follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #85
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

08/30/2014 Buttonwillow Raceway 13 CW Saturday
See you there.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #86
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Changing throttle/pedal relationship doesn't eliminate turbo spoolup
Then I'm using my terms wrong. I'm not the one who broached the idea originally, but the basic premise seemed sound.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #87
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Were the fans running when that melting occurred?
Of course! It was also like 35-45F ambient ( I dont remember the exact temp, but it was cool), and the melting occurred after 3 laps.

Do keep in mind, however, that our fan melting problem only happens in the winter, and is isolated to this specific car, but we've melted fans multiple times.

Although I can't say 100%, I'm 99% sure if I had driven any turbo kit of this style on the same day in the same fashion, we would have melted fans on the other cars as well.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #88
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
It's called a search feature.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

Edit (now that I'm on a desktop instead of on Tapatalk's limited platform): I apologize for the above. I finally found the chart, but it took a) knowing it definitely existed, and b) searching for the "thanked" posts of the tuner (b/c "posts by user" maxed out before the posting date of this post). So, it would have been incredibly difficult to find. It was effectively buried in the forum.

The 200 whp on E85 you're referring to was done by Shiv on a dynojet (iirc. may have been a mustang), and it was 207 rwhp. Here is the post with 200 whp on a mustang dyno on 91 octane pump gas in AZ.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1549
I would never run that much timing advance on 91 octane. May look good for the dyno but useless for sustained track sessions.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #89
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
I would never run that much timing advance on 91 octane. May look good for the dyno but useless for sustained track sessions.
It's not an unsafe amount of timing, but it was pushing it. The owner of the car is a cone dodger more than a track junkie, so it wouldn't be subjected to long term high rpm conditions like on a track, and the owner is willing to eventually blow up his motor and then build a block.

But, the tuning has gotten better since this, so it's not so risky. I'm having my tuner still be reasonably conservative, and he's confident I'll score between 190-200 whp on the mustang dyno. Considering all the testing he's done in the months in between on various 86's here in AZ, he's been figuring out quite a bit and making good power on these cars on pump gas without getting unsafe.

Then again, most of us are street driving these cars, not setting them up for hard track useage.

The point is, it's very possible to get 200 whp on 91 pump gas in NA. Add FI, dial in a bit more conservative timing for safety (on the FI tune), and you're easily getting LOTS more power available safely for track if you're able to keep the heat down.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 04-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #90
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Sure. Compare the complexity of the Jackson Racing kit and the Kraftwerks kit. One adds onto the crank pulley, while the other only adds two idlers.

When you look at the kits from a failure analysis perspective, you can see why our decision was easy.

We're tired of losing engines; failure prevention is absolutely top priority.
I didn't mean to compare the JR and the KW kits. I thought you were talking about turbo and supercharger kits.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #91
icemang17

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
the least important thing a "track car" needs is HP....most any modern car has plenty.... The most cost effective way to drop lap times is improve the driver

The LEAST cost effective way to drop lap times is to buy more hp...which unforunately is usually the 1st thing drivers do
icemang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to icemang17 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-28-2014), FearBoy (04-30-2014), tahdizzle (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #92
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
That's the worst suggestion I've seen in this thread by a LARGE margin...
Why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #93
car_roll

Drives: Nuisance BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Why?

The area of the windshield wiper cowl is a high pressure zone. Allowing air to enter through that area allows pressure to build up behind the radiator, which in turn means the radiator won't be as efficient (the radiator works off of pressure differential between the front and back of the radiator). This is assuming that the pressure at the cowl is greater than the pressure under the hood. If the pressure under the hood is greater than the pressure at the cowl (which in most cases it isn't), then yes removing the cowl will help.
car_roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #94
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_roll View Post
The area of the windshield wiper cowl is a high pressure zone. Allowing air to enter through that area allows pressure to build up behind the radiator, which in turn means the radiator won't be as efficient (the radiator works off of pressure differential between the front and back of the radiator). This is assuming that the pressure at the cowl is greater than the pressure under the hood. If the pressure under the hood is greater than the pressure at the cowl (which in most cases it isn't), then yes removing the cowl will help.
I was always under the impression that was a low pressure area and team VCMC took theirs out and reported massive temp drops.

The Frozen North
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished

Last edited by Dipstik-sportech; 04-28-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #95
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
It is a low pressure area.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:13 PM   #96
car_roll

Drives: Nuisance BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
I was always under the impression that was a low pressure area and team VCMC took theirs out and reported massive temp drops.

The Frozen North
Did they have a drop in Intake temps or Coolant temps? Because I can definitely see a drop in intake temps with a removed cowl. As for coolant temps...See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
It is a low pressure area.

Here's a CFD pressure plot of a miata, courtesy of Rob Robinette

Notice the small high pressure spot where the cowl should be. It may not be a frs/brz, but it should possess the same characteristic. That being said, removing the windshield wiper cowl will help reduce coolant temps IF and ONLY IF the pressure under the hood is greater than at the cowl. It should, however, help reduce intake air temps.
car_roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #97
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
What would be helpful would be a cfd pressure plot of inside the engine bay of a FI'd 86 to get an idea of how much of a pressure drop there is over the radiator & where the air is flowing to.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 04-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #98
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
This has some pressure charts.

Related links:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48283
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...01#post1249401

So, as most of you know I have been building and tweaking my rear diffuser model for a few months now. Some experiments with success, others with failure.

I love our automotive community and would rather help foster growth and success from within, instead of looking to outside sources for work, technology and effort. So, I contacted @plucas from Hancha Group, who is not only a part of our community but also an owner and enthusiast of our platform. Hancha builds a couple parts for us and are working on more. They are in the same boat as me, they love what they do and are working to get better.

Anyhow, the moment many people have been waiting for. Hancha uses a 3D model that they are continuing to build more and more detail into. It isn't complete. This data is not 100% fact, it is meant as a function to show where and how my diffuser functions in an environmental simulation. It provide graphical representation which I can back with real world accounts that reinforce the data.

Would I love to be able to get into a wind tunnel? Yes. Would I love to run the model in UNC's engineering computers? Yes. Can I afford any of that shit? No. So if any millionaires have complaints about the testing data, feel free to paypal me some cash, because the government doesn't even want to pay me my check right now.

Without further ado.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1245x933.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 993x925.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1247x931.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1245x933.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1243x931.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1247x935.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike the snake For This Useful Post:
FearBoy (04-30-2014), hmong337 (04-30-2014), tg_1981 (04-30-2014)