftermarket parts though. If you read through the Subaru instructions (did not review Toyota) on page 3 it says:

So at minimum it would appear that Subaru may be willing to pay for the workaround if it's reasonable.
Thank you a thousand times for this.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #44
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
It's not going to take an hour to remove the edelbrock SC and return to stock. That's going to take about 6 hours.

My dealer refused to take the car unless it had been returned to stock. Contacted Subaru USA and after a week or so of back and forth they agreed with the dealer. They also refused to help in any way to cover the cost of SC removal and return to stock.

So, I have not done the recall so far.
They don't have to take it off to return it to stock. Read the instructions linked above, nowhere in any of Subaru's documentation does it state the vehicle must be in stock form. It actually says the exact opposite.

They have to work around and accommodate the mods. It may take an extra 30 minutes to remove the SC as it would to remove the stock intake manifold. SOA would approve this extra time. The dealer just has to call them to get it approved. They'd rather you pay it because you pay full rate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
shiumai (03-04-2019), sroby (05-11-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #45
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
They don't have to take it off to return it to stock. Read the instructions linked above, nowhere in any of Subaru's documentation does it state the vehicle must be in stock form. It actually says the exact opposite.

They have to work around and accommodate the mods. It may take an extra 30 minutes to remove the SC as it would to remove the stock intake manifold. SOA would approve this extra time. The dealer just has to call them to get it approved. They'd rather you pay it because you pay full rate.

The service manager doesn't want to deal with re-installing the supercharger; hence will not take the car unless it's returned to stock, and will not warranty the work because of the aftermarket parts. I do see his point - if something goes wrong after the recall work is done, I'm going to point the finger to his work, and he's going to point the finger to the mods. After seeing the thread with people having problems after the recall work was done, I'm not planning on getting it done unless I'm forced to, in order to register my vehicle next year.

I've read the instructions, and spoke several times to the service manager, and Subaru. I do hope you're right and I'll wait to see how your case goes.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #46
1stGenBRZ86

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
I hear you. The shop that built my engine and installed my kit quoted me upwards of 20-25 hours to do the job. They basically told me if it was their car they didn't think it was worth 4-5k (CAD$) of preventative maintenance for a possible valve spring fault that may or may not wreck the engine if it breaks.

I don't know if I trust a dealership messing with my engine either since its so heavily modified.

I'm in a bit of a pickle but I almost think I'm just going to roll the dice on this one...

Anyone else feeling this way or am I silly to gamble on this.
if your motor is built, why do you have to do the recall? I'd assume if you have aftermarket valve springs, this wont be an issue. but i'm in the same boat as you...this recall came out about a month or two after I swapped my blown motor for another '13 motor (i'm turbocharged). I will also be rolling the dice...worst case, I'll build my original heads
1stGenBRZ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #47
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
The service manager doesn't want to deal with re-installing the supercharger;....
Sounds like you need to find a new dealer, not only for service, but for future purchases.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 03-05-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-08-2019), shiumai (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #48
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

I have obtained a copy of an email from a Subaru district manager confirming they they are working against the spirit of the agreement Subaru entered into with the NHTSA. How could these items be a "substantial safety concern"if they previously offered a quote for uninstalling and reinstalling them??

Keep digging that hole Subaru, this email will get tacked on to my already open NHTSA investigation.

Last edited by xjohnx; 03-05-2019 at 12:24 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-08-2019), Dadhawk (03-05-2019), shiumai (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #49
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
[quote=Dadhawk;3192302]
Quote:
The service manager doesn't want to deal with re-installing the supercharger;....QUOTE]

Sounds like you need to find a new dealer, not only for service, but for future purchases.

I bought the car from another dealer. Trouble is, it's quite far away while this one is about a mile from my house. Up until this matter, the closer dealership has always been pretty good with service.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #50
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenBRZ86 View Post
if your motor is built, why do you have to do the recall? I'd assume if you have aftermarket valve springs, this wont be an issue. but i'm in the same boat as you...this recall came out about a month or two after I swapped my blown motor for another '13 motor (i'm turbocharged). I will also be rolling the dice...worst case, I'll build my original heads
I don't, we didnt touch the valvetrain unfortunately.

Yeah my shop that built my engine basically said that the chance of failure is small, and even if there is a failure the chances of a catastrophic engine failure are smaller yet, and "usually" there is a tell that something is going bad with some very ferocious ticking so there is a chance to save it before things get really bad.

Crossing my fingers for you and me!
1stGenBRZ86 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #51
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

If your dealer is refusing to perform the recall without you paying to have mods removed, I implore you to open an NHTSA investigation at the following link:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

This is explicitly against the agreement that Subaru entered into with the NHTSA and puts them out of compliance. Dealerships are going to keep doing this until they're held accountable to the law. File these reports and let the dealership know you are doing it. They are subject to a fine of up to $21,780 for each vehicle they refuse.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-08-2019), mswbrz (03-20-2019), sroby (05-11-2019), Turbo (03-28-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #52
Bunsin
Car Goes Bang

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post

I told them I would give them two hours and they refused for anything less than 8-12. Went all the way up to the regional service manager to get approval for ‘only 5’ extra hours. I have over 1500 miles on it post recal and no issues.
Bunsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #53
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I can't understand why anyone would want the mechanics at the dealership to touch anything involved with something they haven't been trained on. Personally, even if my car were stock I would roll the dice on the springs since several cars that were 'repaired' by dealerships then failed because they don't know how to correctly apply RTV sealant.

If you are set on having them do it, pull the SC yourself, stuff rags into the intake holes and have the car towed to the dealership. Let them do the heads and then reassemble it yourself.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:08 PM   #54
gt86drifter4life

Drives: Scion FRS
Does anyone know of a dealership in northern California that is willing to do the recall on the car with a supercharger? I've tried calling just about every dealership and all of them require the car to be in stock form.
gt86drifter4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #55
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt86drifter4life View Post
Does anyone know of a dealership in Northern California that is willing to do the recall on the car with a supercharger? I've tried calling just about every dealership and all of them require the car to be in stock form.
Since this is your first post, I guess I have to let you know that some people here came to the conclusion that if nothing's gone wrong on your car by now, best to leave it alone. A lot of cars failed after the recall work was done. It's a very precise procedure and they're simply not competent enough to perform it.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #56
gt86drifter4life

Drives: Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Since this is your first post, I guess I have to let you know that some people here came to the conclusion that if nothing's gone wrong on your car by now, best to leave it alone. A lot of cars failed after the recall work was done. It's a very precise procedure and they're simply not competent enough to perform it.
I am aware of that. One of the dealerships I called said they have performed 17 successful recalls so far, not sure if they are to be believed haha.
gt86drifter4life is offline   Reply With Quote