follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2023, 04:50 PM   #1
OfficeLinebacker

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 Base AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question What are the best standalone thermostatic oil sandwich plates for oil coolers?

The internal threads in my mocal are stripped so I need a new sandwich plate.

The Greddy looks good but I'd rather be able to use the OEM filter than have to source a special filter to change oil.

I like the 45 degree angle adapters for the oil lines because it makes it much easier to clear the air box.

I'd also like a higher set point for the thermostat since it's a daily driver and I'd rather not block off the grill in the winter

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
OfficeLinebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 05:14 PM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
This one doesn't have a 45 degree adapter but the price and quality are good. Uses stock oil filters

https://www.savageautoworks.shop/pro...e-adapter-an10

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 02:21 PM   #3
gnarjunkie

Drives: '23 GR86, '17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Setrab one is nice and you can swap out the fittings to 45 degree ones.
Personally I like that more than the Greddy style, those ones just seem like they wouldn't flow as well having ports that are capped at the ends.

I know Mocal used to make a plate that opened at 200F, but I'm not sure if it's still around. Regardless, even when I had the 200F version, I had to block off the cooler in the winter. You'll always get some oil flow through the lines and I still found it hard to get up to proper temp with the cooler uncovered.

It's incredibly easy though... I just went and bought a thin $1 plastic cutting board from Walmart, trimmed it to the size of the cooler, and ziptied it on. Lasted multiple winters and worked very well even once I went to a 180F thermostat.
gnarjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:47 PM   #4
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Somebody on this forum mentioned a aeronautical company that has a thermostat valve the will allow no flow when cold to recirculate oil until it is warm. This is unlike automotive designs that still allow some oil through even when cold. I would love to see an application like that for our cars.
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:34 PM   #5
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
Somebody on this forum mentioned a aeronautical company that has a thermostat valve the will allow no flow when cold to recirculate oil until it is warm. This is unlike automotive designs that still allow some oil through even when cold. I would love to see an application like that for our cars.
Most Companies offer a thermostatic adapter. I have the Jackson Racing kit and I like it. It is also Thermostatic and uses the stock filter.
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 09:29 PM   #6
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMChris View Post
Most Companies offer a thermostatic adapter. I have the Jackson Racing kit and I like it. It is also Thermostatic and uses the stock filter.
Yes I understand that, but this one was different. When below the threshold of temperature it was fully closed so the oil didn't even go through the cooler. It looped back to the engine.
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 08:39 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's a great way for cold oil to hit hot components, when the plate does open.

Thermal shock is not your friend.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 10:02 AM   #8
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Oil takes the least path of resistance. When in bypass mode there is little to no oil that will flow through the cooler. In fact just the opposite on certain aircraft piston engine oil coolers. They always force some oil through the cooler. if not the oil would get to cold in the cooler and not flow when needed.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil cooler, sandwich plate, thermostat