follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #15
Q86STL

Drives: 2015 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tcoat is right. The spreadsheet is pricing for my area but at least it can give you a rough idea. And I definitely agree with Tcoat that you should not buy the car site unseen. Based on the four I have looked at, I would never buy one of these without looking at it in person based on the damage not visible in photos but obvious in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Q86STL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Q86STL For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-22-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
DC86

Drives: 2014 Honda Civic EX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q86STL View Post
Tcoat is right. The spreadsheet is pricing for my area but at least it can give you a rough idea. And I definitely agree with Tcoat that you should not buy the car site unseen. Based on the four I have looked at, I would never buy one of these without looking at it in person based on the damage not visible in photos but obvious in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmm ok, Just wanted a second opinion on that. I guess I should have seen that coming considering how much stress is put into most twins. I sort of thought about it how if you were ever buying a used lan evo, buckle up cause finding one that hasnt been pushed to its limits is rare like a unicorn.
DC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #17
meadowz06
THE CORVETTE KING!

Drives: 2013 FR-S, and 2016 FR-S!
I bought both of mine used. I would get a newer model, with the lowest mileage. Banks use NADA value to finance cars, NOT KBB! So make sure the car is a good deal using NADA values. Interest rates have gone up a bit, so your local credit union will have the best rates on car loans. Get as close to, or below, NADA trade in value, if you can. That will be a good deal. I have had no problems with my 2013 or my 2016. Good luck.

Last edited by meadowz06; 08-23-2018 at 09:36 AM.
meadowz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #18
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I'd never buy one of these from a dealer unseen, however if you find one from an individual and have lots of long conversations and get to know them very well you might. Still wouldn't finalize the deal without at least driving the car and seeing it in person, photoshop is just too good at this point at hiding flaws.

I went with the buy one that had good features and was newish, and I kind of regret it. Especially now with the 2013 models nearing $10k it is easy to overlook a lack of anything compared to a car that you paid double that, especially if you do decide you want to add some mods. Although the 2017 upgrades look like they are all really good, not sure an extra $15k is worth it.

It really depends on how much you might want to mod it, and what you are going for.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #19
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@DC86 I'd be wary of any looming maintenance items on the used 86. Spark plugs at a certain interval are expensive, clutch throw out bearing jobs, transmission and motor mounts needing replacing, worn-in suspension, replacing the wheel studs, etc. Just be aware you might need to set aside $2k for general maintenance items / refresh.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #20
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If buying used from a dealer make sure to get the true out of the door price (taxes + any dealer fees). Open the hood and check for rust, don't forget to check the tire tread, etc.

If you know someone who has the car it would really help to bring them along.

I bought my FR-S used and missed some things that I would now know to check (end of the day everything works fine, but I spent the first year or so slowly undoing everything the previous owner had modded - the only mod remaining from the previous owner on the car is the exhaust which is horribly aligned and in need of some fixing).
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC86 View Post
mmm ok, Just wanted a second opinion on that. I guess I should have seen that coming considering how much stress is put into most twins. I sort of thought about it how if you were ever buying a used lan evo, buckle up cause finding one that hasnt been pushed to its limits is rare like a unicorn.
Finding one of these that has not been pushed hard really shouldn't be that hard. The forum makes them look like they get beat on more than they actually do. The enthusiasts would like you to believe they are something bought only by others with the same mindset but most are bought by "average" people. The problem with trying to find a straight Evo is that they have been around long enough to have gone through a few owners. As they get cheaper they tend to get beat on more by each consecutive owner. The Twins are still early enough in production that you can find unmolested ones. Or at least relatively unmolested ones.
Sapphireho (08-23-2018), Summerwolf (08-23-2018), why? (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #22
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Nice to find out that Carfax is quite useless. Just what I had expected all along.

I'd certainly not trust 'Certified' Used, on a new car dealer's lot either.

Best to have an independent mechanic check out a car for you.

Personally, I always want to know what the bottom of a car looks like, seen from car on a lift with a drop light in hand.

Sometimes the selling dealer might let you do this at their location.

You'd be surprised what they'll do to make the sale.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
why? (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #23
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
First time buyer? I would probably stay away from a twin, find a reasonably priced super practical car and build your credit up. Dont stretch yourself thin right off the bat. Credit is hard to build and easy to damage.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
First time buyer? I would probably stay away from a twin, find a reasonably priced super practical car and build your credit up. Dont stretch yourself thin right off the bat. Credit is hard to build and easy to damage.
Not sure about the logic there Sum. The twins are reasonably priced, plenty practical for most people (suck if you installed drywall and wanted a work vehicle) and make as much sense to buy as a first car as any other car on the road.
Dadhawk (08-24-2018), why? (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #25
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not sure about the logic there Sum. The twins are reasonably priced, plenty practical for most people (suck if you installed drywall and wanted a work vehicle) and make as much sense to buy as a first car as any other car on the road.
Damnit, now you had to go and make sense. What is this forum coming to?

They are generally more expensive than some other cars of similar size and mileage though. But tooootaly worth it if anyone is on the fence.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:25 PM   #26
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Nope. Better values on new vehicles with apr / warranty (think versa or the like.)

As a used vehicle these are prone to abuse so incurred costs could be more as well.... which dealers love to sell the add ons ( warranty etc.)

To build credit I would (personally) consider a car under 10k to keep payments reasonable and not rely on co signers or anything.... you also have to consider insurance and registration costs.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
DC86 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #27
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Nope. Better values on new vehicles with apr / warranty (think versa or the like.)

As a used vehicle these are prone to abuse so incurred costs could be more as well.... which dealers love to sell the add ons ( warranty etc.)

To build credit I would (personally) consider a car under 10k to keep payments reasonable and not rely on co signers or anything.... you also have to consider insurance and registration costs.
sounds like you would want a mk1 MR2.

Credit is overrated. Save the cash in a bank account, find a bank that will give a good rate on an auto loan, and just let the bank take the payment automatically from the account. Best of both worlds. Car is already paid for and you are building credit.

I see no value in buying normal cars. Also note that while a small segment abuses the twins, most just use them like normal cars.

Besides warranties are overrated. Some have needed it on the twins but 2015 and after seem to have all the kinks worked out. A boring eco vehicle like a Yaris or a Versa has zero need for a warranty. My Yaris lasted 12 years before I sold it, and not once did I ever need to invoke the warranty, and from what I've seen on those forums no one else did either.

Telling an enthusiast to buy a versa, no matter how old, is just wrong on every level possible.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
DC86 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #28
meadowz06
THE CORVETTE KING!

Drives: 2013 FR-S, and 2016 FR-S!
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
sounds like you would want a mk1 MR2.

Credit is overrated. Save the cash in a bank account, find a bank that will give a good rate on an auto loan, and just let the bank take the payment automatically from the account. Best of both worlds. Car is already paid for and you are building credit.

I see no value in buying normal cars. Also note that while a small segment abuses the twins, most just use them like normal cars.

Besides warranties are overrated. Some have needed it on the twins but 2015 and after seem to have all the kinks worked out. A boring eco vehicle like a Yaris or a Versa has zero need for a warranty. My Yaris lasted 12 years before I sold it, and not once did I ever need to invoke the warranty, and from what I've seen on those forums no one else did either.

Telling an enthusiast to buy a versa, no matter how old, is just wrong on every level possible.
Banks can't get close to credit union auto loan rates. Not on used. And warranties are NOT overrated. The touch screen radio in a FRS/BRZ is 800-1000. Certified FRS/86's are the best used deals. They have full bumper to bumper warranties, and a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and transmission. Inspected from head to toe, and in between. And you had a Yaris, the most basic car in Toyota's range. I do this for a living. And credit is NOT overrated. Good credit scores mean you have the banks and credit unions at YOUR mercy. Bad credit is the other way around!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadowz06 For This Useful Post:
DC86 (08-24-2018), Tcoat (08-24-2018)