follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
JDMrolla

Drives: AE86 and white FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Injen Intake possible causing CEL

I believe my injen intake is cause the CEL light to come on, took it to dealer with factory unit back in place to get in check, code said to much air intake. my question is that if i put the injen intake back on and get it tuned will it fix the issue? I did not have it tuned before.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Skywgn1

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (manual)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMrolla View Post
I believe my injen intake is cause the CEL light to come on, took it to dealer with factory unit back in place to get in check, code said to much air intake. my question is that if i put the injen intake back on and get it tuned will it fix the issue? I did not have it tuned before.

I've had mine since September without a tune and have never had a CEL.. That said you might need the tune.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
JDMrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywgn1 View Post
I've had mine since September without a tune and have never had a CEL.. That said you might need the tune.
Yeah i've had mine for quite awhile with no problems, It happened one other time as well tho, It seems to only happen after driving for at least an hour, but during a daily commute no problems,, i also have no problems with idle or anything.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,125 Times in 520 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I have the intake and a tune and it has not gave me a light.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I never have any problems with mines either. How many miles have you driven with the Intake before the CEL first came up? I have a feeling you didnt clamp either the pipe that goes in the throttle body or air filter properly and letting extra unfiltered air into your system. But if you firmly believe you did, then you may need a tune for yours.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
i had the intake without a tune for a month and no CEL. got a tune and still no CEL. you may have installed it incorrectly or just got a bad unit.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S MT
Garage
I had problems with bogging, CEL, and stalling because of a defective Injen intake. My second one hasn't given me an issue, even after 2+ hour trips, although I am starting to think that the car is dramatically losing power after sitting at idle for a while because of the open airbox design.
OFT Stg 2 UEL E85 - Borla UEL Header - Invidia Q300 - Invidia catless frontpipe - Fa20club CAI - Billet Power Blocks - Michelin PSS 245/35/18 all around on Motegi Racing SP10 18x8 +38 - Eibach Sportline springs - SPC LCA
BuBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
your fuel trims got out of whack and maxed out most likely. The maf will need to be rescaled to work with the intake you have.

Unless they are using a machined billet maf housing, placement of the sensor can very a little bit from unit to unit affecting the airflow readings. On top of that some cars stack up fuel trims completely stock (mine was one of them).. add the two together and you get air flow out of range cels.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
JDMrolla

I had it on since November. I do take a lot of very short trips, always ran fine with it tho, no idle or lag issues. I was also running the cusco oil catch can, not sure if that makes difference....the unit has clean welds so i dont think the there is an issue with the unit itself. everything is clamped down good, dont see how i could do it any better......thinking im going to go with the tune, and just order a drop in for the mean time.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
mad_sb

Quote:
I had it on since November. I do take a lot of very short trips, always ran fine with it tho, no idle or lag issues. I was also running the cusco oil catch can, not sure if that makes difference....the unit has clean welds so i dont think the there is an issue with the unit itself. everything is clamped down good, dont see how i could do it any better......thinking im going to go with the tune, and just order a drop in for the mean time.
OR you could check the fuel trims and see what is actually going on. What code was it throwing? Due to the way these cars transition from closed to open loop you can easily stack up a big fuel trim in a hurry. If you threw a code based on hitting a max or min trim just reset the ecu and monitor the trims while you save up for a tune.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
FrsSwag

Drives: Frs,civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i dont think the injen intake needs a tune to work properly. it must not be working right. There are more threads about this with other people.
FrsSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
welllam

Drives: STi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Need to know if your system is sucking more air in the system. If yes, that means ur system has Max out the fuel addition but still cannot compensate the extra leakage.

Tighten up all the bolts or zipties and check for leaks at tubes connecting your catch can. I had leaked before after installing air oil separator on my STi due to a busted zip ties.

Quote:

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
welllam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
JDMrolla

^thanks going to try all suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
OR you could check the fuel trims and see what is actually going on. What code was it throwing? Due to the way these cars transition from closed to open loop you can easily stack up a big fuel trim in a hurry. If you threw a code based on hitting a max or min trim just reset the ecu and monitor the trims while you save up for a tune.
How can I check the fuel trim, and how could I fix it, I don't have my own scanner but the dealer said the codes were P0171 and P117B
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
mad_sb

P0171 is system too lean.. so you maxed out the + fuel trims. You can pickup the torque app and a cheap bluetooth obdii adapter from ebay to monitor them with.

There are a number of usb obdii adaters and inexpensive obdII software scanners for laptops.

In the end you will need a tune if you want to run the intake. Short term you can reset the ecu when the trims stack up.

Or you can order a cable and get the techstream software that allows you to do all kinds of cools stuff like customize the drl's and door locks etc as well as look at all the diagnostics etc for less than $30:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-MINI-...69e2ee&vxp=mtr

Check out my thread on the fuel trim subject

Quote:
^thanks going to try all suggestions

How can I check the fuel trim, and how could I fix it, I don't have my own scanner but the dealer said the codes were P0171 and P117B