follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 03-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #2689
dejahboi

Drives: 13 FRS - Boosted
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've been having issues with my car within these past 2 weeks. Seems like the Edel SC is dropping boost around 3k-5k rpm intermittently (and its very noticeable, its like I have the torque dips all over again). I checked the EVAP solenoid hose and its secured with a clamp. Any other suggestions?
dejahboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #2690
devtec

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Hi all,

Longtime lurker here, and early adopter of the Edelbrock s/c, installed November of 2015 with 9k miles on the car. Have had a long road, but finally here, I think. A bit of the story of the car:

- Driving home from official approved Edelbrock installer, the s/c seized. Car towed back and Edelbrock sent out new s/c unit. Reinstalled.

- But from the beginning, car suffered from significant jerking/hesitation/stumbling problems at partial throttle starting from a stop. Puzzling as it seemed no others were having these problems. In reading through all 190 or so posts on this thread over the years, though, it seems that slowly others started reporting similar behavior (86fun, lunatic, sargy, clayrush, B_T, BigFatLip, Luftwaffel, shiumai, etc.).

- Relatively soon after the install, I switched to the Delicious tune hoping it would improve things. It was world's better than the early Edelbrock tune, but it did not solve the hesitation problems.

- In trying to troubleshoot, went through all of the following:

Smoke tested, and all possible vacuum leaks addressed
- MAF O-ring found to have leak and replaced with O-ring from CSG (check this!! improved, but did not completely stop hesitation)
- Edelbrock bypass actuator found to have leak and replaced with new part from Edelbrock (check this!! improved, but did not completely stop hesitation)
- intake manifold gaskets replaced at the time bypass actuator was swapped (did not improve hesitation)

Hardware
- added Delicious D box (did not improve hesitation)
- installed revised Edelbrock MAF air flow straightener intake housing (did not improve hesitation)
- MAF sensor cleaned with MAF sensor cleaner repeatedly (did not improve hesitation)
- MAP sensor replaced with new Bosch part (did not improve hesitation)
- throttle body replaced in case it was the TPS sensor (did not improve hesitation)
- added grounding kit and did Big 3 since I have an 1100W sound system (actually did help significantly with hesitation)

Throughout all these, the hesitation on light throttle never went away, but seemed to lessen very slowly over time. In addition to addressing the legitimate problems (O-ring, bypass valve), I think it was constant refinements by Zach from Delicious with flash tunes done by remote logging. With these, the jerk had been reduced to a slight stumble (especially with the V22.0 Delicious tune). By this point, I had 42k miles on the car!

Finally having gone through all of the above, and with stars aligning for me at work to get the free time, had the car dyno tuned at Mann Engineering in Santa Clara, CA a few days ago.

Results are attached.

2015 BRZ Limited, 42.5k miles
Edelbrock s/c
Ace Type 350 header
Milltek Secondary Catback (Resonated)

This tune was WITHOUT a D-box, since my early unit was malfunctioning. Delicious will be replacing it, so hopefully may get another 10 peak horsepower or so once it's in.

No more hesitation. Car is smooth, quiet, and powerful. On my stock BRZ with my mixed driving commute, I was getting 28.5mpg. With this tune I am getting about 30.4mpg.

I just want to thank Gary at Mann for amazing service and an incredible facility (with a Maha dynamometer). Likewise thanks to Bill and Zach from Delicious. I could not recommend these guys more strongly, for sticking with me through countless emails and ten remote tunes, and delivering in the end with an in-person dyno tune that solved all the problems. All in all, was it just a tuning issue? Not sure, as there were some hardware issues, and it is still unsolved as to why some cars do not respond well to tunes that work great on other cars.

At this point, don't much care, as I am finally truly enjoying my BRZ.
Attached Images

Last edited by devtec; 03-10-2018 at 08:54 PM.
devtec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to devtec For This Useful Post:
byun (03-04-2018), CSG Mike (03-04-2018), dejahboi (03-03-2018), gtengr (03-04-2018), ThatAsianBradah (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 01:50 AM   #2691
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejahboi View Post
I've been having issues with my car within these past 2 weeks. Seems like the Edel SC is dropping boost around 3k-5k rpm intermittently (and its very noticeable, its like I have the torque dips all over again). I checked the EVAP solenoid hose and its secured with a clamp. Any other suggestions?
Got a datalog I can look at?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:53 AM   #2692
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtec View Post
I think it was constant refinements by Zach from Delicious with flash tunes done by remote logging. With these, the jerk had been reduced to a slight stumble (especially with the V22.0 Delicious tune). By this point, I had 42k miles on the car!

I just want to thank Gary at Mann for amazing service and an incredible facility (with a Maha dynamometer). Likewise thanks to Bill and Zach from Delicious. I could not recommend these guys more strongly, for sticking with me through countless emails and ten remote tunes, and delivering in the end with an in-person dyno tune that solved all the problems.

At this point, don't much care, as I am finally truly enjoying my BRZ.
Most folks have NO IDEA how many revisions the delicious tunes have gone though.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
B T (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #2693
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
How did you discover your D-Box was malfunctioning?
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #2694
devtec

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Pretty obvious, car would idle terribly then die.
devtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #2695
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtec View Post
- But from the beginning, car suffered from significant jerking/hesitation/stumbling problems at partial throttle starting from a stop. Puzzling as it seemed no others were having these problems. In reading through all 190 or so posts on this thread over the years, though, it seems that slowly others started reporting similar behavior (86fun, lunatic, sargy, clayrush, B_T, BigFatLip, Luftwaffel, shiumai, etc.).

Throughout all these, the hesitation on light throttle never went away, but seemed to lessen very slowly over time. In addition to addressing the legitimate problems (O-ring, bypass valve), I think it was constant refinements by Zach from Delicious with flash tunes done by remote logging. With these, the jerk had been reduced to a slight stumble (especially with the V22.0 Delicious tune). By this point, I had 42k miles on the car!

No more hesitation. Car is smooth, quiet, and powerful. On my stock BRZ with my mixed driving commute, I was getting 28.5mpg. With this tune I am getting about 30mpg.
I'm on the delicious tune v21.01 and occasionally I'll get the jerking with partial throttle, and it only happens in 1st gear. It's absolutely wild behavior since it'll happen with a steady foot. The "work-around" is to apply more throttle than normal.

Throughout my entire journey with the edelbrock supercharger, I've had terrible fuel economy. Right after install, with the Edelbrock map, I was getting 17 mpg; down from stock 29 mpg. After two revisions of the delicious tune, I'm averaging 21-22 mpg with mainly highway driving.

I've also noticed that my engine will stall randomly while shifting to neutral coming to a stop. I can't leave a laptop in the car for every drive so it's tough to log however, it happens during the winter months before the car has warmed up.

/sigh - hopefully I'll get to where you are someday.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #2696
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm still on the 21 tune from Delicious, no problems though. Do they announce when they have an update anywhere?
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #2697
Proseph

Drives: Supercharged 2016 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would you guys recommend a tune from Delicious as opposed to say HRI Tuning (James)? I know Delicious has done many revisions on this tune but, I would think custom to ones car would be best. Please let me know!

Last edited by Proseph; 03-07-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Typo
Proseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #2698
Kordless

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proseph View Post
Would you guys recommend a tune from Delicious as opposed to say HRI Tuning (James)? I know Delicious has done many revisions on this tune but, I would think custom to ones car would be best. Please let me know!
I would recommend Delicious with my personal experiences. It is custom to your car. You start with a Base Tune and you send in data logs for revisions. It's not just a base tune that you are paying for. You're paying for Zach changing your tune until it's perfect to your car.

Delicious also has the D-Box which helps the Edlebrock gain even more power.

I've had a tune with them since last year and my car has been all over the place, so I've had a lot of revisions. The car drives perfect every time. I hear good things about HRI Tuning and I know HRI is a dealer of Delicious Tuning products

2013 Subaru BRZ - SOLD

Instagram - @uwuboiz
Kordless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kordless For This Useful Post:
gtengr (03-07-2018), Proseph (03-07-2018), ThatAsianBradah (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #2699
dejahboi

Drives: 13 FRS - Boosted
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
I'm still on the 21 tune from Delicious, no problems though. Do they announce when they have an update anywhere?
Zach will occasionally post updates in the software tuning thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
dejahboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dejahboi For This Useful Post:
B T (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #2700
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
v22 is out and costs $75.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiguy For This Useful Post:
B T (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #2701
Colin86

Drives: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
I'm on the delicious tune v21.01 and occasionally I'll get the jerking with partial throttle, and it only happens in 1st gear. It's absolutely wild behavior since it'll happen with a steady foot. The "work-around" is to apply more throttle than normal.

Throughout my entire journey with the edelbrock supercharger, I've had terrible fuel economy. Right after install, with the Edelbrock map, I was getting 17 mpg; down from stock 29 mpg. After two revisions of the delicious tune, I'm averaging 21-22 mpg with mainly highway driving.

I've also noticed that my engine will stall randomly while shifting to neutral coming to a stop. I can't leave a laptop in the car for every drive so it's tough to log however, it happens during the winter months before the car has warmed up.

/sigh - hopefully I'll get to where you are someday.
I've had similar experiences with my v22 tune where I'll get occasional neutral stalls, but the worst part is the weird throttle tip in hesitation. Fuel economy is good here though, if I'm all highway with no spirited driving I'm in the upper 20's or very low 30's.

Biggest frustration is at throttle tip in the car hesitates for a split second before it starts accelerating. It's most annoying when in low gears, when modulating the throttle mid corner at the track, or when blipping the throttle for a down shift. When blipping the throttle in neutral from idle the revs will dip down to almost stalling before revving back up. I too have found if I exaggerate the throttle input when moving the hesitation is slightly less, but it's still there. Anyone interested in looking at a log of this behavior for me?

Otherwise the tune works flawlessly, and on e85 the car scoots.

Edit: Wanted to mention Zach at Delicious has been great to work last year when we were working through my e85 tune and suggested I check my header to see if it's sealed. Haven't gotten a chance to check it just yet as the car has been stored for winter.
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #2702
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin86 View Post
I've had similar experiences with my v22 tune where I'll get occasional neutral stalls, but the worst part is the weird throttle tip in hesitation. Fuel economy is good here though, if I'm all highway with no spirited driving I'm in the upper 20's or very low 30's.

Biggest frustration is at throttle tip in the car hesitates for a split second before it starts accelerating. It's most annoying when in low gears, when modulating the throttle mid corner at the track, or when blipping the throttle for a down shift. When blipping the throttle in neutral from idle the revs will dip down to almost stalling before revving back up. I too have found if I exaggerate the throttle input when moving the hesitation is slightly less, but it's still there. Anyone interested in looking at a log of this behavior for me?

Otherwise the tune works flawlessly, and on e85 the car scoots.

Edit: Wanted to mention Zach at Delicious has been great to work last year when we were working through my e85 tune and suggested I check my header to see if it's sealed. Haven't gotten a chance to check it just yet as the car has been stored for winter.

Your description of the issue sounds exactly what mine does. I still have the edelbrock CARB tune. I sometimes stall in 1st because of the hesitation... or the RPM's go so low that the lights go out for a second until the starter kicks the engine back on automatically.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote