follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
Yousend
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: 2014 FR-S
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 124
Thanks: 50
Thanked 98 Times in 65 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is the Toyota 86 /FR-S Oil Filter the same?

I have recently had a problem with my Scion dealer here, so I'm looking to go to this other Toyota dealer to get my oil filters.

This Toyota dealer doesn't have thr Scion system so they can't confirm to me that it is the same part for the 86 and the FR-S. I don't see why it would be different but could somrone confirm to me it is indeed the same?
Yousend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
RToyo86
Senior Member
 
RToyo86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 539
Thanks: 367
Thanked 361 Times in 208 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
They're the same.

It sounds like the type of dealer that asks if you drive a auto or manual when they offer you wiper blades too.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-16-2019), strat61caster (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
Leonardo
Today is a good day!
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 13' FR-S, 07' MDX, 06' Ridgeline,
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,021
Thanks: 6,121
Thanked 4,757 Times in 2,525 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
....

Some Oil filters from different brands are different diameters. Meaning that you can hove two filters that will screw into the port and work and look drastically different.



__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
Tokay444
Anti stance.
 
Tokay444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: '17 White 860. Some TRD things.
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,021
Thanks: 564
Thanked 517 Times in 309 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Subaru and Toyota filters are not the same.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
Yousend
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: 2014 FR-S
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 124
Thanks: 50
Thanked 98 Times in 65 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
They're the same.

It sounds like the type of dealer that asks if you drive a auto or manual when they offer you wiper blades too.
Thanks, I called parts at this dealer and they told me they can't confirm they're indentical since they don't have the system to verify Scion parts. They told me they'll gladly sell it to me, but he can't check in his system.

I just wanted to double check that. I refuse to go to my Scion dealer after they tried to change the price on me for a job after I had already signed and paid something but before they started working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
The Subaru and Toyota filters are not the same.
I was asking between Scion and Toyota, but thanks for letting me know. I did not know that.
Yousend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq
 
bcj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Location: pnw
Posts: 2,708
Thanks: 2,109
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I just use WIX filters from the auto parts store. They work fine.
__________________
--
"I gotta rock." -- Charley Brown
bcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #7
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 58,085
Thanks: 51,418
Thanked 82,612 Times in 36,993 Posts
Mentioned: 2117 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
Thanks, I called parts at this dealer and they told me they can't confirm they're indentical since they don't have the system to verify Scion parts. They told me they'll gladly sell it to me, but he can't check in his system.

I just wanted to double check that. I refuse to go to my Scion dealer after they tried to change the price on me for a job after I had already signed and paid something but before they started working on it.



I was asking between Scion and Toyota, but thanks for letting me know. I did not know that.
You know that Scions are just rebadged Toyota's right? Scion never made a car much less parts for them. Where on earth is there still a Scion dealer anyway?

All FRS/86/BRZs use the same filters. The part numbers may change but other than a possible logo stamped on the case they are all the same thing.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
86MLR
Senior Member
 
86MLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2017 86 limited
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,781
Thanks: 308
Thanked 1,477 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I buy my Subaru oil filters for my 86 on eBay in bulk.

Works out much cheaper.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Disclaimer: This post represents the official views of the voices in my head at the time of posting.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311
I'm only here for the biscuits
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
Sapphireho
Simplified fraction
 
Sapphireho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 JRSC twin, '06 Exige, '77 911s
Location: Private Idaho
Posts: 8,075
Thanks: 3,473
Thanked 8,441 Times in 4,562 Posts
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
The Subaru and Toyota filters are not the same.
I'll bet you a beer they are not only identical, but made in the same factory, just like The cars.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #10
Yousend
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: 2014 FR-S
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 124
Thanks: 50
Thanked 98 Times in 65 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You know that Scions are just rebadged Toyota's right? Scion never made a car much less parts for them. Where on earth is there still a Scion dealer anyway?

All FRS/86/BRZs use the same filters. The part numbers may change but other than a possible logo stamped on the case they are all the same thing.
Yes, but there's also the model year, that changed a couple of things, probably all aesthetic but that 5HP might have come from somewhere so maybe there are some other minor changes along. I'm just double checking before I go ahead and spend money.

Scion dealers are dead, I know that, but Toyota dealers here that had Scion inside still have their Scion logos out here and the old non-Scion dealers try to get away with not dealing with Scions if they can. They still do, they just try to steer people somewhere else.
Yousend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #11
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]
 
Mr.ac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: BRZ Premium
Location: Central Coast CA
Posts: 2,150
Thanks: 605
Thanked 1,341 Times in 810 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
Yes, but there's also the model year, that changed a couple of things, probably all aesthetic but that 5HP might have come from somewhere so maybe there are some other minor changes along. I'm just double checking before I go ahead and spend money.

Scion dealers are dead, I know that, but Toyota dealers here that had Scion inside still have their Scion logos out here and the old non-Scion dealers try to get away with not dealing with Scions if they can. They still do, they just try to steer people somewhere else.
Lol dude why are you over thinking this? It's the same freaking oil filter. Save yourself the headache just buy them online from Amazon. Hell if your still paranoid, buy it online from a Toyota dealership. It's just that simple.

Or. If you want to be a baller get a nice pricy K&N filter, Mobile 1, or any brand name filter.
__________________
New daily driver - Subaru BRZ Premium
Weekend fun/track car - '91 MR2 Turbo Gen3
Old daily driver - '88 MR2 Supercharged
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #12
Tokay444
Anti stance.
 
Tokay444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: '17 White 860. Some TRD things.
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,021
Thanks: 564
Thanked 517 Times in 309 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I'll bet you a beer they are not only identical, but made in the same factory, just like The cars.
I don't drink, but sure.
They're different. They're even different sizes externally. The Subaru one is bigger.
So here's how this is gonna go.
You're gonna EMT me the cost of the two filters. I'm going to go to a Toyota dealer and buy the Toyota filter. Then I'm going to buy the Subaru filter. I'll take photos and post them side by side (they're different). Then I'll cut them open with a slitting saw and show you where the real differences are. If I'm wrong, I'll EMT you your money back.
They're different, made in different factories.
Or you could take my work for it.
Or you could just look here. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135234

Last edited by Tokay444; 10-16-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing
 
Takumi788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 1,208
Thanks: 614
Thanked 780 Times in 450 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
And I thought the oil weight threads were ridiculous.
__________________
- Spec13 Motorsports #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread Website
- MFactory/YCW Suspension/SWIFT Springs Coilover thread
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (02-19-2020), finch1750 (01-06-2020), Impureclient (01-05-2020), Tcoat (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 58,085
Thanks: 51,418
Thanked 82,612 Times in 36,993 Posts
Mentioned: 2117 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
I don't drink, but sure.
They're different. They're even different sizes externally. The Subaru one is bigger.
So here's how this is gonna go.
You're gonna EMT me the cost of the two filters. I'm going to go to a Toyota dealer and buy the Toyota filter. Then I'm going to buy the Subaru filter. I'll take photos and post them side by side (they're different). Then I'll cut them open with a slitting saw and show you where the real differences are. If I'm wrong, I'll EMT you your money back.
They're different, made in different factories.
Or you could take my work for it.
Or you could just look here. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135234

They will both work equally well. They ALL come with the Subaru one from the factory. The Toyota one is so slightly different it is meaningless.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Subaru vs Toyota air filter 8inchAzN Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 37 03-01-2019 06:54 PM
Oil Filter For Toyota 86.. Need Help Twin-Dragons Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 1 06-14-2018 06:01 PM
TRD Intake Filter Air Filter Cleaner Element FRS BRZ 86 Toyota Racing Development hirollaz Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons 0 03-15-2017 02:46 AM
Which OEM oil filter? Subaru or Toyota? ndsleep612 Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 25 04-30-2016 10:14 AM
Toyota Denso Oil filter fumanchu1 Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 12 11-14-2015 07:30 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.