follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2019, 11:29 PM   #897
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just come in here to be surrounded by and interact with people who own and drive, or at least drove recently, an FRS/BRZ. I used to, but I believe it disappeared into a black hole at the dealership about two months ago. Thankfully, I still have the insurance bills to prove I still own one, although the memory is fading fast.... I think it was grey/silverish... "Asphalt," if I remember correctly.. but it's been a long time since I've seen it.
bcj (05-14-2019), Tokay444 (05-14-2019), Ultramaroon (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #898
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I just come in here to be surrounded by and interact with people who own and drive, or at least drove recently, an FRS/BRZ. I used to, but I believe it disappeared into a black hole at the dealership about two months ago. Thankfully, I still have the insurance bills to prove I still own one, although the memory is fading fast.... I think it was grey/silverish... "Asphalt," if I remember correctly.. but it's been a long time since I've seen it.
keep pushing.

I've had good luck bypassing the usual route, and emailing top executives at some companies, when I have had issues that customer service wasn't solving.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #899
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
When you got it back, you will feel it like a new car. Everything will feel familiar but new at the same time
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #900
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
When you got it back, you will feel it like a new car. Everything will feel familiar but new at the same time
I agree, I just got mine back yesterday after not seeing it for over 3 months due to the recall. They ended up replacing, headgaskets, 4 rod bearings, 4 intakes and exhaust valves, 8 rocker arms, 8 rocker valves, entire camshaft assembly, oil pan, oil pickup, cam and knock sensors, 2 cylinder heads, and more i'm forgetting off the top of my head. I thought it would've been easier for them to replace the short block at this point.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #901
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post
I agree, I just got mine back yesterday after not seeing it for over 3 months due to the recall. They ended up replacing, headgaskets, 4 rod bearings, 4 intakes and exhaust valves, 8 rocker arms, 8 rocker valves, entire camshaft assembly, oil pan, oil pickup, cam and knock sensors, 2 cylinder heads, and more i'm forgetting off the top of my head. I thought it would've been easier for them to replace the short block at this point.
Most of the items that you named off are not part of the short block... a long block would include the heads and associated parts.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #902
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:

What caused them to need to replace all that? Did you have a failure prior to going into the recall or did something come about after they did the original round of replacements? Also, did you have to cover any of the non-recall parts replacements out of pocket?

Im wondering because my car is in right now to have the engine matched to the car prior to them doing the recall, but once they start the recall I know I have at least 1 failed rocker/spring and quite possibly a messed up valve.
aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #903
Ichima

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemravan View Post
What caused them to need to replace all that? Did you have a failure prior to going into the recall or did something come about after they did the original round of replacements? Also, did you have to cover any of the non-recall parts replacements out of pocket?

Im wondering because my car is in right now to have the engine matched to the car prior to them doing the recall, but once they start the recall I know I have at least 1 failed rocker/spring and quite possibly a messed up valve.
When I went in for the recall, they advised that I should replace my headgaskets as well. So I did pay for that out of pocket, just under $1000. 2 days later I noticed my car not giving any power and loud knocks and taps. Brought it to get diagnosed by a different dealership since the initial dealership claimed no fault and refused to work on my car due to "modifications". States my car was too low and the exhaust was the cause of damaging my heads. Car was on stock suspension and they could not prove my exhaust was the cause of damage. Overall, it led to my car having rtv and metal shavings clogging the oil passages leading to spun bearings, and knocking in the left head area.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #904
Ichima

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
Most of the items that you named off are not part of the short block... a long block would include the heads and associated parts.
Makes sense now, I am not completely intelligent when it comes to this. I'm just hoping that with the repairs done, there isn't any long term damage with the oil starvation.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #905
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
I didn't say I expected them to. Doesn't hurt to ask to ask as it's a 'mandatory' thing for us in Calif. I didn't expect them to, but hoped that they'd at least agreed to do the work of removing/reinstalling the mods. Again, I hoped for some sort of work-around compromise and 'good will' sharing of financial responsibility from Subaru USA since the dealer refused to work on a modded car, otherwise it's it can be up to a couple of grand out of my pocket to return the car to the state that it's currently in right now, because of a manufacturer defect.

My car has been running fine; I don't want to do this recall. I feel that there are more chances of things going wrong than if it's left alone.
i got received my registration renewal in the mail and the recall is not mandatory for me... maybe they will give everyone a year grace period before enforcing it next year? well, at least this will let my car live for another year...
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSideFRS For This Useful Post:
shiumai (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #906
aemravan

Quote:
When I went in for the recall, they advised that I should replace my headgaskets as well. So I did pay for that out of pocket, just under $1000. 2 days later I noticed my car not giving any power and loud knocks and taps. Brought it to get diagnosed by a different dealership since the initial dealership claimed no fault and refused to work on my car due to "modifications". States my car was too low and the exhaust was the cause of damaging my heads. Car was on stock suspension and they could not prove my exhaust was the cause of damage. Overall, it led to my car having rtv and metal shavings clogging the oil passages leading to spun bearings, and knocking in the left head area.

That is a very interesting thing to suggest that also gets replaced... and 1000 bucks? Oh boy... I am not feeling too optimistic about my repairs at this point.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #907
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Quote:
Why did they advise that the head gaskets needed to be replaced? $1,000 is extremely high to replace head gaskets when they already have the engine out of the car for the recall. RTV clogging oil passages has nothing to do with your car being lowered and everything to do with the way that they performed the recall.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #908
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemravan View Post
That is a very interesting thing to suggest that also gets replaced... and 1000 bucks? Oh boy... I am not feeling too optimistic about my repairs at this point.
His head gasket item is an isolated incident and should not be confused with the actual required repairs. He got took on the gaskets.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #909
aemravan

^ Not only the engine out but also the heads half-taken apart... Not sure if the camshaft assembly has to come out or be disassmebled to a certain degree for the recall (this would be the involved labor add for the dealership) but for the most part not only is the engine out, but the top end (... well side ends? lol) is already half apart too..
Old 05-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #910
aemravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
His head gasket item is an isolated incident and should not be confused with the actual required repairs. He got took on the gaskets.
Definitely understood on his scenario. I was only referring to my situation not being optimistic as I am about 90% certain the one cylinder head will need to come off and a valve and maybe guide will need to be replaced (basically same work as redoing a head gasket) and if they are looking to have me pay anywhere near that to get a new valve in I'll probably crap a brick .
The Following User Says Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-14-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue