follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #29
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After looking into and reading all the different threads about Ptuning, i wish I would've bought that instead of my kraftwerks kit. That Ptuning kit looks amazing.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
Boris_Petrov (12-14-2019), copafeel (09-21-2016), CSG Mike (09-21-2016), Mrc@ptuning (09-22-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #30
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
For my money the Full Race kit is the best available, if for no other reason because the EFR is the best turbo available. I also like the Full Blown stuff. I submit to you my argument - look at the torque curve. 30 PSI by 3500 RPM:

That says nothing about transient response. There's more to power delivery than the earliest possible RPM the turbo can be spooled.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #31
VABeachBRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
After driving my JRSC car and my buddy's JDL turboed car, I perfer the SC over Turbo. Don't get me wrong the JDL kit is nice and has power. But I like the instant power from the SC.

No matter what you way go, just get a kit that has awesome reputation. Enjoy!
VABeachBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:24 PM   #32
driggity

Drives: Silver Coupe with a Boxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Works
+Carb Complient and Smog Legal
-odd configuration/placement
-low power
-no FMIC

The Works stage 2 includes an air to water intercooler. I think the weird placement is dictated by keeping the stock cats in order to be CARB compliant. Beyond that I don't know much about it.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driggity For This Useful Post:
WORKS (10-14-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #33
extreme-86

Drives: 86, Nissan 200SX, Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
Yup - built bottom end with lower CR dished pistons, rods, bearings and studs. Also an OS Giken twin disc STR clutch and an Xforce dual tip 3" exhaust. ID 1000 injectors, Fullblown rails, return system and Walbro 465 pump kit. Tuning, install and flex fuel kit by DD Performance Research. Also has an oil cooler and remote mounted filter. This tune in the video is the E85 tune. We are also using a 2 port actuator for the internal wastegate and a 4 port mac valve to control it.

The original goal was only 350 wheel for daily driving on 93. Wound up able to make well over 400 on 93, but dialed it back to about 380 wheel and we are using the ecutek boost control to raise the boost a bit on E85. Also have a detuned map for daily around town which has pretty scaled back boost in 1st and 2nd for traction reasons.

This turbo is twin scroll, and was picked because again - we were only wanting 350 wheel on pump with a very fun streetable setup. Wound up able to make a lot more than that, but we wanted fast spool with minimal lag, and this setup really delivers on it. We have done an STI fullrace kit with the same turbo and it has similarly impressive torque curve and power production.
I'm surprised it made 530whp, was there correction applied to the dyno numbers ? Although BW rate it at 53 lb/min (older literature says 49 lb/min) I've always pegged it for a ~450whp turbo turned up.

Looks like a great match for this platform. Did your tuner dial out the compressor surge in the low to mid-range rpm as heard on the dyno ?
extreme-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #34
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme-86 View Post
I'm surprised it made 530whp, was there correction applied to the dyno numbers ? Although BW rate it at 53 lb/min (older literature says 49 lb/min) I've always pegged it for a ~450whp turbo turned up.

Looks like a great match for this platform. Did your tuner dial out the compressor surge in the low to mid-range rpm as heard on the dyno ?
That is not compressor surge - we are using ecu based boost control with a 4 port MAC valve using the purge VSV driver on the stock ECU. It it duty cycling the MAC valve and adjusting that duty up and down to maintain target boost. The increases and decreases in wastegate position are what cause that sound. Every single 86 we have tuned using the stock ECU for duty cycle control of the wastegate sounds just like that. The only time they quiet down is at 0 percent or 100 percent duty.
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #35
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Fullblown has been great. I drive it everyday and tend to always race to speed limit. Although I had to cut the cars headlight and dill the bumper.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #36
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
That says nothing about transient response. There's more to power delivery than the earliest possible RPM the turbo can be spooled.
You are right - I was addressing area under the curve not transient response. Since you bring it up however, the twin scroll EFR has great transient response and is very linear and easy to drive. Which typically does go hand in hand with speed of spool.
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #37
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I started a thread for the Full-Race turbo kit to be discussed and questions answered: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111313

Transient response from the Borg Warner EFR turbos is incredible, as is the area under the curve from the 7163 from my experience.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (06-30-2020), ATL BRZ (10-10-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #38
Joeyk

Drives: It runs
I went with Fullrace kit because I wanted the EFR turbo. Quality is nice everything is stainless, and all hardware they use is top quality. Tracked it 5 times so far with it and no problems.

I would actually want a bit of lag so I can put foot down to accelerate and not have to worry about instant oversteer out of a corner. Still learning to control the power.

The new SBD x500 or something kit is really nice for the money.

Sorry but kinda getting lazy to type out the pros and cons of the kit so I'll let others explain about the fullrace kit. Lol.

No matter what kit you go with proper tune is the most important IMO.
Joeyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joeyk For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (10-10-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #39
Stimmed

Drives: Toyota 86
If your in Australia the most solid kit is a Coyoda kit. No need to remove the bumper to install or cut anything. Uses a WTA IC and looks almost stock under the hood. Amazing response due to such short piping and just great quality all around.
2013 Toyota 86 (IQOf86) - Coyoda Turbo Kit, Perrin 3" Exhaust, 18" CE28SL's, Custom Oil Cooler/Transmission Cooler, Tuned by Coyote Tuning, Built FA20, E85 Fuel, Turbo Kit and Oil Coolers installed by Turbo Yoda
Stimmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #40
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmed View Post
If your in Australia the most solid kit is a Coyoda kit. No need to remove the bumper to install or cut anything. Uses a WTA IC and looks almost stock under the hood. Amazing response due to such short piping and just great quality all around.
I really wish I could find more information on the kit. The facebook page only has a handful of pictures, none of the complete kit spread out on a table or anything. Sadly, the only dyno plots I've been able to find on here have not shown terribly good power.

I come from an old-school turbo car (MR2) and was also a firm believer in the short runner manifold but I'm not so sure that's a great idea on our high compression engines. The short runner causes more reversion that can kill top-end power. I do really like the packaging of the COYODA though... at least what I can see from the few available pictures.
-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #41
Stimmed

Drives: Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
I really wish I could find more information on the kit. The facebook page only has a handful of pictures, none of the complete kit spread out on a table or anything. Sadly, the only dyno plots I've been able to find on here have not shown terribly good power.

I come from an old-school turbo car (MR2) and was also a firm believer in the short runner manifold but I'm not so sure that's a great idea on our high compression engines. The short runner causes more reversion that can kill top-end power. I do really like the packaging of the COYODA though... at least what I can see from the few available pictures.
-Matt
yeah they dont update there page all that often . Coyote Tuning is there tuning shop you can hit them up with some messages for some more information. They have 2 seperate kits one is designed more just for daily/street use which is the dynos your more then likely seeing as not many are running there track kit. Most range from 170kw (on aus 98) to mid 200s on e85. Also hard to tell when certain dynos are going to read alot different etc.
2013 Toyota 86 (IQOf86) - Coyoda Turbo Kit, Perrin 3" Exhaust, 18" CE28SL's, Custom Oil Cooler/Transmission Cooler, Tuned by Coyote Tuning, Built FA20, E85 Fuel, Turbo Kit and Oil Coolers installed by Turbo Yoda
Stimmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #42
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driggity View Post
The Works stage 2 includes an air to water intercooler. I think the weird placement is dictated by keeping the stock cats in order to be CARB compliant. Beyond that I don't know much about it.
Correct. The turbo location allows our kit to retain the oem exhaust manifold, front pipe, etc. (only the over pipe is removed).

The location also allows for:
  • short length intake piping to minimize pressure loss/drop and increase boost response
  • better weight distribution (closer to the center of the vehicle)
  • turbo oil drains into the head (no need to remove/tap/replace the oil pan)
The below photo gives you a good idea

And here's an example of the potential using ethanol and bolt-ons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WORKS View Post
@GhostOp86's Stage 2 tuned by CAM Tuning at 13 psi peak boost with E70 fuel.