follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
broke a stud today and have a few questions about lugs and studs

so im looking to put apr studs in my wheels in the spring because i broke a stud today putting on winter tires and have a few questions.

i assume that since i have snow tires on my stock wheels im forced to use standard length, or do they sell non tapered lugs that that will fix?

secondly, before i had the 7 side project kics but need to replace them since i broke a stud off in one. is it worth it getting locks? i feel that if anyone wants to take my wheels they will.

thirdly, ive never run opened ended lugs, are there any advantage? im guessing no? im just looking for some red extended lugs mostly for aesthetics.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Not too sure what you mean by non tapered lug nuts. But yes they sell them. Only problem is they may not fit wheel opening.

Wheel locks, well that's all up to you. But your right if some one wants your wheels they will do anything to get them. But if you want to add them, go for it.

Open ended lugs are the same as closed lugs. It's up to you. Go nuts. Lol.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Not too sure what you mean by non tapered lug nuts. But yes they sell them. Only problem is they may not fit wheel opening.

Wheel locks, well that's all up to you. But your right if some one wants your wheels they will do anything to get them. But if you want to add them, go for it.

Open ended lugs are the same as closed lugs. It's up to you. Go nuts. Lol.

stock wheels arent conical, the lugs are flat on the bottom, so if i wanted to run extended studs id need 2 sets of lugs, 1 flat bottomed, and one tapered. i dont even know if they make flatbottomed lugs that can fit extended. i guess thats my question
Old 11-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #4
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
stock wheels arent conical, the lugs are flat on the bottom, so if i wanted to run extended studs id need 2 sets of lugs, 1 flat bottomed, and one tapered. i dont even know if they make flatbottomed lugs that can fit extended. i guess thats my question

Stock lugs are 60° cone just like nearly all aftermarket lugs.

No reason to get extended unless you'll be running spacers or something.
kch (11-12-2018), Leonardo (11-11-2018), re-animator (11-12-2018), Summerwolf (11-29-2018), Tcoat (11-29-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
Breadman

good point, i guess i was thinking it as "future proofing" but the whole stock wheels and flat lugs make it easy choice. gonna go with a regular stud, closed, and hopefully steel with no locks
Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #6
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Stock lugs are not flat. They are conical. You can use any tapered lug nut on stock wheels without issue.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
so im looking to put apr studs in my wheels in the spring because i broke a stud today putting on winter tires and have a few questions.

i assume that since i have snow tires on my stock wheels im forced to use standard length, or do they sell non tapered lugs that that will fix?

secondly, before i had the 7 side project kics but need to replace them since i broke a stud off in one. is it worth it getting locks? i feel that if anyone wants to take my wheels they will.

thirdly, ive never run opened ended lugs, are there any advantage? im guessing no? im just looking for some red extended lugs mostly for aesthetics.

There is some disadvantages to open ended lugs which is possible rust on the studs. If you like the open ended lugs, there are some that have an open ended cap on top of a closed end lug.

I have wheel locks on my car -- but it's only because the Rays lug nuts I got came with it - not because I was seeking wheel locks, but I wouldn't get wheel locks for stock wheels. Don't think anyone would want to steal those lol.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
There is some disadvantages to open ended lugs which is possible rust on the studs. If you like the open ended lugs, there are some that have an open ended cap on top of a closed end lug.

I have wheel locks on my car -- but it's only because the Rays lug nuts I got came with it - not because I was seeking wheel locks, but I wouldn't get wheel locks for stock wheels. Don't think anyone would want to steal those lol.
And anybody that wants to steal wheels on any sort of semi professional level will have all the keyed sockets anyway. Lug locks only stop the casual thief. Like you said even casual thieves aren't interested in the stock wheels since guys trying to sell them practically give them away.