follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #323
msaikhan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Drives: frs
Location: arlingtong va
Posts: 123
Thanks: 24
Thanked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John557 View Post
Had it done back in January and noticed a noise as soon as I got my car back. Took it back in and they just said the technician didn't tighten a motor mount all the way, was confused but said alright and the sound seemed to almost go away. Except it got louder and louder the next 2 weeks where I took it in again. They are trying to say my motor mounts went bad from just normal wear and tear. And they wanted $675 to replace them. Well screw that, found both mounts for $76, replaced them 2 days ago to find that they put in the passenger side mount on backwards somehow, they literally must have forced it on, and it failed within 20 miles of leaving the dealership. I just got off the phone with corporate who is saying theres nothing they can do, the dealership already has their stance on it. I find this aggravating because thats just some crappy customer service.
I would've taken it back when you saw the engine mount was backwards and return the mounts you bought.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #324
squall leonhart
kuro kitsune
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Location: Indiana
Posts: 73
Thanks: 32
Thanked 45 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This whole thing is just getting depressing.

Part of me just wants to trade the car at this point. I had looked forward to getting one of these for YEARS. And 5 months after I finally get one, they announce this recall. Then Toyota is apparently unable to fulfill the recall properly, and it seems they don't want to stand by their work or take responsibility for stuff that obviously was caused by their mechanics.

Ugh.
__________________
2013 Scion FR-S Raven - 6 speed manual
2000 Toyota Celica GT-S - 6 speed manual
1967 Datsun Sports 1600 Roadster - 4 speed manual
R.I.P. - the one that started it all (for me) 1986 Toyota Celica ST - 5 speed manual
Fondly missed: ST165, ST185 & AE86
squall leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #325
srt4evah
Initial G
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 13 FR-S, 15 BMW 228i
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 122
Thanks: 12
Thanked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here are a couple shots that were shared on my local 86 Facebook group.
Attached Images
  
__________________
2013 FR-S
2015 BMW 228i
srt4evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #326
8RZ
The Gunshine State
 
8RZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,354
Thanks: 577
Thanked 1,052 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
^ RIP Venom.
__________________
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #327
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 54,351
Thanks: 48,432
Thanked 75,122 Times in 34,114 Posts
Mentioned: 1995 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall leonhart View Post
This whole thing is just getting depressing.

Part of me just wants to trade the car at this point. I had looked forward to getting one of these for YEARS. And 5 months after I finally get one, they announce this recall. Then Toyota is apparently unable to fulfill the recall properly, and it seems they don't want to stand by their work or take responsibility for stuff that obviously was caused by their mechanics.

Ugh.
Toyota is not the issue. The dealers are. The techs do not work for Toyota even though that is the sign above the door. Please do not confuse the two.
I have not checked the totals lately but last time I did there were only two of the 35 failures that had been flat out refused repairs. Both of those were modified (or the dealer claimed they were) cars. There were 10 that had new engines done and the rest had either not taken the car back yet or were awaiting word. At that point (last week) the majority of the dealers where indeed taking responsibility and doing the right thing. We also have no idea how many successful recalls have been done since those people rarely speak up.
If you really want to ditch the car but love the model then sell that one and buy a 14+. There is zero indication that the later models have any issues. This is a classic case of beware of first model year cars.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Teseo (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #328
Chimera
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FRS
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,181
Thanks: 575
Thanked 288 Times in 214 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Toyota is not the issue. The dealers are. The techs do not work for Toyota even though that is the sign above the door. Please do not confuse the two.
I have not checked the totals lately but last time I did there were only two of the 35 failures that had been flat out refused repairs. Both of those were modified (or the dealer claimed they were) cars. There were 10 that had new engines done and the rest had either not taken the car back yet or were awaiting word. At that point (last week) the majority of the dealers where indeed taking responsibility and doing the right thing. We also have no idea how many successful recalls have been done since those people rarely speak up.
If you really want to ditch the car but love the model then sell that one and buy a 14+. There is zero indication that the later models have any issues. This is a classic case of beware of first model year cars.
Stresses me out b/c my car is e85 tuned. My dealer seems cool with it but who knows if they refuse to help me b/c of that right?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #329
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 54,351
Thanks: 48,432
Thanked 75,122 Times in 34,114 Posts
Mentioned: 1995 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Stresses me out b/c my car is e85 tuned. My dealer seems cool with it but who knows if they refuse to help me b/c of that right?
Unfortunately it does give them an excuse. Of course if it came down to court action they would have to prove that the mod is related to the failure. If an engine fails due to oil starvation it is pretty hard to say it was the fuel type.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #330
DarkPira7e
Handin' out 1 Deags
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 13 Firestorm Red FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 995
Thanks: 538
Thanked 701 Times in 390 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall leonhart View Post
This whole thing is just getting depressing.

Part of me just wants to trade the car at this point. I had looked forward to getting one of these for YEARS. And 5 months after I finally get one, they announce this recall. Then Toyota is apparently unable to fulfill the recall properly, and it seems they don't want to stand by their work or take responsibility for stuff that obviously was caused by their mechanics.

Ugh.
If the car runs fine, I imagine it will keep running fine, just don't participate in the recall. here's really no reason to, unless you're in California. If the valve springs fail, then you're bringing it in and it's covered anyway. If I could go back, I'd avoid it like the plague, my car was completely fine and would've been.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
caus (03-19-2019), Dadhawk (03-19-2019), humfrz (03-19-2019), Rampage (03-19-2019), Summerwolf (03-19-2019), Tcoat (03-19-2019), Teseo (03-19-2019), Ultramaroon (03-20-2019), why? (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #331
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 21,371
Thanks: 15,427
Thanked 18,832 Times in 10,445 Posts
Mentioned: 499 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
If the car runs fine, I imagine it will keep running fine, just don't participate in the recall. here's really no reason to, unless you're in California. If the valve springs fail, then you're bringing it in and it's covered anyway. If I could go back, I'd avoid it like the plague, my car was completely fine and would've been.
That's my thinking as well.

There is only about three people on this forum I would trust to rebuild the engine in my FR-S - and I ain't all that sure of two of them -





humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-20-2019), why? (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #332
WNDSRFR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: FR-S,GTI
Location: Cocoa, Florida
Posts: 571
Thanks: 136
Thanked 379 Times in 182 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where is this part located in the engine? I was wondering if somehow this screen could be inspected with the engine intact? Maybe put a borescope up the oil drain hole? Or maybe the fill hole? Or maybe the dipstick hole. There's got to be a way to verify that the sealant isn't floating around freely. Without taking it apart or blowing it up.
Attached Images
 
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #333
DarkPira7e
Handin' out 1 Deags
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 13 Firestorm Red FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 995
Thanks: 538
Thanked 701 Times in 390 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Where is this part located in the engine? I was wondering if somehow this screen could be inspected with the engine intact? Maybe put a borescope up the oil drain hole? Or maybe the fill hole? Or maybe the dipstick hole. There's got to be a way to verify that the sealant isn't floating around freely. Without taking it apart or blowing it up.
This is the oil pickup from the pan.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #334
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno
 
Summerwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: 2014 Wrb limited
Location: North Indiana
Posts: 3,026
Thanks: 1,810
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,176 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Where is this part located in the engine? I was wondering if somehow this screen could be inspected with the engine intact? Maybe put a borescope up the oil drain hole? Or maybe the fill hole? Or maybe the dipstick hole. There's got to be a way to verify that the sealant isn't floating around freely. Without taking it apart or blowing it up.
You'll need to drop the oil pan.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #335
DarkSideFRS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Location: Socal
Posts: 305
Thanks: 9
Thanked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
jesus, i wonder if the dealer would blame a recall failure on my aftermarket inlet tube....
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #336
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 54,351
Thanks: 48,432
Thanked 75,122 Times in 34,114 Posts
Mentioned: 1995 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
jesus, i wonder if the dealer would blame a recall failure on my aftermarket inlet tube....
Is it a silicone one? If so you are screwed.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
brz, failure, frs, j02, recall

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registry Thread: Failure After J02 Recall DarkPira7e Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 293 Today 01:20 AM
Is the fad threads ruining our fad threads? Andrew025 Off-Topic Lounge 12 10-04-2017 09:12 PM
CV Joint Failure and Differential Failure AreteAuto Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 26 06-16-2015 05:18 PM
BRZ or FRS (yes, another one of those threads) lisaaaxo FR-S / BRZ vs.... 19 04-11-2015 02:44 PM
Vs. threads.... TwinscrollGT35R FR-S / BRZ vs.... 34 05-22-2012 08:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.