follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #785
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I traded in my 2001 BMW 325ci convertible for this car and while I am dearly in love with my FR-S, my only gripes are;
- Tires! this thing really needs some better rubber!
- Lack of an arm rest.
- Daytime running lights. The GT86's and BRZ's are so much better looking.
- It really does only need about 50 more whp and 70 wtq to be perfect.

Scott

** I should add that fixing the above gripes is very easy and I have plans to do so. **
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #786
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr086 View Post
as far as the up and down setting of the mirror goes, are there any guidlines for that?
I set mine as far up as possible without cutting off what's on my rear flank. I've always felt this maximizes the available viewport

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #787
evilconcarne999
My LFA

Drives: No Boost
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
A few things that kinda grind my gears about the car:

-Doors will not stay open, passenger door is worse but i find myself having to constantly push open the doors if i dont immediately get out of my car when i get to where im going.
-Would like some more power at the lower RPM range.
-Shifter feels sloppy at times and i have had troubles/hard for it to get it into first and reverse more than i like. i have had to start in 2nd gear a few times at a light because it would not go into first gear, could just be my car and hopfully a few minor tweeks will fix it but it is annoying.
-Would of liked the option of having more than one trim level available for the car, not necessary but would of been nice.
-That it didnt stay a toyota when it came to the states, although a few cosmetics change that but i would of liked it to stay a GT-86 here in the states.
-Suspension is really rough on a lot of roads would of been nice to have some kind of a comfort setting when using it for DD/work.

Everything else is great about the car i dont regret the purchase one bit and even though its not a family oriented car like the one i used for trade in towards this car, i still get the family fit in it when i dont want to drive the wifes slow car

On a side note, where are the TRD parts at toyota? Everywhere else in the world gets the full TRD line up but the US? With the huge following I would of figured it be a no brainer to have the parts already here in the states.
evilconcarne999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #788
Mac1235

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMrolla View Post
I hate that its a Scion and not a Toyota.
It is a toyota just branded a Scion. Scion did not do shit for this car. Replace the badges.
Mac1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mac1235 For This Useful Post:
driftartist (12-17-2012), Ericc B (04-14-2013), JDMrolla (12-23-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #789
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1235 View Post
It is a toyota just branded a Scion. Scion did not do shit for this car. Replace the badges.
Yup
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #790
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1235 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftartist View Post
Yup
This old sh*t again?

Toyota's getting paid either way, so why do they care?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #791
TheFRSChick

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S / WhiteOut (37J)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
hate the squeaky windows when wet ! and stupid toyota people said to just let it break it.. it'll stop... smh.
No buttons on steering wheel for audio
no Gas Mile range thing to tell me how far i can drive..
no sun/moon roof
stock wheels gotta go...
easily losing traction control...
slips a lot on rocky areas.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #792
TheFRSChick

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S / WhiteOut (37J)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGOD View Post
Those driving in cold weather, do you notice sometimes it takes a long time to start up with the key? I feel like it's going to stall (automatic).
Thats been happening to me lately !!! my friends telling me its the Battery..
and i thought that was impossible due to how new the car was...

Sometimes i would have to turn the key harder for it to get to start starting part... T_T
Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #793
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There Isn't anything I Hate about my fr-s, a few annoyances. Didn't like the appearance of stock rims, Plastidip helPed. Big pillars make poor side rear visibility, something all modern vehicles suffer from. Analog speedo close to useless. Should have come with more gauges. I groused once about the side mirrors looking chunky, but friend with m coupe said is should be thankfull. The clutch pedal is so light & take up point is high. Perhaps my one gripe is, WTH Toyota, why frameless door?! It seems you convinced Subaru to finally move away from that, but you make the gt86 frameless?! Looks cool I suppose, but it's ripe for problems down the line. If it were a convertible sure, but it isn't!
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #794
nishkabob

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd 6M WR Blue Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Coming from a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro, I LOVE the way this puppy whips the corners. Occasionally spins a tire on takeoff, but I still smile every time I drive it. Still keeping the tach under 4k, so haven't gotten a feel for that power flat spot everyone talks about yet. A few minor things bug me though…

- hate the fact that the Homelink buttons go dead after you kill the ignition. I pull into the garage, shut it down, then d'oh! (I know some have come up with a rolling work-around, but why?)

- no good place to put a stinking cup of coffee! Behind my right elbow? In the door pocket? Really? And don't say "real drivers don't drink coffee while they drive a car like this"… yes we do...

- anyone else notice that if you link to the phone with USB or Bluetooth, there's no way to "press 1 for English", etc? The number pad dims out during a call, so you can't press * to bypass voicemail greetings.

- still figuring out the best way to link up my iPhone…
---> I had to buy an Exogear suction mount to put my phone up where I can see it. And I have to keep it easy to see so I can use Siri and play music.
---> plugging in via USB means navigating the agonizing music menu, took me half my trip to work to locate a freakin' song. I think whoever designed that never actually used it in a moving car…
---> And if I want to use Bluetooth to stream my music (and control it on the phone), I can't plug the phone into the USB outlet for power because it forces to USB for music also. So, I'm gonna have to get a small cig lighter USB plug, and plug it into the power outlet in the console (so I have to shift the cup holders even further back) or the glove compartment (and run it halfway across the dash). Yeesh.

Don't get me wrong… I totally love this car… just wish that they had tweaked a few things to make it more livable for those of us who drive it to work and around town.

Last edited by nishkabob; 12-18-2012 at 07:39 AM.
nishkabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #795
captainzib
Oompa Loompa of Science

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
So far that I can tell, there is no way to switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius. My Camry had a button. In the FR-S you can switch from mph to km/h, so why not English to metric temp?

I know it's a nitpick, but I've been using metric temp in my Camry for the last 11 years. To me it's just stupid when weather reporters talk about the temp being "5 below". 5 below what? Freezing or zero. Having 0*C as a freezing point for water, (that liquid that sometimes falls from Earth's atmosphere), just makes more sense than 32*F. It's just a cleaner, nicer number.
</engineer rant>

Still a great car though.
captainzib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #796
BIGCUMBOY

Drives: 2004 Accord (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzib View Post
So far that I can tell, there is no way to switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius. My Camry had a button. In the FR-S you can switch from mph to km/h, so why not English to metric temp?

I know it's a nitpick, but I've been using metric temp in my Camry for the last 11 years. To me it's just stupid when weather reporters talk about the temp being "5 below". 5 below what? Freezing or zero. Having 0*C as a freezing point for water, (that liquid that sometimes falls from Earth's atmosphere), just makes more sense than 32*F. It's just a cleaner, nicer number.
</engineer rant>

Still a great car though.
Are you sure mine says 0*C, did you hold the button to switch?
BIGCUMBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #797
shaggy

Drives: Argento FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGCUMBOY View Post

^This
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #798
captainzib
Oompa Loompa of Science

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGCUMBOY View Post
You're in Canada bro, I'm in the USA. I tried holding the button and simply pressing it, and could only change speed units but not temp.

I would love to be wrong about this though.

*Edit

I see a Houston member is backing you up. I'll try this out later, maybe I didn't hold it long enough the first time? Thanks.
captainzib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ha ha!, hate, playerhatersball, potatopants