follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Lane splitting?

Whats your guys take on motorcycle lane splitting. 90% are idiots imho just as civic drivers in my 101 and hwy 1 area [CA].

I support lane splitting below 45mph. Anything over it I deem stupid. Especially when you are driving in your lane perfect in middle going around semi at 65-75mph and biker floors it to squish between you two, so either:

1) you move to the left to open space
2) Let him suicide under you or semi.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I like to lane split in my BRZ

Tokyo Drift Style
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdmblood For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (08-05-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I say just 2.
The only reason you move to the left is for bicycles. On the highway stay on your ducking line!!
Always be aware of your surroundings.
Always use your turn signals.
Point and laugh when anyone eats shit or gets pulled over.

If they annoy you let them pass and you'll won't see them again. Don't be the retard that goes 65 on the right lane.

If you see a few cars passing you on the right, get the hint, move the duck over!

NorCal has the worst drivers ever.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
AdrianSaldana (08-05-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:36 PM   #4
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I only used to split lanes in slow/stopped traffic and even then, only cruised by cars 5-10 mph faster than them. i didn't trust myself to react quickly enough to someone changing lanes in front of me to ride any faster. i'd split lanes on the freeway, once in a while, but also very cautiously. when i used to ride in the carpool lane, i'd move over for other bikers zooming past. i was obviously too slow for them.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:15 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
I think lane splitting is a bad idea.

I did lane splitting once ...... on a 10 speed bicycle, going about 30 mph, on the OSU campus ...... when this ass hole sitting traffic, opened his door.

Yep, I used to be bullet proof ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (08-07-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 04:59 AM   #6
Norcalft86

Drives: 2015 Fr-s, ninja 300, ep3, 98 rolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Most of the time I only lane split at speeds under 55mph. If I do pass you at a higher speed it's just to get around you. I prefer to move faster than traffic because I hate to be a sitting duck. But I won't do that shit if I don't feel it's safe. I feel like I'm responsible about it. I personally think people and their cellphones is a bigger concern than people splitting lanes. We are a small percentage compared to the amount of cars on the road but the amount of people on cellphones is ridiculous and is dangerous to both cars and motorcycles. Just like everyone group of people there are jerks. Not all motorcyclist ride wrecklessly. Also not all civic drivers are annoying. I own a ep3 and I mind my own business. Maybe the stress of traffic is causing you to stress out about silly stuff.
Norcalft86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norcalft86 For This Useful Post:
AdrianSaldana (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 05:43 AM   #7
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
I don't do it because...
A) It's not legal where I live.
2) I've seen people in cars get pissed and wave their arms around/throw the middle finger out whenever someone else does lane split. I'm afraid one of these days some idiot is going to purposely hurt someone because their poor ego was bruised for no reason.

I know it's technically "safer", but I don't trust the drivers around here enough to do it.
I just stop to one side and give myself a decent amount of space to the car in front of me.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #8
jarnojvv

Drives: 86|Fortuner|FJ|Mustang|SwiftSport
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Legal in RSA, and perfectly fine as long as the speeds are low (sub 30mph).
Old 08-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
AdrianSaldana
That Guy

Drives: Fast and Hard
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
stay the fook off the passing lane and you wont have to get lane splitted. simple as that. i absolutely rage when i see two cars side by side and not letting anyone pass. foh

DD: 2007 Suzuki Sv650
Weekend Car: 1969 Chevelle
Summer/Weekend Car: 2014 BRZ
AdrianSaldana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianSaldana For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I ride a bike where lane splitting is illegal.

IMO it should be legal, but only at a stop light so the rider can move to the front of the pack of cars. Other possible situation where I think lane splitting could be legal is during an extreme traffic jam. Say there is an accident on the highway and traffic is crawling or basically stopped, then the rider should be allow to split lanes but travel no faster than 15kmh faster than the traffic.

I think in these situations, splitting puts no one in danger.

In all other situations there is a higher level of risk which begins to put the rider and other traffic in danger.
CBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
It's legal here in CA.

I'm not a fan of it, nor would I ever do it. However, if I'm sitting in stop and go traffic and I see a bike coming up behind me splitting the lane, I kindly move over a bit to give him more space. It's just the curteous thing to do, not to mention, it decreases the chance of the biker accidentally clipping my mirror or something. I also respect the riders who I move over for, and they oblige with a thumbs up as they drive by. It's nice to see them notice and appreciate the gesture.

I'm fine with it in that scenario, but I can't stand the guys that cut through at blazing speeds. They're just asking to die... And then they have the audacity to go home and complain about how every accident between a car and a motorcyclist is the fault of the car driver.

I've owned a few bikes, and I just don't trust people enough on the streets to lane split. I'd rather wait and get home 20 minutes later, than get cutoff and possibly not go home at all.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (08-08-2016), EAGLE5 (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
I ride a bike where lane splitting is illegal.

IMO it should be legal, but only at a stop light so the rider can move to the front of the pack of cars. Other possible situation where I think lane splitting could be legal is during an extreme traffic jam. Say there is an accident on the highway and traffic is crawling or basically stopped, then the rider should be allow to split lanes but travel no faster than 15kmh faster than the traffic.

I think in these situations, splitting puts no one in danger.

In all other situations there is a higher level of risk which begins to put the rider and other traffic in danger.

What is so special about a guy on a bike that they should be able to move forward past everybody else?
Bikers preach share the road and treat us as vehicles until such time as it is more convenient to them to not be a vehicle like everybody else.
Two lanes should mean two vehicles not three if I can squeeze between you.
cdrazic93 (08-07-2016), pushrod (08-07-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #13
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
What is so special about a guy on a bike that they should be able to move forward past everybody else?
Bikers preach share the road and treat us as vehicles until such time as it is more convenient to them to not be a vehicle like everybody else.

When I say "bike" I mean my Honda CBR600RR. and the point of splitting lanes at a traffic light is to get out front and zip away from traffic. Its safer for me and safer for other drivers. Plus it removes me from traffic; therefore, alleviating traffic congestion (very minutely)

Same goes for stop and go traffic.

I get the sense that you thought I was talking about a cyclist, if so I agree. A cyclist has no need to be out front when the light turns green. They would just be putting themselves in more danger I think.
CBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR600RR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #14
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ostensibly it's for the biker's safety and decluttering of traffic flow. Because people don't look around when they're sitting in traffic and inching forward, bikes in the line of cars can get hit. And since they can depart so much quicker than most cars, they should get out in front where they're away from dumbass drivers and at less risk of being overlooked and run over.

Also for cooling. An air cooled motorcycle or water cooled motorcycle with a tiny radiator and no fan sitting in traffic on the 405 in Los Angeles will overheat very quickly. And if the rider is wearing all their gear like they're supposed to, they'll overheat quickly as well. It gets HOT just sitting on a freeway under the sun.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-05-2016)