follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2020, 03:44 AM   #29
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowl Full of Crazy View Post
Interesting. Originally, the dealer told me that the Subaru regional folks said they were making just one run of 300 at the same time and they would be sent to the U.S. in February. But, it seems as if they've making a few runs and releasing them in batches.
For the 2020 tS, in order for a dealership to receive one, that dealership needed to place an order. Dealerships were limited to 1 tS (as well as 1 Series.White WRX/STI). I don’t remember the exact number but I believe only 250 orders were allowed.

This was the first time for a limited Edition BRZ to have been distributed this way. The STI S209 was also distributed this way.

This also meant the dealership needed either a real customer to order the car or they had to use somebody’s name and info whether it was a real customer or not.

In other words, the first dealers to order the car under Subaru’s ordering system were the ones who’d get it first. The ones who ordered later would be the ones getting it later.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #30
zagato4r

Drives: 2020 BRZ TS, Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have been offered $1750 off on a 2020 TS. Does anyone have any advice on whether this is reasonable?
zagato4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #31
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,444 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagato4r View Post
I have been offered $1750 off on a 2020 TS. Does anyone have any advice on whether this is reasonable?
Heck fire! That's about what I got off my 2018 tS and the car had been sitting in the showroom for almost 7 months. Plus, I had to fight with the salesman and the sales manager to get that. Mind you this is in Canada but still... Your getting that offer on a brand new unit at the beginning of the year? It's hard to get Subaru dealers up here to budge on anything with STi on it. Just saying...
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #32
Bowl Full of Crazy

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagato4r View Post
IMHO, it depends on the options, if any, the BRZ tS model you're looking at has. If it's $1750 off the base no option model, I think that seems like a good deal. If it has a lot of options, it's still a decent deal, but not great.

I think the "must have" option, for me personally, is the short-throw shifter. I thought it made a big difference. Everything else is icing on the cake. With that said, if it doesn't have the short-throw shifter on the one you're looking at, you can always change it out later.
Bowl Full of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowl Full of Crazy For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 10:44 AM   #33
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,444 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
< snip > ...the "must have" option, for me personally, is the short-throw shifter... < snip >
I agree! I didn't think much about it when I bought my tS. However, I drove a Raiu (Series Gray) Edition which comes stock with the short throw shifter. WOW! What a difference it makes. Now it's top of my list for goodies to get for my car. (Just waiting for a good sale on an aftermarket one up here. The factory part price is nuts.)
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Bowl Full of Crazy (01-10-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #34
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
I agree! I didn't think much about it when I bought my tS. However, I drove a Raiu (Series Gray) Edition which comes stock with the short throw shifter. WOW! What a difference it makes. Now it's top of my list for goodies to get for my car. (Just waiting for a good sale on an aftermarket one up here. The factory part price is nuts.)
The factory short throw is that big if a difference? I've actually not been able to test it out myself yet. I keep thinking about the STI short throw for my tS, because well, STI, but I ended up starting to lean to the IRP shifter for the track, because well, it's also awesome haha
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:21 PM   #35
Deardorf

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series Hyperblue
So my dealer in Palm Springs, CA has a TS sitting in the back lot. I cruise through regularly hoping they'd get one in. I have never liked pearl white and prefer non metalic paint, so was excited to see the Ceramic white in person, full sun. It's beautiful. Crisp clean white-no nonsense. This car is heavily optioned which I think is odd. It's got the short shift but sadly, they added for $350 the inside rear view mirror w/compass, etc. One of the most beautiful design elements of the limited editions is the frame-less rear view mirror! So elegant, a bit of retro and just plain cool-but on this new TS it was
jettisoned for a compass.

I went inside to talk to the salesmen about the car and they didn't even seem to be aware it had landed. They are so into selling 300 Outbacks a month a BRZ, even a TS is more of a buzzing fly I think. Anyway-They just sold their S209 off the showroom floor with a $30,000 -yes a 3 with 4 zeros! mark-up over MSRP. So, I hope they're not trying the same with this TS. If anyone's looking and local, check it out at the dealer in Palm Springs.
Deardorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #36
Bowl Full of Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
The factory short throw is that big if a difference? I've actually not been able to test it out myself yet. I keep thinking about the STI short throw for my tS, because well, STI, but I ended up starting to lean to the IRP shifter for the track, because well, it's also awesome haha
When you say "factory short throw", are you asking about the standard shifter or the optional short-throw? The default/standard shifter on the BRZ tS is not a short-throw shifter. You can, however, order the car with a short-throw for ~$500 (USD) from the factory and that shifter is a STI short-throw shifter. That's the option I got and what we were referencing in previous posts.

I'm just clarifying because I wasn't sure if you thought the optional short-throw shifter option from the factory wasn't from STI. It is.

I'm not terribly educated on other short-throw shifter options from other manufacturers; however, I thought the optional short-throw (i.e. STI) shifter made a bit difference relative to the standard shifter.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:11 PM   #37
Bowl Full of Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorf View Post
So my dealer in Palm Springs, CA has a TS sitting in the back lot. I cruise through regularly hoping they'd get one in. I have never liked pearl white and prefer non metalic paint, so was excited to see the Ceramic white in person, full sun. It's beautiful. Crisp clean white-no nonsense.
Thanks for the observation on the paint color. I haven't seen it in person yet, but looking forward to it. By your description, I will be happy.

Quote:
I went inside to talk to the salesmen about the car and they didn't even seem to be aware it had landed. They are so into selling 300 Outbacks a month a BRZ, even a TS is more of a buzzing fly I think. Anyway-They just sold their S209 off the showroom floor with a $30,000 -yes a 3 with 4 zeros! mark-up over MSRP. So, I hope they're not trying the same with this TS. If anyone's looking and local, check it out at the dealer in Palm Springs.
I agree. The dealers don't seem to be all that knowledgeable or excited about the BRZ tS, which might be a good thing because I got a decent deal on mine (i.e., no market mark-up).

Regarding the S209, my dealer (in Florida) has one on the showroom floor and it had only a $5,000 market mark-up. They haven't sold it yet.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:20 PM   #38
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
VIN 0484

Quote:
I received a VON number for my new 2020 Subaru BRZ tS. They gave an ETA of a late January delivery date to the dealer. I'm wondering if anyone has taken delivery yet of the new tS?
I put down my deposit for my 2020 BRZ tS on 24 October 2019. It was ordered on 24 Nov 2019 and arrived at the dealership on 19 Dec 2019.

Options: Foglights, STi Short Throw Shifter, LED dome, and red footwell lighting

Last edited by 2020BRZtS; 01-11-2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added options
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2020BRZtS For This Useful Post:
Bowl Full of Crazy (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #39
zagato4r

Drives: 2020 BRZ TS, Alfa Romeo 4C
VIN 0537

I took delivery 1/10/20. The car is equipped with the short throw shifter. The steering is noticeably more responsive than the Series Gray that I traded.
zagato4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:06 PM   #40
Bowl Full of Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
I put down my deposit for my 2020 BRZ tS on 24 October 2019. It was ordered on 24 Nov 2019 and arrived at the dealership on 19 Dec 2019.

Options: Foglights, STi Short Throw Shifter, LED dome, and red footwell lighting
Thanks. Funny enough, I got similar options. How do you like the red footwell lighting?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:17 PM   #41
J1Avs

Quote:
When you say "factory short throw", are you asking about the standard shifter or the optional short-throw? The default/standard shifter on the BRZ tS is not a short-throw shifter. You can, however, order the car with a short-throw for ~$500 (USD) from the factory and that shifter is a STI short-throw shifter. That's the option I got and what we were referencing in previous posts.

I'm just clarifying because I wasn't sure if you thought the optional short-throw shifter option from the factory wasn't from STI. It is.

I'm not terribly educated on other short-throw shifter options from other manufacturers; however, I thought the optional short-throw (i.e. STI) shifter made a bit difference relative to the standard shifter.
Factory Short-Throw is the STI Short Throw Shifter - as in, factory-optioned, dealer-installed.

Have you driven the car with both the standard shifter and the STI short throw? What kind of reduction in throw are you experiencing. It’s quite an expensive short throw option for an alleged 10-15% reduction in throw vs the 50-60% reduction from the IRP. It’s surprisingly to hear some folks now saying it’s a very noticeable difference, so I was looking for additional feedback.

Also - I see you are new here and likely new to platform, so, welcome. But if you looked, I own an built 2018 tS, been on here for quite some time, and have a pretty good knowledge of the platform. Welcome to FT86, but let’s try not to be so, for lack of a better word, “man-splainy” on topics rather rudimentary.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:20 PM   #42
J1Avs

Quote:
So my dealer in Palm Springs, CA has a TS sitting in the back lot. I cruise through regularly hoping they'd get one in. I have never liked pearl white and prefer non metalic paint, so was excited to see the Ceramic white in person, full sun. It's beautiful. Crisp clean white-no nonsense. This car is heavily optioned which I think is odd. It's got the short shift but sadly, they added for $350 the inside rear view mirror w/compass, etc. One of the most beautiful design elements of the limited editions is the frame-less rear view mirror! So elegant, a bit of retro and just plain cool-but on this new TS it was
jettisoned for a compass.

I have that mirror in my 2018 tS. I don’t care much for the compass, BUT the auto-dimming is crazy helpful. I have a standard mirror in my WRX, and it’s a night and day difference.