follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #15
nickg

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Will the more modern front mount kits overheat on track provided you have good ventilation?
nickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #16
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
The question in this thread was specifically about turbos... but yeah, the e-force kit is a compelling option.
-Matt
True, but the second post asked about superchargers as well. Figured the conversation was more practically about forced induction power adders as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg View Post
Will the more modern front mount kits overheat on track provided you have good ventilation?
That's a very open-ended question, since usually the definition of "good ventilation" would be not overheating. So no, they won't? It's totally possible to keep a turbo car from overheating on track.
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #17
brz11b

Drives: United States
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fbm for big power and good customer service

Sbd for 300whp-ish on pump with good customer svice

That's my opinion though and the only 2 kits I'd consider. I'll be going sbd.
brz11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #18
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
For my money the Full Race kit is the best available, if for no other reason because the EFR is the best turbo available. I also like the Full Blown stuff. I submit to you my argument - look at the torque curve. 30 PSI by 3500 RPM:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgHa1i6rK0"]535 WHP 450 WTQ on BRZ - DDPR tuned Fullrace EFR 67/58 turbo kit - YouTube[/ame]
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boosted2.0 For This Useful Post:
armstrom (09-21-2016), NLS8520 (06-27-2017), Tristor (05-23-2018), Yoda (09-21-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #19
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Is the PTuning kit any laggier than the front or low mount kits out there?
x2 I'd also love to hear the answer to this question.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:46 PM   #20
BRZ'13

Drives: subaru
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i went with JRSC kit (twice as cheap) but if i decided to go turbo it would be PT tuning without a doubt.
BRZ'13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:36 AM   #21
armstrom

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
For my money the Full Race kit is the best available, if for no other reason because the EFR is the best turbo available. I also like the Full Blown stuff. I submit to you my argument - look at the torque curve. 30 PSI by 3500 RPM:

Thanks for the info. That's indeed an impressive torque curve! What other mods do you have? Presumably this was a built engine. Lower CR? E85? Do tell

Why the 6758 over the 7163? Also, was this a twinscroll or single scroll? I like that treadstone has an EFR kit for substantially less than Full Race.. but as far as I can tell they don't offer a twin scroll option.

My ideal setup would be a very low front-mount EFR twin scroll with internal wastegate and an air/water IC in front of the engine (see the coyoda setup) using the mechanical oil pump... but no one seems to offer such a thing
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to armstrom For This Useful Post:
Tristor (05-23-2018)
Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 AM   #22
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I can sort of chime in on the ones I investigated prior to purchase. My purchase was based purely on the fact that I'm located in Australia so shipping and exchange rate influences my purchase greatly.

I ended up with an SME (Sydney Motorsport Engineering) kit which is hand made in Australia by Mike, and he has many different set ups, all using quality turbos. One form of kit is designed for race so it uses a different crash bar. All the others do not cut or change anything. My kit has about 15,000km on it and has had no issues with weld cracks, parts breaking etc etc.

If I was in America, I would have bought the Ptuning system. It is an awesome looking kit with heaps and heaps of good reviews. Seems to be made real solid. It does take a bit longer to spool up due to longer piping system.

From what I've seen of the AVO, and the review of everyone here in Aus, they are eh. Cheapest legit kit, but I'd probably buy an SBD kit before I bought AVO.

SBD now offer many different option turbos such as billet wheel, billet 9 blade and a ball bearing turbo. They are cheap but do the job and everyone who has one seems to be fairly content.

Looking at purely long term quality, I love my SME kit (bit harder to get in America with a lot of similar options), or Ptuning. Allows good quality headers such as Tomei etc or cheap ones that can do the job. Looooots of pipe work though making it more of a track style set up.

Oh and Eric from Velox swears black and blue by their Full Race system from what I've seen. He is one that does some serious, serious research and if he chose them, he chose them for very good reason.
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COO86L For This Useful Post:
Tristor (05-23-2018)
Old 09-21-2016, 02:20 AM   #23
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Could you elaborate on your suggestion? I would assume you have seen many different kits personally. I myself am trying to figure out what FI direction I want to go. It's proving difficult as there are several turbo vs SC threads (all of which invariably trend toward "not this question again!") so I have avoided asking the question outright.

I lean toward turbo kits since that's what I know (owned a modified MR2 Turbo back in the day) but I haven't seen a single kit that has all the features I want.

Is the PTuning kit any laggier than the front or low mount kits out there?
I've done nearly two dozen track days on my PTuning turbo kit (series 1). Their series 2 kit addresses any and all issues that would be related to heavy track use. I've since upgraded to their series 2 components (stainless coolant lines, less wiring, less weight, better exhaust routing, better heat shielding, etc...).

Just talking about the entire turbo system, not the car and its heat/wear management.

Anyways to sum up your original concerns, here is my comments on the PTuning kit;

- Fitment: Spot on. A lot of piping to install but really straight forward.
- Quality: 10/10 I can't say much more than that. Not one component has broken, chafed, worn excessively during my track use.
- Performance: Series 2 has a bit more flexibility of turbo choice which gives you options to chose the performance you want.

I have 35,000 miles on my turbo kit, its been installed on 2 cars and like I said nearly 2 dozen track days on it. If you want to see first hand how it's held up, we're in the same County.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:28 AM   #24
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
MAP
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:39 AM   #25
sactownbwoy

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Another one to consider: Treadstone
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...+the+FRS%2FBRZ
I just looked it up, does it come with everything needed? Appears to come with ecutek tune, license and cable, pre-welded oil pan and a new fuel pump. I have the greddy kit waiting for me to return from my trip to be installed. I'd seriously considering selling it and getting this kit.

Also does this kit require cutting the crash beam. I wish there were more info out there on it. Seems like a good kit for the price.

Last edited by sactownbwoy; 09-21-2016 at 06:11 AM.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #26
ptuning

Drives: White FR-S
Thanked 1,003 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Appreciate the feedback. We truly strive to make the best products. Here is some reading material for those who are interested in our turbo kit:

PTUNING FR-S/BRZ/GT86 Turbo System (V2, current): http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=ptuning

PTUNING FR-S/BRZ/GT86 Turbo System (V1):
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=ptuning

Prototype thread:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=ptuning

PTUNING turbo kit w/ GTX2867R option (LOVE this turbo) http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=ptuning

PTUNING Turbo Kit Owners Topic: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=ptuning

Hope this helps with your decision

-Freddy

Last edited by ptuning; 09-21-2016 at 10:07 AM.
ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ptuning For This Useful Post:
armstrom (09-21-2016), Boris_Petrov (12-14-2019), copafeel (09-21-2016), CSG Mike (09-21-2016), Yoda (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #27
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the info. That's indeed an impressive torque curve! What other mods do you have? Presumably this was a built engine. Lower CR? E85? Do tell

Why the 6758 over the 7163? Also, was this a twinscroll or single scroll? I like that treadstone has an EFR kit for substantially less than Full Race.. but as far as I can tell they don't offer a twin scroll option.

My ideal setup would be a very low front-mount EFR twin scroll with internal wastegate and an air/water IC in front of the engine (see the coyoda setup) using the mechanical oil pump... but no one seems to offer such a thing
Yup - built bottom end with lower CR dished pistons, rods, bearings and studs. Also an OS Giken twin disc STR clutch and an Xforce dual tip 3" exhaust. ID 1000 injectors, Fullblown rails, return system and Walbro 465 pump kit. Tuning, install and flex fuel kit by DD Performance Research. Also has an oil cooler and remote mounted filter. This tune in the video is the E85 tune. We are also using a 2 port actuator for the internal wastegate and a 4 port mac valve to control it.

The original goal was only 350 wheel for daily driving on 93. Wound up able to make well over 400 on 93, but dialed it back to about 380 wheel and we are using the ecutek boost control to raise the boost a bit on E85. Also have a detuned map for daily around town which has pretty scaled back boost in 1st and 2nd for traction reasons.

This turbo is twin scroll, and was picked because again - we were only wanting 350 wheel on pump with a very fun streetable setup. Wound up able to make a lot more than that, but we wanted fast spool with minimal lag, and this setup really delivers on it. We have done an STI fullrace kit with the same turbo and it has similarly impressive torque curve and power production.
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boosted2.0 For This Useful Post:
armstrom (09-21-2016), maxjedi (10-07-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #28
armstrom

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactownbwoy View Post
I just looked it up, does it come with everything needed? Appears to come with ecutek tune, license and cable, pre-welded oil pan and a new fuel pump. I have the greddy kit waiting for me to return from my trip to be installed. I'd seriously considering selling it and getting this kit.

Also does this kit require cutting the crash beam. I wish there were more info out there on it. Seems like a good kit for the price.
My understanding is that it does NOT require cutting anything. The kit does appear remarkably complete for the <$5k pricetag.

I really like the simplicity of the EFR series turbos for a street application. I'm not looking to make huge power on a high-rpm built motor so having the internal wastegate and built-in bypass valve seems to greatly simplify the installation. The performance of the PTuning kit is also impressive with the GTX2867R turbo, but that kit is over $6k and doesn't include upgraded headers... Let alone an ecutek cable/license, fuel pump, etc... I figure at least another $2k to add those things. I know quality costs but I'm just not seeing it. I need to do more research though... and maybe find a local car with one of the kits before I make up my mind.
-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to armstrom For This Useful Post:
sactownbwoy (12-24-2016)