follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
hushypushy
ビーアールゼット

Drives: WRB BRZ '18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2018 BRZ -- Head unit won't turn on after iOS 13.0 Carplay. How to reset?

I have a 2018 BRZ. Last Thursday (9/19) I downloaded the new iOS 13.0 to my iPhone 7 Plus. On the way home from work, the new CarPlay was great!

I parked the car, turned it off, and a few minutes later I went to visit my mom, and...the entire head unit was completely unresponsive; it wouldn't turn on. It would light up with the interior lights, but that's it.

When I drove home, the head unit turned back on. So I assumed it had just rebooted itself. And of course I just plugged my phone back in and used CarPlay again.

Next day, I drove to work and the head unit would not turn on. Since then, I've driven the car several times and it still won't turn on.

When the lights are on, the unit seems to reset every minute or so--the lights briefly turn off and then back on again. Also, if I connect my phone to USB it sporadically disconnects and reconnects. So it seems like it's constantly rebooting.

I've disconnected the battery twice, once for 30 seconds and the other time for about an hour. The cluster settings (rev light, etc) were reset, but the head unit still remains blank.

Any suggestions?

(and yes, I know it's under warranty, but if I can reset something myself in a few minutes that would save everyone a lot of time)
Old 09-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
I have a 2018 BRZ. Last Thursday (9/19) I downloaded the new iOS 13.0 to my iPhone 7 Plus. On the way home from work, the new CarPlay was great!

I parked the car, turned it off, and a few minutes later I went to visit my mom, and...the entire head unit was completely unresponsive; it wouldn't turn on. It would light up with the interior lights, but that's it.

When I drove home, the head unit turned back on. So I assumed it had just rebooted itself. And of course I just plugged my phone back in and used CarPlay again.

Next day, I drove to work and the head unit would not turn on. Since then, I've driven the car several times and it still won't turn on.

When the lights are on, the unit seems to reset every minute or so--the lights briefly turn off and then back on again. Also, if I connect my phone to USB it sporadically disconnects and reconnects. So it seems like it's constantly rebooting.

I've disconnected the battery twice, once for 30 seconds and the other time for about an hour. The cluster settings (rev light, etc) were reset, but the head unit still remains blank.

Any suggestions?

(and yes, I know it's under warranty, but if I can reset something myself in a few minutes that would save everyone a lot of time)
These head units are prone to this. My wife's 17 Impreza has been in 7 times for it.

There is a current recall for the 18s
https://subaru.oemdtc.com/1142/wtz-8...cy-outback-brz
wparsons (10-30-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
I've disconnected the battery twice, once for 30 seconds and the other time for about an hour.

Disconnect the battery and tap the brake. Any juice left in the system will "exit" through the brake lights. How's that for saving time
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
wparsons (10-30-2019)