follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #71
jtice

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to jtice Send a message via AIM to jtice Send a message via Yahoo to jtice
Something else to think about, with a "low" HP car.......

Lets say the BRZ, or any other car, had 500HP.
Its gonna haul ass right? Sure, Its gonna throw you back in the seat, its going to add some fun factor to it.
BUT....... would you ever REALLY be able to ring it out? Really use all the revs and run it HARD?
Certainly not on the street.
Dont get me wrong, I would love to have the power to he able to step the ass end out on command easily.
But there are other aspects to driving that are fun.

I know there have to be others like me, and know where I am coming from.
That there is a certain fun factor to being able to completely ring a car out, to really run the piss out of it. Without going a highly illegal or dangerous speed.
jtice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jtice For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-17-2018), kb3dow (04-17-2018), krayzie (04-17-2018), Rai-zero (04-17-2018), Spuds (04-17-2018), Tcoat (04-17-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #72
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice View Post

Its gonna haul ass right? Sure, Its gonna throw you back in the seat, its going to add some fun factor to it.
BUT....... would you ever REALLY be able to ring it out? Really use all the revs and run it HARD?
Dont get me wrong, I would love to have the power to he able to step the ass end out on command easily.

That there is a certain fun factor to being able to completely ring a car out, to really run the piss out of it. Without going a highly illegal or dangerous speed.
They should have used that as a selling pitch...

FR-S/BRZ the car you can have a BLAST in WITHOUT killing yourself!!
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Rai-zero (04-17-2018), Tcoat (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #73
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

This is the main reason why my BRZ is more fun than my 450hp BMW was. I could never really wring it out. In the twins the limits are much more accessible, and I don't have to look around all paranoid after I redline 2nd gear on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #74
Rai-zero

Drives: Legacy
When you have a speedy quick car you hit the speed limit in like 4-5 seconds so your are no longer accelerating you are just driving fast. As we’ve proven the BRZ can drive fast iirc something like 140 MPH. But you can enjoy the experience of acceleration longer with car like BRZ.

Note I’m not saying super slow or anything would be even better. I mean a 99 hp BRZ would not be even better you need a baseline of adequate acceleration probably something on the order of 6-7 seconds to 60 mph is adequate.

I also owned a 1.9L 138hp Z3 but that car was more frustrating being out run by most cars. That car was not light weight like the MX-5 so it couldn’t just make do with a weak engine, it needed more power, was usually 8.2 seconds to 60 mph.

I’m sure there are people to say the 1.9L Z3 was adequate quick but to me was not really enough.
Rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #75
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

The majority are like you. The ones that want massive HP are a minority but they are so vocal they seem like the majority.
krayzie (04-17-2018), lantsalot (04-17-2018), rvoll (04-17-2018), Spuds (04-17-2018), strat61caster (04-17-2018), why? (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #76
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
would you ever REALLY be able to ring it out?
*wring
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
JSube (05-27-2018), Tcoat (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #77
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
*wring
strat61caster (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #78
Rai-zero

Drives: Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The majority are like you. The ones that want massive HP are a minority but they are so vocal they seem like the majority.
Plus people usually think they are better at everything than average. I mean the majority of people think they are better than average drivers. The point being more likely you or me are just average drivers. We’re not Chris Harris type or Randy Pobst. So we end up with ass clowns who can’t handle their cars like Mustang drivers leaving cars and coffee.

With a BRZ (IMO) you’re better able to catch the car before you do something stupid.

I’m not any great driver but I’ll still feel my BRZ get a touch slippery at the rear but the tires will scrub for second and that’s the end of it. But with Mustangs you may be having to do a lot more corrections in a lot smaller window. I’d imagine the same with Corvettes or 911s and any bigger hp car out there.
Rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #79
SCQTT
ZWEI KOLBEN

Drives: 2017 86 Halo 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Us motorcycle guys say it all the time. It is more fun to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike.

Most people talk HP, but torque is the part that satisfies.

Personally I would not like this car for city or urban driving and I try to avoid interstates/freeways. I bought it because it is lightweight and "tossable". Low CG and excellent in transitions because of it. It is designed to be low mass at a reasonable price and size. A cheap Lotus that is a little easier to live with because its a little bigger.

If I lived in town and was going to buy a DD in a state with snow I'd buy a WRX. The turbo will give you that satisfying grunt and make it less work to drive. It will be heavy compared to a twin, but it will be easier to live with on a daily basis.......unless you are REALLY addicted to purity of a lightweight, stiff, coupe.
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SCQTT For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #80
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

of course this is the most logical mentality but many, if not most, "enthusiasts" will never admit this...they will always claim they need the fastest, biggest, strongest, etc. I'm fine with that though, I love watching YT clips of people pulling the biggest fails in their Mustangs & Corvettes
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #81
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

If I had a Corvette, or a 911, or a ??? I would have to spend most of my driving time NOT doing what the car is good at doing. That is, I'd have to WORK at "driving a fast car slow." With the BRZ I can spend far more driving time DOING what the car is good at doing (within pretty broad limits). That is, I can ENJOY "driving a slow(er) car fast(ish)."
kb3dow (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #82
JustSomeGuy
A Nobody

Drives: FRS
mines a 2014 and its stock and honestly i thought about wanting more power cause to me it seemed fun but for the type of driving i do (98% highway all year round) it wasnt worth the thousands in turbo/supercharger then the troubles of installing and maintaining it. its perfectly fine for DD, just dont try to race anyone from a dead stop lol. the most i would do is header and tune for powerwise but even then its a lovely car to drive. it can handle all conditions just as good or better than other cars out there so weather isnt an issue, just get proper winter tires for winter and youll be fine.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JustSomeGuy For This Useful Post:
kb3dow (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #83
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Never understood the "drive something slow fast rather than something fast slow" mentality.

I have always enjoyed driving a fast car no matter what I was doing with it, even just commuting at 70 mph on cruise.

That applied to my sport bikes as well.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #84
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Never understood the "drive something slow fast rather than something fast slow" mentality.

I have always enjoyed driving a fast car no matter what I was doing with it, even just commuting at 70 mph on cruise.

That applied to my sport bikes as well.
How does cruising in a fast car at 70 differentiate from driving a slow one at 70?
The only time a fast car is faster than anything else is when it is accelerating.
HKz (04-17-2018), Rai-zero (04-17-2018)