follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
lordtakuban

Drives: 2013 FRS - Whiteout
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
The Ca-Fi unit is currently priced an $999. I have a CarPC in my other car (Core i3, 8GB RAM, 7" screen). If you want to get technical, any head unit is a CarPC. Most of the Pioneers, Kenwoods, etc have a SoC and Windows CE as an OS.

Installing the GPS was actually pretty easy. You will need a rooted device to initially install it to, then copy the APK from /system/app/ to a microSD card. Insert the microSD into the head unit, and install. On some apps, you may need to use APKTool to "Decompile" and modify the manifest XML to eliminate any screen density requirements. I haven't had to do so yet.

Like I stated in my review above, I'm flat out considering removing the CarPC from my other car and installing this. It's cheaper, more stable, cleaner, sounds better, and is actually geared more towards use in a car.

Feel free to ask any questions or screen grabs.
This HU looks better than a more traditional CarPC for sure. I stated that this was essentially a CarPC since it's primarily an android computer in a double din case. $1K is pretty crazy for a hybrid type unit like that especially without a solid built-in Navigation offering. Thanks for the info.
The Following User Says Thank You to lordtakuban For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtakuban View Post
This HU looks better than a more traditional CarPC for sure. I stated that this was essentially a CarPC since it's primarily an android computer in a double din case. $1K is pretty crazy for a hybrid type unit like that especially without a solid built-in Navigation offering. Thanks for the info.
It's expensive for sure, but it leaves me wondering how Kenwood or Pioneer can charge 1K$ + for their units that don't offer anywhere near the same experience or expandability. I guess it's paying for the name. Glad you enjoyed the review.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Got me very intrigued about these Android headunits. I enjoy Android and was questioning about android headunits but you cleared up alot of things. Thanks alot!
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZetaVI For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
Tvo

Drives: Scion Fr-s Hot Lava
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great review I been doing alot of research for my headunit and this narrowed it down pretty good.
Tvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
lordtakuban

Drives: 2013 FRS - Whiteout
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's expensive for sure, but it leaves me wondering how Kenwood or Pioneer can charge 1K$ + for their units that don't offer anywhere near the same experience or expandability. I guess it's paying for the name. Glad you enjoyed the review.
Kenwood and Pioneer and others charge $1K+ for reliability and full car radio functionality that simply works.

I definitely like where the android based HU's are heading though. If one of the big players can integrate their current lineup with something like this, that would be an "extreme win" product.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtakuban View Post
Kenwood and Pioneer and others charge $1K+ for reliability and full car radio functionality that simply works.

I definitely like where the android based HU's are heading though. If one of the big players can integrate their current lineup with something like this, that would be an "extreme win" product.
I guess I don't understand. This is full car radio functionality... and then some. Reliability is to be seen as it was just released in August.

I've had 3-4 kenwood head units fail. Not to mention their problems with USB functionality. Pioneers seemed to have been rock solid for me thus far, but at the expense of a clunky and slow interface.

I definitely like where it's going. This is just the first wave of them, and they already outperform/outclass those "proven" 1k$+ head units from major manufacturers. If it manages to function reliably, then it is a huge win!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #21
themadpants

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Adayo

I feel as though the FM Radio app is a bit more attractive and I dig the retro feel to it.

Music

Ca-Fi

I wonder if you can extract your favored interface to an APK and get it to run on the other unit?

I would love to find out, though I hear it is a challenge to root these head units?
themadpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadpants View Post
I wonder if you can extract your favored interface to an APK and get it to run on the other unit?

I would love to find out, though I hear it is a challenge to root these head units?
Yea if its possible ill definitely do it. Though I may just keep the stock radio app because it matches the music player. Lol. Or maybe I should just write my own. Ahh decisions decisions.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
inimitable

Drives: SSM 6-MT limited
Awesome review! I'd certainly consider ca-fi, if only I hadn't already shelled out like 2.5x on the stock piece that came with my car. I wish someone just wrote a version of android that would could work with the basic necessities and common form factor available on most newer cars. I wonder what kind of hardware the Fujitsu Ten is packing?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
inimitable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inimitable View Post
Awesome review! I'd certainly consider ca-fi, if only I hadn't already shelled out like 2.5x on the stock piece that came with my car. I wish someone just wrote a version of android that would could work with the basic necessities and common form factor available on most newer cars. I wonder what kind of hardware the Fujitsu Ten is packing?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
Most Kenwoods, Pioneers, etc run on Windows CE. I haven't seen anything over 533Mhz for an SoC on them.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #25
soconfoozed

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT WR Blue Pearl
Nearly everything I can see here is just nauseating. I don't understand how everybody in this space continues to eff this problem up so spectacularly. Who, who looks at this stuff and goes "this is it. This is what we need to ship. It's perfect. Beautiful and holy in all ways. We're going to change the world." Are you kidding me?! It's horrendous! And in such obvious ways, too. But for some reason, people just tolerate it.

Where's the designer at these companies? Who's there to enforce good taste? Where's the voice that says "this is garbage."

I hate these.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #26
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soconfoozed View Post
Nearly everything I can see here is just nauseating. I don't understand how everybody in this space continues to eff this problem up so spectacularly. Who, who looks at this stuff and goes "this is it. This is what we need to ship. It's perfect. Beautiful and holy in all ways. We're going to change the world." Are you kidding me?! It's horrendous! And in such obvious ways, too. But for some reason, people just tolerate it.

Where's the designer at these companies? Who's there to enforce good taste? Where's the voice that says "this is garbage."

I hate these.
lol what are you talking about? Did someone enjoy happy hour in front of the keyboard yesterday? haha.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
Trashed675

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
lol what are you talking about? Did someone enjoy happy hour in front of the keyboard yesterday? haha.
+1
Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashed675 View Post
+1
Apparently his SN says it all LOL