follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #29
Lateral G

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow + Perf Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
This post has degenerated.

The pp 2017 is a perfected car. One only needs more power if racing it for real. I doubt anyone on here keeps it to the limits while driving.

Springs in back are soft and what a real racecar should be. It really is perfected. You can tell they put their maximum effort into making the base up through the PP version just awesome on real roads. The cabin is quiet. Only noise notable is from the primacy tires on concrete. Really need to change those if not on asphalt. They are good on asphalt though. The interior on mine is beautiful. Everything is soft touch and jazzed up
Installed some MPSS tires after 100 miles and now regularly chase down 600cc crotch rockets on The Dragon. MPSS ruined my Miata, but they accentuate all the positives that the BRZ PP package offers.
Lateral G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #30
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateral G View Post
Installed some MPSS tires after 100 miles and now regularly chase down 600cc crotch rockets on The Dragon. MPSS ruined my Miata, but they accentuate all the positives that the BRZ PP package offers.

can you test keeping it below 4000 rpm for a while and gas mileage? i am curious what the hit is.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #31
r3myx626

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited ISM
Garage
Drove my friend's '17 PP and I also agree that NVH is vastly improved compared to my '15 limited. Clutch also felt lighter and engagement was smoother compared to stock '15.
Overall I like the update a lot minus the steering wheel material. I even briefly considered trading in for a '17 but decided against it due to the hit I'd take on the trade.
r3myx626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #32
Azzudien

Drives: 2017 Series Yellow BRZ
Long post sorry:

My official review of the 2017PP. Made it through the break in period no issues, already had the feeling I was loving the car. May 15th comes and I am sitting at Thompson Motor Speedway in a pouring rain in the staging lane waiting for my first track experience.

I have insert this, if you ever go to a SCDA event, ask for Steve for your instructor. BRZ owner and has been running Subaru's for 20 years on the track. (Has not taken his BRZ out on track yet, why he wanted to instruct me)

Back on topic, being my first track experience in a new car needless to say I was nervous. We take off from staging and the first 2 laps are under yellow so people can get feel for the wet conditions (huge puddle in turn 3). 2 Laps down in yellow and I am already gaining huge amount of confidence.
Lap 3 comes, Steve keeps saying "more power" and in my mind (your crazy we are going to slide into wall). But I listened having confidence in his ability and experience.
By lap 7 and 8 in pouring rain we are taking hairpins and 90 degree turns with me on full throttle just past apex right through track out. Car never lost grip once, I was amazed.
Afternoon comes, rain stops, track drys except for the stupid puddle in turn 3. Steve tells me I am doing great as we stage for session 3, I am still nervous but happy this time we are going out on dry track.
We take off and the car is a dream, handling every corner, topping well over 100 in the straight, the brembo's screaming as we go from 110 to 30 for the hairpin at end of the front straight. I don't think I have ever smiled so much, by the 10th lap of session 3 I feel fantastic.
Session 4 comes, Steve is confident in me and the car and we are just flying around the track, even passed a GTR and Viper in the twisty section track. Steve switches up the line a little since the car is holding turns so well.
Best lap 1:42 during session 4. I know this is not a great time for 1.7 mile Thompson, but to me it was awesome.
Tons of comments on the car in pit and garage area, everyone like the Series yellow BRZ.

Final score for the PP package "10". Even a few vette guys that passed me said they had hard time staying with me in the twisty section of track, they were impressed by the cars cornering ability. (They destroyed me on the straight lol)

Forgot to say, 100% stock car, and sadly only BRZ I saw at the event. I will be at Palmer June 5th, hope to see some BRZ's there
Azzudien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Azzudien For This Useful Post:
Crzbiohazard (05-18-2017), Is Always Angry (05-19-2017), new2subaru (05-17-2017), Somerandom18 (05-17-2017), strat61caster (05-17-2017), tacos (05-17-2017), Tcoat (05-17-2017), Var (05-19-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #33
Azzudien

Drives: 2017 Series Yellow BRZ
I would be remiss if I didn't say with the amount of vettes, gtr's, vipers that was there that I mastered the point by pretty quickly.
Azzudien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azzudien For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #34
artongdou

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow
I took my yellow to m1 concourse a few weeks ago, and it was a sunny day! That was the first track day experience I've ever had, and it was fantastic. But the car feels a little bit understeer after apex. I am not sure it was me or the car. But if I backed off the gas a little bit, the car rotated pretty well.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzudien View Post
Long post sorry:

My official review of the 2017PP. Made it through the break in period no issues, already had the feeling I was loving the car. May 15th comes and I am sitting at Thompson Motor Speedway in a pouring rain in the staging lane waiting for my first track experience.

I have insert this, if you ever go to a SCDA event, ask for Steve for your instructor. BRZ owner and has been running Subaru's for 20 years on the track. (Has not taken his BRZ out on track yet, why he wanted to instruct me)

Back on topic, being my first track experience in a new car needless to say I was nervous. We take off from staging and the first 2 laps are under yellow so people can get feel for the wet conditions (huge puddle in turn 3). 2 Laps down in yellow and I am already gaining huge amount of confidence.
Lap 3 comes, Steve keeps saying "more power" and in my mind (your crazy we are going to slide into wall). But I listened having confidence in his ability and experience.
By lap 7 and 8 in pouring rain we are taking hairpins and 90 degree turns with me on full throttle just past apex right through track out. Car never lost grip once, I was amazed.
Afternoon comes, rain stops, track drys except for the stupid puddle in turn 3. Steve tells me I am doing great as we stage for session 3, I am still nervous but happy this time we are going out on dry track.
We take off and the car is a dream, handling every corner, topping well over 100 in the straight, the brembo's screaming as we go from 110 to 30 for the hairpin at end of the front straight. I don't think I have ever smiled so much, by the 10th lap of session 3 I feel fantastic.
Session 4 comes, Steve is confident in me and the car and we are just flying around the track, even passed a GTR and Viper in the twisty section track. Steve switches up the line a little since the car is holding turns so well.
Best lap 1:42 during session 4. I know this is not a great time for 1.7 mile Thompson, but to me it was awesome.
Tons of comments on the car in pit and garage area, everyone like the Series yellow BRZ.

Final score for the PP package "10". Even a few vette guys that passed me said they had hard time staying with me in the twisty section of track, they were impressed by the cars cornering ability. (They destroyed me on the straight lol)

Forgot to say, 100% stock car, and sadly only BRZ I saw at the event. I will be at Palmer June 5th, hope to see some BRZ's there
artongdou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to artongdou For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #35
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by artongdou View Post
But the car feels a little bit understeer after apex. I am not sure it was me or the car.
Well I commend you on the admission that it might be you, and not rushing to mod the car. While I don't have access to any tracks, just autocrosses and a couple twisty roads, I only have 1 real modification (Michelin Pilot super sports) And I could not be happier with this car. I too still have a lot to learn about this car.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #36
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
Sachs shocks - First thing that caught my attention just on the short drive home...the shocks. Very impressed. I haven't driven a base 2017 with the newly revised shocks, but I have driven my friend's 2016 FRS more than a few times. The base 2016 suspension was unremarkable. The Performance Package shocks are VERY good for a stock, inexpensive car.
They absorb bumps efficiently, and keep the car level and stable. I've had coilovers and custom valved Bilsteins on previous cars...still impressed with these.
I also heard good news about the Sachs shocks. Keep in mind that some other parts have changed too. E.g., the front top mounts are new ones. Probably, because the front springs are much stiffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
Engine - Torque dip..ya. Sure. It's there. I don't like it. But whatever. The engine makes plenty of power to have fun with. I describe it as a 'slow car with enough power.' The engine software leaves a lot to be desired. The throttle mapping is very laggy, and it could be due to driving the car in Track Mode instead of doing the pedal dance. It might be doing some stuff in the background to keep the car more stable.
The throttle mapping software is like this on purpose. If you try a good throttle mapping device (without touching the ECU), you'll see that the engine wakes up. For sure it is more fun, but at the same time less stable and much slower. You don't gain anything by spinning your wheels or un-balancing the car in a corner. At least if you want to go fast ...
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Var (07-11-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #37
artongdou

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow
Yeah. Wish I had a coach on my side. Not sure what I am doing wrong though. I don't think I went in the corner too hot, because initial turn in was pretty good.

I will probably get the same tires. And the only mod I want now is just exhaust purely for the sound. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
Well I commend you on the admission that it might be you, and not rushing to mod the car. While I don't have access to any tracks, just autocrosses and a couple twisty roads, I only have 1 real modification (Michelin Pilot super sports) And I could not be happier with this car. I too still have a lot to learn about this car.
artongdou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #38
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artongdou View Post
Yeah. Wish I had a coach on my side. Not sure what I am doing wrong though. I don't think I went in the corner too hot, because initial turn in was pretty good.
When your driving gets consistent I bet you'll notice that you're wearing the outside edge of the front tires rather hard. Getting more camber up front will kill the understeer and give a big boost to tire life.

Despite all the reviews saying the car is oversteer prone, a lot of people who track and autox this thing strongly disagree.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:12 AM   #39
Is Always Angry

Drives: Low and Slow
Garage
Those of you running MPSS - what size wheel/tire setup are you running? Looks like most of you are on stock power... I plan to stay stock under the hood. Shopping around for wheels and tires after next winter/when the Primacies are done.
Is Always Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #40
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
can you test keeping it below 4000 rpm for a while and gas mileage? i am curious what the hit is.
I keep my car below 4k for 90% of my daily driving. Fuelly shows I'm averaging 26MPG, but there was a track day in there where I averaged 11MPG. Full stats are in my sig
Old 05-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #41
Var

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I also heard good news about the Sachs shocks. Keep in mind that some other parts have changed too. E.g., the front top mounts are new ones. Probably, because the front springs are much stiffer.

The throttle mapping software is like this on purpose. If you try a good throttle mapping device (without touching the ECU), you'll see that the engine wakes up. For sure it is more fun, but at the same time less stable and much slower. You don't gain anything by spinning your wheels or un-balancing the car in a corner. At least if you want to go fast ...
I've since gotten the ofh3 and oft. The torque dip is completely gone, it sounds better, and makes more top end power as well
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #42
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Is Always Angry View Post
Those of you running MPSS - what size wheel/tire setup are you running? Looks like most of you are on stock power... I plan to stay stock under the hood. Shopping around for wheels and tires after next winter/when the Primacies are done.
I am running a 225/45/17 MPSS on the factory PP wheels. I'm staying in CS class for autox this year so I'm staying with the factory wheels... no promises for next season though...
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imnotsureaboutbrz For This Useful Post:
Is Always Angry (05-21-2017), Tcoat (05-19-2017)