follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2018, 01:42 AM   #99
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I adjusted my clutch engagement point at around 5K miles, and I'm approaching 75K miles now. My clutch has been squeaky for the last 30-40K miles, but nothing's failed yet. We'll see how much longer it holds up.
If the part has been squeaking for the past 30-40K miles, it most likely the clutch fork is dry. It will probably hold up longer than your nerves will by listening to it ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #100
Ragin Gti

Drives: '15 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sounds like Toyota's warranty sucks. Subaru covers TOB 5 years/60,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ragin Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #101
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
If the part has been squeaking for the past 30-40K miles, it most likely the clutch fork is dry. It will probably hold up longer than your nerves will by listening to it ......

humfrz
It can keep squeaking for the next 100K miles as long as it doesn't break lol
I'm not gonna mess with it until it leaves me stranded by the roadside. My headers, intake, and stereo usually drowns out most noises anyway.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reeves For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #102
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
It can keep squeaking for the next 100K miles as long as it doesn't break lol
I'm not gonna mess with it until it leaves me stranded by the roadside. My headers, intake, and stereo usually drowns out most noises anyway.
If it is just squeaking due to dry fork that is fine. If squeaking because it is going you are in for a rude surprise when it does. It changes things from a couple of hundred bucks for a simple bearing replacement to a couple of thousand for a whole ne clutch and flywheel.
I figured it was OK to wait as well.
Big mistake. Big big mistake
Attached Images

Beachin86 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #103
Beachin86

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
If it is just squeaking due to dry fork that is fine. If squeaking because it is going you are in for a rude surprise when it does. It changes things from a couple of hundred bucks for a simple bearing replacement to a couple of thousand for a whole ne clutch and flywheel.
I figured it was OK to wait as well.
Big mistake. Big big mistake
I was gonna say.... Reeves must have bearings for balls and willing to part with one when the TOB goes!

Seriously Reeves, if it's the TOB, get it swapped before it explodes and leaves parts in your clutch and flywheel.
Beachin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #104
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanks for the warning.. I'll post pics if it ever blows up.
All joking aside though, I'm sure it's just a dry fork. I don't hear all the 'extra' noises that other people are hearing when the clutch is depressed/not pressed.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #105
jacjac3

Drives: WRB BRZ
My TOB is squealing like crazy right now. I'm going to be replacing the clutch, flywheel and TOB. I was going to replace it with the Exedy OEM clutch and noticed that it already came with a TOB. Should I use the Exedy part or order the subaru part in the TSB?
jacjac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #106
Beachin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjac3 View Post
My TOB is squealing like crazy right now. I'm going to be replacing the clutch, flywheel and TOB. I was going to replace it with the Exedy OEM clutch and noticed that it already came with a TOB. Should I use the Exedy part or order the subaru part in the TSB?
I wouldn't use Exedy's as you can't tell what part # it is or whether or not it has the more heat-resistant grease that the newer TOBs have. I also bought the Exedy OEM clutch but had Toyota use theirs for the peace of mind that it won't melt on me.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #107
jacjac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachin86 View Post
I wouldn't use Exedy's as you can't tell what part # it is or whether or not it has the more heat-resistant grease that the newer TOBs have. I also bought the Exedy OEM clutch but had Toyota use theirs for the peace of mind that it won't melt on me.
R u pretty happy with the exedy + updated OEM TOB?
Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #108
Beachin86

Quote:
R u pretty happy with the exedy + updated OEM TOB?
I think I might have worded my post the wrong way and confused you. I didn't use Exedy's. I didn't trust it since there's no part #. With regard to the TOB issue, the older one didn't have grease strong enough to withstand the heat, so it would break down over time, and the TOB would melt down or even worse break into pieces. Once Toyota and Subaru fessed up to it, they released a newer TOB with better grease to withstand the heat.

You'll want to use the new TOB that Sub/Yota released, not the Exedy one. Or else you might risk another bad TOB. To answer your question, I'm VERY happy with the new TOB I got (Toyota's, but identical to Subaru's). The car hasn't felt this great since I bought it. I bought the car used, so I'm sure the previous owner messed up the clutch and I didn't have it long before the TOB started going out. I had less than 10k miles of ownership, the ODO was at 35k when the TOB started acting up.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Beachin86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #109
jacjac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachin86 View Post
I think I might have worded my post the wrong way and confused you. I didn't use Exedy's. I didn't trust it since there's no part #. With regard to the TOB issue, the older one didn't have grease strong enough to withstand the heat, so it would break down over time, and the TOB would melt down or even worse break into pieces. Once Toyota and Subaru fessed up to it, they released a newer TOB with better grease to withstand the heat.

You'll want to use the new TOB that Sub/Yota released, not the Exedy one. Or else you might risk another bad TOB. To answer your question, I'm VERY happy with the new TOB I got (Toyota's, but identical to Subaru's). The car hasn't felt this great since I bought it. I bought the car used, so I'm sure the previous owner messed up the clutch and I didn't have it long before the TOB started going out. I had less than 10k miles of ownership, the ODO was at 35k when the TOB started acting up.)
Ah ic. Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I'll be getting the Toyota TOB for my brz, as well as the OEM clutch and flywheel. Can't wait to finally get rid of all the squeaking from the clutch fork and TOB.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #110
lin

Drives: 13 BRZ
I also bought the Exedy OEM clutch kit, which also came with a TOB that the vendors could not provide a part number for. I decided to buy the revised TOB part from Subaru, and comparing the Exedy and Subaru TOBs side by side I can say that they look pretty much identical but the Subaru bearing spun a little more smoothly and the finish on the steel parts was higher quality. Exedy TOB was made in China, Subaru TOB was made in Japan.

I had the Exedy clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel installed with the Subaru TOB. It’s been about 5 months and 9000 miles since then and I have been happy with the performance of the Exedy clutch. It took a while to break in and get the same engagement feel as before. The clutch fork squeak started again recently but that seems about normal on this transmission...
lin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lin For This Useful Post:
Beachin86 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #111
Beachin86

Quote:
Ah ic. Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I'll be getting the Toyota TOB for my brz, as well as the OEM clutch and flywheel. Can't wait to finally get rid of all the squeaking from the clutch fork and TOB.
Just be sure to take it easy on the new clutch during the break-in period. No hard pulls for a good 500 miles! You also might find yourself burning the new one a bit at first. I could NOT get used to it and was burning every time I engaged it. I ended up taking off the clutch spring like so many had recommended before. I knew about it for a while but never felt I needed to until I got the new clutch. The moment I took it out, I stopped burning the clutch. The spring takes away a lot of feedback that you would get from the clutch. There's a DIY on in the DIY sub-forum. Good luck on the new TOB!
The Following User Says Thank You to Beachin86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-16-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #112
Deorio

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
I am currently diagnosing my problem with the clutch. I believe it’s the TOB that’s giving out but I cant be sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Whenever I shift, there is a very quiet grinding noise when I push in the clutch and when I release the clutch. I am able to feel a very slight feedback in the clutch pedal between every shift that was not there a few thousand klicks ago. It's weird because the noise will get more audible as the engine warms up. I won't even be able to hear the grinding the first few minutes driving around when the engine is cold. Absolutely no squeaks with the clutch actuation and no sounds when the car is sitting idle or when I rev the engine at a standstill. I'm at about 90k km or 55k miles.
Deorio is offline   Reply With Quote